3rd Gen Engine Failures

Another thing to keep in mind is automakers are part of the process for setting CAFE standards and many of the brands have taken a pledge to reduce emissions themselves. That's why when Trump tried to rewrite the CAFE laws, the automakers ignored them. They were already above and beyond those rules in terms of meeting emissions and fuel economy goals. And they were pushing for even more reductions.

IMO - It is a weird marketplace right now with automakers deciding what customers want and not the other way around. Some brands, like GM, are pulling back from their full EV pledges and starting to consider hybrids and PHEVs as more important. I swear somedays I just sit back and munch on some popcorn waiting to see how things turn out.

Another note on the trade-ins video. I'm seeing some pushback from people saying it isn't true. I find that odd. Why would Toyota fans be calling out other Toyota owners? That's what they are doing. They are saying, the article is clickbait and it isn't happening IRL. Yeah, some guy said, "is anyone seeing this IRL?" C'mon man. That's absurd. Where did the quotes come from? I didn't make them up.

One of the big Facebook groups has posts saying the post is clickbait followed by another post with a screenshot showing a dealer saying no to the trade-in. There are some dealers who are willing to take it in to wholesale it, but the prices are low. Frankly, I still consider that a no on a trade-in. Why would you trade it in for the dealer to wholesale? Doesn't make any sense to me.

I get brand loyalty is a big part of the pushback. I just find it bizarre Toyota owners are blasting other Toyota owners who are trying to trade-in their truck.

I remember those discussions now. On the financial networks at the time, there was also a lot of discussion about Blackrock, Vanguard, etc trying to influence the decisions. These funds hold so much sway with companies, and also dictate the board members, that sometimes decisions aren’t in the best interest of the company or the shareholders. It’s kind of like the push for fake meat. Nobody wants that crap, but it’s part of the climate agenda so certain politically motivated people push it.

As an aside, if you suddenly notice a large company doing strange things and making wacky decisions, check into the board members and what funds are major shareholders. You will start to notice a trend.

Last edited:
Another note on the trade-ins video. I'm seeing some pushback from people saying it isn't true. I find that odd. Why would Toyota fans be calling out other Toyota owners? That's what they are doing. They are saying, the article is clickbait and it isn't happening IRL. Yeah, some guy said, "is anyone seeing this IRL?" C'mon man. That's absurd. Where did the quotes come from? I didn't make them up.

One of the big Facebook groups has posts saying the post is clickbait followed by another post with a screenshot showing a dealer saying no to the trade-in. There are some dealers who are willing to take it in to wholesale it, but the prices are low. Frankly, I still consider that a no on a trade-in. Why would you trade it in for the dealer to wholesale? Doesn't make any sense to me.

I get brand loyalty is a big part of the pushback. I just find it bizarre Toyota owners are blasting other Toyota owners who are trying to trade-in their truck.
Well, wonder if the online quoters have caught on? Start entering Tundra data into Carmax, Driveway, Carvana, etc. to see if they will give you a trade-in price or not.

You should enter the VIN of the Tundra you had a year or two ago into Carmax or Carvana and so on to see if they would buy it? just out of curiosity.

Another thing to keep in mind is automakers are part of the process for setting CAFE standards and many of the brands have taken a pledge to reduce emissions
I'm guessing that many of these powertrains are part of global platforms. CAFE is part of the equation but so is meeting emission and milage requirements in other markets.

If you find that weird you haven't spent enough time on Toyota forums Tim lol I've said it a dozen times it's one of the most aggressive owner groups in defending Toyota reliability that I've come across in ownership forums.

You know whats really going to be s**ty? Is if Toyota expands the recall in the future to cover the 2024 Tundras knowing that the 2024 Tundra engines have the same issues.

It looks like Tundras.com deleted the entire 137 page thread on the engine issues. I find that strange. I didn’t get banned, so I guess that’s good.

Yeah it got messy, with a lot of Code Of Conduct violations in that thread plus Toyota going hard on the forum owners because threads contained what they claimed were copyrighted materials, mostly boiling down to screenshots of tsbs, parts diagrams, and recall notices to dealers.

My take on the whole engine thing.

• I do think Toyota is honest that debris issue does in fact account for the vast majority of engine failures.
  • I think Toyota is Disingenuous about the Hybrid model, the hybrid is affected in the same way but isn't legally needed to be in the recall.
  • Toyota will need to be accountable for the hybrid owners by addressing it as well, even if that's a service campaign and not a recall
  • The debris issue is no the only cause of failures, but the failure rate is probably drastically lower after they started cleaning engines properly. These other failures probably deal with specific assembly issues or errors that affected single engines or small batches.
  • The design needs to be updated, but for the specific reason the current design is probably a bit too sensitive to assembly issues or may be error prone, rather than a problem that the bearings are not durable.

It looks like Tundras.com deleted the entire 137 page thread on the engine issues. I find that strange. I didn’t get banned, so I guess that’s good.
And another thread on it got banned. So odd. You would think you’d encourage conversation on a forum. I guess not.

Yeah it's very strange what's happening on the Tundra forum. I was interested in buying one when my lease is up so I was following the forum and then shit hit the fan. Threads were popping up and the stories started happening and then the moderators deleted everything. If you go on the forum now it seems like everything is fine but you can't start a new thread on the issue as it gets deleted.

