3rd Gen Engine Failures

So basically every truck has its problem, and its a crap shot whether you get a decent truck or not?

I do fear that if I want to see my Tundra, I'm going to get effed in the a, losing a ton of equity. Prime example?

My 2020 Tacoma I paid $37k for. I paid it off (to get the Tundra) and got $38k for it. That made the down payment on the Tundra. So after 5 years, my Tacoma sold for $1k more than I paid for it.

I don't expect this for the Tundra, but let's say in 5 years I try to sell it with less than 10k miles. I'm guessing I may recoup only about 20k max?! Not sure. It won't be the 1 for 1 I got with my Tacoma.

COVID era prices of used vehicles shouldn't be used to gauge future resale value. I bought a 2009 Tacoma SR5 4WD in 2011 with 10k miles on it for 23900. I traded that Tacoma in on my AT4 in 2021 with 200k miles on it and was given 13,500 for it. They sold it that weekend for 16,500.

If you put less than 10K on it over 5 years, I'd suggest you just rent one because it doesn't sound like you need one every day.

Its because I work from home. I was hoping this would be my last new vehicle before I retired. I want to buy some property and do some farming so I wanted a big truck. But now, I may have to dump this thing. Taking it to the dealer this weekend to check the wind noise and crappy plastic pieces.

Keep in mind, there are thousands of happy owners out there. For every one person with an issue, there's probably a hundred that don't have an issue.

I've bought 10 new Toyotas since 2001. Yes, that's a lot of vehicles. This is the ONLY Toyota I've had a genuine concern "Did I get a POS"? The wind noise on the drivers side is atrocious, the cheap plastic annoys me and some of the door protective film is peeling off.

Did the guys in Texas make this thing while drunk?

I've bought 10 new Toyotas since 2001. Yes, that's a lot of vehicles. This is the ONLY Toyota I've had a genuine concern "Did I get a POS"? The wind noise on the drivers side is atrocious, the cheap plastic annoys me and some of the door protective film is peeling off.

Did the guys in Texas make this thing while drunk?
I think a lot of that is on design and engineering. Toyota’s built a lot of great vehicles over the years. This one isn’t their best.

Its because I work from home. I was hoping this would be my last new vehicle before I retired. I want to buy some property and do some farming so I wanted a big truck. But now, I may have to dump this thing. Taking it to the dealer this weekend to check the wind noise and crappy plastic pieces.
If you seriously consider farming, then you should step up to an HD truck, maybe even a 1 ton truck. Farming equipment weights a lot more than what a half-ton can safely handle. Any of the GM HD trucks or Ford SuperDuty's are good choices. Ram is getting long in the tooth and are supposedly coming up with a refresh/new platform for 2025.

If you seriously consider farming, then you should step up to an HD truck, maybe even a 1 ton truck. Farming equipment weights a lot more than what a half-ton can safely handle. Any of the GM HD trucks or Ford SuperDuty's are good choices. Ram is getting long in the tooth and are supposedly coming up with a refresh/new platform for 2025.

Not that kind of farming, lol. Enough that a 1/2 ton truck is needed and a Taco isn't enough. I'd get a HD truck if it was more than that.

Better to wait until you actually retire and need it. I bought one when I retired from the Corps and now I'm looking for another as I retire from my second job.

Someone else said that the reason Toyota only basically sells crew cabs now is so there are more people on board to help push when it breaks down, I got a chuckle out of that.

Bought a Ram 1500 brand new. Now I'm looking for a mid-size. Still unsure. I'm waiting for the dust to settle on all the new 24s.

So Mid-Size meaning a step down?

I took my Tundra to Toyota yesterday. They looked it over, checked the filter and engine oil, air leaks i complained about, etc. They said "The only issue is your brakes and there is a Toyota notification about that, when there's a fix we'll call you".

I hope they are being honest, but this Toyota dealer in my area is known to be shiesters.

So Mid-Size meaning a step down?
Yep. I'm only towing about 4-5K now so mid-size is fine and would be easier to drive, fit in the garage, and take up less space in the driveway. I think I can count on one hand how often I have had passengers in the back in the last 5 years so that's fine as well. But I'm constantly loading cargo, beer, and groceries back there, and I've come to really value the flat cargo platform of the Ram. All the mid-size lacks that ability unfortunately.

Yep. I'm only towing about 4-5K now so mid-size is fine and would be easier to drive, fit in the garage, and take up less space in the driveway. I think I can count on one hand how often I have had passengers in the back in the last 5 years so that's fine as well. But I'm constantly loading cargo, beer, and groceries back there, and I've come to really value the flat cargo platform of the Ram. All the mid-size lacks that ability unfortunately.

Ah ok that makes sense. I dumped my 2020 Tacoma TRD for the 2024 Tundra TRD simply because I plan on buying some acreage and doing some farming work (light, not heavy) and I wanted a bigger truck to accommodate. Let's just hope this truck doesn't implode.

Ah ok that makes sense. I dumped my 2020 Tacoma TRD for the 2024 Tundra TRD simply because I plan on buying some acreage and doing some farming work (light, not heavy) and I wanted a bigger truck to accommodate. Let's just hope this truck doesn't implode.
Sure, nothing wrong with that. For me, I could buy a small SUV for running around daily and keep my truck for the long trips towing and other local utility work. That would be the smartest choice, but I want to make that 500 mile drive more comfortable and convenient than I have now. Probably why I haven't pulled the trigger on a new truck yet, I'm still hoping I'll come to my senses.....lol.

Sure, nothing wrong with that. For me, I could buy a small SUV for running around daily and keep my truck for the long trips towing and other local utility work. That would be the smartest choice, but I want to make that 500 mile drive more comfortable and convenient than I have now. Probably why I haven't pulled the trigger on a new truck yet, I'm still hoping I'll come to my senses.....lol.

I can say, without a doubt, the 2024 Tundra TRD Limited 4x4 is a lot smoother ride than my 2020 Tacoma TRD 4x4.

lol...came here to see if anyone else saw that. What an excellent job he did explaining the situation and the details. He gave an objective overview of the situation without the chicken-little crap the others have done.
I guess nobody has day jobs anymore… lol

Back