3rd Gen Engine Failures

You are a TikToker Tim! My favorite one. But I did just join recently too.
I think I'm going to do more of it. Maybe find another revenue stream. I was just talking with some of the GM event staff about it. One of the people is a 30 year-old girl. TikTok, as you'd imagine, is her go to for social media. I'm thinking about doing more news style videos and putting them out as YT shorts as well.

It seems to me this next generation isn't going to watch news stations, read articles or even know what a newspaper is in the future.

I'm thinking of doing more of these kinds of videos (see below). I showed the girl the video and she loved it. It is fairly easy to do and I have tons of ideas for stories.

The NHSTA filing report just became available.

As of May 20, 2024, based on a diligent review of records, Toyota’s best engineering judgements that there are 166 Toyota Field Technical Reports and 824 warranty claims on the engines in the subject vehicles that have been received from U.S. sources that relate or may relate to this condition and which were considered in the decision to submit this report.

So we can safely say there's been over 800 engine failures.

The NHSTA filing report just became available.

As of May 20, 2024, based on a diligent review of records, Toyota’s best engineering judgements that there are 166 Toyota Field Technical Reports and 824 warranty claims on the engines in the subject vehicles that have been received from U.S. sources that relate or may relate to this condition and which were considered in the decision to submit this report.

So we can safely say there's been over 800 engine failures.
Definitely not going to be a cheap fix for Toyota if they must change a 100K engines. I'm sure they are scrambling to find some fix that does not involve block replacement.

The kicker is the Hybrids are not in the recall, not because they don't potentially have the issue, but because the hybrid system can help you control the vehicle so its not a safety issue!

Some of these vehicles equipped with a different engine configuration have a Hybrid powertrain system. If engine failure occurs on a Hybrid vehicle, the vehicle continues to have some motive power for limited distances and the driver receives a continuous audible warning, warning lamps, and visual warning messages.

It will be interesting to see the Tundra sales numbers over the next few months.
They just set a record for Tundra Hybrid sales last month according to press release I just got. Granted, this is great spin since… they’ve only had a hybrid Tundra for a year.

They just set a record for Tundra Hybrid sales last month according to press release I just got. Granted, this is great spin since… they’ve only had a hybrid Tundra for a year.
I wonder if we will ever know the real reason(s) for the engine failures. Reminds me of the RAM ECODIESEL second generation especially 2015-2016 where the bearings were failing fairly early. Speculation was bearing clearances and poor machining but Stellantis never admitted what the problem(s) were attributed to. Then they came out with the 3rd generation ECODIESEL then discontinued it a couple years later. I had a deposit down on a ‘22 Tundra that never showed up consequently I bought a GMC. I guess I dodged the proverbial bullet.

It will be interesting to see the Tundra sales numbers over the next few months.
I have to guess it will have some sort of an impact but I don't think it will really show up in the numbers much. The average consumer isn't as deep into the weeds as we are with our trucks. Most people still think of Toyota as the leader in reliability but that hasn't been the case with their trucks for a while.

My two cents is this will all blow over by the end of the year and people will forget about it like they did when the 5.7L V8 launched with its numerous problems.

My two cents is this will all blow over by the end of the year and people will forget about it like they did when the 5.7L V8 launched with its numerous problems.
I don't know about that. This problem is different than just about any other we've seen. The failure is so catastrophic, random, and extremely expensive that I can't think of anything like it. I think the worst part is they seem to happen at random mileage with no warning. It's not like you can think you're safe if you buy a truck that made it past, 10k or 20k miles. Objectively speaking, I wouldn't touch any of these new Tundras. Unless more info comes out on the cause and how to tell if your engine is affected, it's all just a crapshoot if it will fail.

I don't know about that. This problem is different than just about any other we've seen. The failure is so catastrophic, random, and extremely expensive that I can't think of anything like it. I think the worst part is they seem to happen at random mileage with no warning. It's not like you can think you're safe if you buy a truck that made it past, 10k or 20k miles. Objectively speaking, I wouldn't touch any of these new Tundras. Unless more info comes out on the cause and how to tell if your engine is affected, it's all just a crapshoot if it will fail.
If I owned one of these trucks the first thing I would do is to remove the oil filter and cut it open to look for metal bits. My guess it’s not left over machining debris but rather a design flaw and I doubt Toyota will ever admit that but that’s just my opinion.

If I owned one of these trucks the first thing I would do is to remove the oil filter and cut it open to look for metal bits. My guess it’s not left over machining debris but rather a design flaw and I doubt Toyota will ever admit that but that’s just my opinion.
Just curious, why do people immediately go to design flaw? I mean this engine is used world-wide and in numerous vehicles for the past several years. It also isn't like Toyota designed its first engine in the company's history. I just see that comment and I can't figure out the motive behind it.

Just curious, why do people immediately go to design flaw? I mean this engine is used world-wide and in numerous vehicles for the past several years. It also isn't like Toyota designed its first engine in the company's history. I just see that comment and I can't figure out the motive behind it.

Well it is spinning main bearings at a rate not really seen in a recent engine, at first it was 2022 having issues, now 2023 and probably 2024. As I said back in the beginning of this thread, we won't ever know the truth. If Toyota doesn't want people to speculate, own up but they won't do that for obvious legal reasons. Also, this isn't just isolated to the Tundra, Lexus vehicles with this engine are also having issues and throwing bearings.

It seems like a design flaw or issue not a we didn't clean it issue. They'll figure it out I'm sure but when and who gets screwed in the meantime?

Well it is spinning main bearings at a rate not really seen in a recent engine, at first it was 2022 having issues, now 2023 and probably 2024. As I said back in the beginning of this thread, we won't ever know the truth. If Toyota doesn't want people to speculate, own up but they won't do that for obvious legal reasons. Also, this isn't just isolated to the Tundra, Lexus vehicles with this engine are also having issues and throwing bearings.

It seems like a design flaw or issue not a we didn't clean it issue. They'll figure it out I'm sure but when and who gets screwed in the meantime?
For me, a design flaw would have been found during testing. They literally hook up engines and try to destroy them by starving them of oil and running them so hot it glows hot red for days.

A mixup at the factory? That's a whole heck of a lot more believable to me.

Also, this type of comment thread happens with all the manufacturers. Every time Ford/GM or Ram has a recall, the comments immediately go to design flaw. I just find that fascinating.

For me, a design flaw would have been found during testing. They literally hook up engines and try to destroy them by starving them of oil and running them so hot it glows hot red for days.

A mixup at the factory? That's a whole heck of a lot more believable to me.

Also, this type of comment thread happens with all the manufacturers. Every time Ford/GM or Ram has a recall, the comments immediately go to design flaw. I just find that fascinating.

Maybe it's just what we qualify as a design flaw but I disagree pretty strongly. If an engine is designed to work with a specific fuel pump and it has a widespread failure that is a design flaw in my mind. They were designed to work together and it did not work out.

GM has widespread lifter issues, we'll never hear what the real problem was but I'm sure they have fixed it. Whether it be a different part or different manufacturer it's original design had many failures.

Ford still can't seem to figure out its 10 speed transmissions clearly the transmission is fine itself because it works perfectly in GM vehicles. So it's probably a software issue with Ford but needless to say they design the transmission and they design the software to work together, it's a design flaw.

What else could it be? These issue sometimes require recalls for fixes and we still don't hear the real issue at play other times there is no recall they just cover the issues that pop up with warranties.

Clearly stress testing the engine pre-production doesn't catch all of the problems or we wouldn't have had fuel pump issues, lifter issues, Ford transmission issues, Hemi tick (lifter) issues etc.

Back