3rd Gen Engine Failures

Not really sure about that. I don't know if the 2024s are having the same issue the 2022-2023 models are having. It seems like it, but we don't know for a fact.

That's what I was hoping to find out here. Have you, on your YouTube channel, heard from any 2024 Tundra owners complaining about blown motors?

I also have: heavy wind noise, drivers window, peeling protective film on the doors and everything feels cheaply made, cheaply slapped together.

That's what I was hoping to find out here. Have you, on your YouTube channel, heard from any 2024 Tundra owners complaining about blown motors?

I also have: heavy wind noise, drivers window, peeling protective film on the doors and everything feels cheaply made, cheaply slapped together.
Seems like your mind is made. Life is short, go drive what you want!

The story isn't done, the recall is just the first chapter. I know it's referenced that they've been through something like this before with The frame recall but that was a long messy process that left many owners disappointed.

I imagine the next chapter will be either the hybrid or the 2024 models then I imagine the chapter after that being class action lawsuits.

Similar to the frame recall the end of this story will come after the lawsuits and Toyota's hand being forced. That lawsuit was over 3 billion not sure where this one will go.

It's hard for me to give them a lot of credit when during the frame rust issue their hand was forced at nearly every turn by lawsuits and lawyers and lack of accountability on their part.

The story isn't done, the recall is just the first chapter. I know it's referenced that they've been through something like this before with The frame recall but that was a long messy process that left many owners disappointed.

I imagine the next chapter will be either the hybrid or the 2024 models then I imagine the chapter after that being class action lawsuits.

Similar to the frame recall the end of this story will come after the lawsuits and Toyota's hand being forced. That lawsuit was over 3 billion not sure where this one will go.

It's hard for me to give them a lot of credit when during the frame rust issue their hand was forced at nearly every turn by lawsuits and lawyers and lack of accountability on their part.

I wasn't involved in that issue. The last Tundra I had prior to this was a 2006. If we need a class action lawsuit, I'm OK with that as well. The main problem I have is that they told me on the phone my 2024 was NOT affected by the blown engine issue and here and other places I am hearing otherwise. If that is the case, then I have caught Toyota lying which should be enough for me to say "Take the truck back, give me my $$$"

I have heard of 2024s having issues. It is on Facebook groups and Tundras.com forum.

I wasn't involved in that issue. The last Tundra I had prior to this was a 2006. If we need a class action lawsuit, I'm OK with that as well. The main problem I have is that they told me on the phone my 2024 was NOT affected by the blown engine issue and here and other places I am hearing otherwise. If that is the case, then I have caught Toyota lying which should be enough for me to say "Take the truck back, give me my $$$"
Look, Toyota didn't lie. The 2024 models are NOT under the safety recall. Owners posting their experiences are anecdotal stories at best.

Look, Toyota didn't lie. The 2024 models are NOT under the safety recall. Owners posting their experiences are anecdotal stories at best.

No, I was on the phone with Toyota Corporate. They explicitly told me "The problem with the engine and metal shavings was fixed in March 2023".

Is that the case or not? If not, they lied.

There is a 2024 Limited listed here....

Yup, an owner reported an issue. Toyota corporate is going off the recall notice. Completely different things.

yeah 2.7 and the 3.0 diesel seems to be the only engine with no problems from GM
The 3.0 has had plenty of problems, as has the 5.3 and 6.2 from GM the 3.5 and 5.0 and 10 speed from Ford and the Hemi from RAM. They all have issues, some serious, some minor. Some, by some I mean all including Toyota is that we'll never really see or understand exactly how widespread they are.

The 3.0 has had plenty of problems, as has the 5.3 and 6.2 from GM the 3.5 and 5.0 and 10 speed from Ford and the Hemi from RAM. They all have issues, some serious, some minor. Some, by some I mean all including Toyota is that we'll never really see or understand exactly how widespread they are.
I should have clarified, by no problems, I mean no major issues left unresolved like on the 5.3 and 6.2.

I should have clarified, by no problems, I mean no major issues left unresolved like on the 5.3 and 6.2.
Maybe I'm being argumentative but I don't think any of those issues are truly resolved, maybe with the exception of the hemi because they stopped making it. The Ford 10 speed is definitely not resolved as with issues with the 5.0. I do feel like the GM lifter issue is down to "normal" occurence levels just as anything can fail on any engine but not resolved. The 3.0 still has issues but it hards to tell how common due to it being the least popular option in the line-up.

Maybe I'm being argumentative but I don't think any of those issues are truly resolved, maybe with the exception of the hemi because they stopped making it. The Ford 10 speed is definitely not resolved as with issues with the 5.0. I do feel like the GM lifter issue is down to "normal" occurence levels just as anything can fail on any engine but not resolved. The 3.0 still has issues but it hards to tell how common due to it being the least popular option in the line-up.
Look hard enough and you’ll find problems with everything.

Look hard enough and you’ll find problems with everything.
That’s for sure. Vehicle reviewers have reported the the 2008 Toyota Highlander is a problem plagued vehicle. However, ours has been fairly problem free (2 wheel bearings replaced) after 165,000 miles and counting. My 2003 2500 SILVERADO HD has only had the fuel pump, water pump replaced and has never been to the dealer. My 1886 Ford F-250 was 23 years young with 300,000 miles when I sold it to a logger and was running fine, no major problems. The only sort of lemon that I’ve bought was a 1977 Buick Skyhawk which was a real turd bucket.

I was referring to the 3.0 diesel not the rest of the engines/transmissions you mentioned but I get it, it's impossible to find something with absolutely no problems. But finding something with fewer problems or less important problems that do not leave you stranded is what I'm after.

What kind of issues are you seeing on the 3.0? I was looking at the forums and other than random codes popping now and then there seems to be no actual problem with the hardware itself.

Currently dealing with the ford 10 speed problems myself. Had the valve body replace a month ago and it's going in again next week since it started acting weird again.

So basically every truck has its problem, and its a crap shot whether you get a decent truck or not?

I do fear that if I want to see my Tundra, I'm going to get effed in the a, losing a ton of equity. Prime example?

My 2020 Tacoma I paid $37k for. I paid it off (to get the Tundra) and got $38k for it. That made the down payment on the Tundra. So after 5 years, my Tacoma sold for $1k more than I paid for it.

I don't expect this for the Tundra, but let's say in 5 years I try to sell it with less than 10k miles. I'm guessing I may recoup only about 20k max?! Not sure. It won't be the 1 for 1 I got with my Tacoma.

So basically every truck has its problem, and its a crap shot whether you get a decent truck or not?

I do fear that if I want to see my Tundra, I'm going to get effed in the a, losing a ton of equity. Prime example?

My 2020 Tacoma I paid $37k for. I paid it off (to get the Tundra) and got $38k for it. That made the down payment on the Tundra. So after 5 years, my Tacoma sold for $1k more than I paid for it.

I don't expect this for the Tundra, but let's say in 5 years I try to sell it with less than 10k miles. I'm guessing I may recoup only about 20k max?! Not sure. It won't be the 1 for 1 I got with my Tacoma.
If you put less than 10K on it over 5 years, I'd suggest you just rent one because it doesn't sound like you need one every day.

Back