If you find that weird you haven't spent enough time on Toyota forums Tim lol I've said it a dozen times it's one of the most aggressive owner groups in defending Toyota reliability that I've come across in ownership forums.
Yes, they are insane. I was part of the 4Runner forum for 6 years when I had one, and you could not share a bad experience. People would tell you that you caused the issue or that you drove it wrong or it was your fault because you were born under a star near mars that was perpendicular to Jupiter... The blindfolds are real over there.

My take on the whole engine thing.

• I do think Toyota is honest that debris issue does in fact account for the vast majority of engine failures.
  • I think Toyota is Disingenuous about the Hybrid model, the hybrid is affected in the same way but isn't legally needed to be in the recall.
  • Toyota will need to be accountable for the hybrid owners by addressing it as well, even if that's a service campaign and not a recall
  • The debris issue is no the only cause of failures, but the failure rate is probably drastically lower after they started cleaning engines properly. These other failures probably deal with specific assembly issues or errors that affected single engines or small batches.
  • The design needs to be updated, but for the specific reason the current design is probably a bit too sensitive to assembly issues or may be error prone, rather than a problem that the bearings are not durable.
I'm doing my usual truck news recap today and was just thinking on what the topic should be. I think I should lead off with the Tundra recall update and provide some perspective like:

1. Toyota should be getting some credit for being honest. They didn't have to tell you it was engine debris. They could have just said supplier issue. And they certainly didn't have to do the detailed report on finding the issue. I've checked two other manufacturers recall documents on NHTSA and they don't have those details.

2. I never once said ALL Toyota dealers weren't taking trade ins. I showed my sources. I think the Toyota fanboys are actually handling this information wrong. Instead of challenging each other and calling people liars, they should be creating a list of dealerships that are doing trade ins for good money and sharing that information.

3. A dealer offering a trade in amount for thousands less just to wholesale it still counts as no trade-in IMO.

4. I still believe the safety recall will be expanded. The notion the hybrid isn't included because it still provides motive power is just an excuse to not put them under a bigger recall.

5. Toyota will weather this storm. They are a big company and they have gone through these things before.

I'm doing my usual truck news recap today and was just thinking on what the topic should be. I think I should lead off with the Tundra recall update and provide some perspective like:

1. Toyota should be getting some credit for being honest. They didn't have to tell you it was engine debris. They could have just said supplier issue. And they certainly didn't have to do the detailed report on finding the issue. I've checked two other manufacturers recall documents on NHTSA and they don't have those details.

2. I never once said ALL Toyota dealers weren't taking trade ins. I showed my sources. I think the Toyota fanboys are actually handling this information wrong. Instead of challenging each other and calling people liars, they should be creating a list of dealerships that are doing trade ins for good money and sharing that information.

3. A dealer offering a trade in amount for thousands less just to wholesale it still counts as no trade-in IMO.

4. I still believe the safety recall will be expanded. The notion the hybrid isn't included because it still provides motive power is just an excuse to not put them under a bigger recall.

5. Toyota will weather this storm. They are a big company and they have gone through these things before.
I think you should drop point #2. Don't feed the trolls or the fanboys, you can't win against them.

Speaking from past experience the majority of Toyota owners are the most thin skinned people alive, you could cut through an Toyota owners artery with the feather of a dove.
I used to swill the Toyota Kool-Aid by the barrel, in the end Toyota left me I did not leave Toyota, it came to an end for me when Toyota made the Tacoma for the USA and the rest of the world got the far superior Hilux.
One of the things I used to do is go to this website Toyota Gibraltar Stock holdings https://www.toyota-gib.com/eng/index.html (still do sometimes I will take a Land Cruiser 79 single cab pickup) to see what the rest of the world got and we were stuck with the Toyota USA stinkers.
1718374922661.png

Speaking from past experience the majority of Toyota owners are the most thin skinned people alive, you could cut through an Toyota owners artery with the feather of a dove.
I used to swill the Toyota Kool-Aid by the barrel, in the end Toyota left me I did not leave Toyota, it came to an end for me when Toyota made the Tacoma for the USA and the rest of the world got the far superior Hilux.
One of the things I used to do is go to this website Toyota Gibraltar Stock holdings https://www.toyota-gib.com/eng/index.html (still do sometimes I will take a Land Cruiser 79 single cab pickup) to see what the rest of the world got and we were stuck with the Toyota USA stinkers.
View attachment 518
I've thought many times of taking a trip to drive all the stuff we can't get in the U.S. I've pulled up flight details on Australia a few too many times. I just can't justify the $10k ticket (sorry not doing back of the plane for that long of a flight). I just don't see the ROI for a trip like that.

I've thought many times of taking a trip to drive all the stuff we can't get in the U.S. I've pulled up flight details on Australia a few too many times. I just can't justify the $10k ticket (sorry not doing back of the plane for that long of a flight). I just don't see the ROI for a trip like that.
You should take a trip to the Toyota Gibraltar Stock Holdings unit in Virginia, I am pretty sure they stock all of those cool forbidden fruit Toyotas in their Virginia location.

Back