3rd Gen Engine Failures

If you find that weird you haven't spent enough time on Toyota forums Tim lol I've said it a dozen times it's one of the most aggressive owner groups in defending Toyota reliability that I've come across in ownership forums.
Honestly, I think it's because that is the flag on top of the hill for that brand. They are never innovative or mainstream so what they have is reliability. Which is probably why 90% of them bought a Toyota in the first place. So, they are not just defending Toyota, they're defending their own decision.

But they aren't unique either. I dropped from most owner forums because they become too "culty". They start acting like no one else, especially the manufacturer's own engineers, know anything. Only they know the truth and it cannot go against their core beliefs. They'll defend those choices regardless of whether there is data saying it's false. Mob mentality, ignore the facts go with herd.

Honestly, I think it's because that is the flag on top of the hill for that brand. They are never innovative or mainstream so what they have is reliability. Which is probably why 90% of them bought a Toyota in the first place. So, they are not just defending Toyota, they're defending their own decision.

But they aren't unique either. I dropped from most owner forums because they become too "culty". They start acting like no one else, especially the manufacturer's own engineers, know anything. Only they know the truth and it cannot go against their core beliefs. They'll defend those choices regardless of whether there is data saying it's false. Mob mentality, ignore the facts go with herd.

You nailed it and I almost typed out a similar response. They don't lead in tech, infotainment, options, comfort, interior as whole, truck capability, off-road capability, performance etc. etc. They have reliability and resale value. However, the resale part is going to take a massive hit not only with the Tundra but with the inflated price of the Tacoma. 10 years and 150,000 miles down the road people are going to forget that they paid 5-10k more for their Tacoma when it was new. It should be worth 5-10k more when they sell it years later. We'll see.

Shoutout to Tim. TFL has covered this recall issue a couple times now and still haven't gotten it right with the Hybrid. In their latest video they said it wasn't affected. They have yet to show the portion of the recall that says It is affected but remains operable so it's not a major safety issue.

You nailed it and I almost typed out a similar response. They don't lead in tech, infotainment, options, comfort, interior as whole, truck capability, off-road capability, performance etc. etc. They have reliability and resale value. However, the resale part is going to take a massive hit not only with the Tundra but with the inflated price of the Tacoma. 10 years and 150,000 miles down the road people are going to forget that they paid 5-10k more for their Tacoma when it was new. It should be worth 5-10k more when they sell it years later. We'll see.
As I remember that's another reason I left Toyota the 2004 Tacoma was more expensive than my 2004 Silverado rclb 4x4 $18,500 with rebates.
I remember a year two after I bought my 2004 Silverado I was having Toyota withdrawals and I went to test drive a 2006 Tundra rclb 4x4 and I went to start it and it was stone dead I told the salesman just forget it, he started telling me he could get a jump pack, I just left.

Not that this will change anything, but I did try to clear the air.

It really is imperative to be honest and let the facts speak for themselves (IF people want to trust the facts). As Dusdaddy says the mob mentality is in full swing especially this year if you know what I mean, enough said.

And another thread on it got banned. So odd. You would think you’d encourage conversation on a forum. I guess not.
A good number of vehicle specific forums are manufacture owned ,and the majority of the posters with high post counts are "compensated" by the owners . at least that has been my experience .

I love the haters who think it is all about the clicks. If I was all about the clicks, I’d certainly have started a much different channel and become a shock jock.

Not that this will change anything, but I did try to clear the air.

I know I told you to drop point #2, but your approach to it was well made and came out nicely in the video, great work.

Unrelated to the Tundra, in your latest video with the GMC 1500 ultimate Denali, I think you made an interesting point at the end where you said that you always test fully loaded model and then us as consumers, we can see everything and then de-content the truck to our need or budget. That was a really interesting take and I think you're right overall for functionality but it's hard to imagine what the interior/exterior will actually look like once done removing the fancy options. This is made worse since they are not even on the dealer lot and the YouTube algorithm is not friendly to base trucks.

Last edited:
They are also they only fan base in the world to defend drum brakes on a pickup truck in the 2010's... says a lot.

I know I told you to drop point #2, but your approach to it was well made and came out nicely in the video, great work.

Unrelated to the Tundra, in your latest video with the GMC 1500 ultimate Denali, I think you made an interesting point at the end where you said that you always test fully loaded model and then us as consumers, we can see everything and then de-content the truck to our need or budget. That was a really interesting take and I think you're right overall for functionality but it's hard to imagine what the interior/exterior will actually look like once done removing the fancy options. This is made worse since they are not even on the dealer lot and the YouTube algorithm is not friendly to base trucks.
Sometimes I say stuff on camera and then I’m like “where the hell did that come from??” Just some frustration over the comments on always driving the fancy trim trucks.

I do watch your videos and found you on YouTube. Are you hearing of anyone having the engine issue with a Tundra manufactured between April 2024 to present?
Not specifically with those dates. I am hearing of 2024 models having issues. It is hard to figure out the percentage of trucks having a problem.

Not specifically with those dates. I am hearing of 2024 models having issues. It is hard to figure out the percentage of trucks having a problem.

Uhh that doesn't make me happy. Are the 2024 models having the same engine/bearing spin problem or something else? I literally told Toyota Corporate that "I've bought 10+ new Toyotas over the past 25 years, if this is a lemon, YOU ARE BUYING IT BACK". Then I'll probably go get a GMC.

Uhh that doesn't make me happy. Are the 2024 models having the same engine/bearing spin problem or something else? I literally told Toyota Corporate that "I've bought 10+ new Toyotas over the past 25 years, if this is a lemon, YOU ARE BUYING IT BACK". Then I'll probably go get a GMC.
From what I'm seeing on the tundra forum and facebook page, yes the 24 are having the same issues.

Back