Should I buy a Limited instead?

testerdahl

Administrator
Staff member
If you have been following the channel, you know I'm going to buy a Tacoma TRD Off Road at a shocking $55k price. That's actually more expensive than buying the Limited. Should I just buy the Limited and save a few thousand?

Whichever one you can get. Personally I want you to get the OR because that's the one I have a deposit on. BUT TRDJon and TFL have an allocation for a OR. I guess it’s all about timing and how fast one can get content pushed.

I had both 4runner SR5 and limited and 21 and 22 OR Taco and 22 Sport. The Taco Limited is going to be like 4runner limited to me, kdss suspension, locking center, full time 4x4. Drives better, nicer to own but more boring.

It's less likely any of the other channels will get a limited, and while that'll be a less popular trim, it's still a Tacoma and it would set you apart. You'd be able to talk about the sequential turn signals that apparently don't come on the other currently available trims.

What does the Limited offer that is unique to the Tacoma? Doesn't it have full time 4-wheel drive? The price points of a loaded TRD OR and a Limited appear to be very close. If differentiation is what you are after, then it would definitely stand out. On top of that, you would have a really nice truck also and not spend more than you have budgeted for. I guess it comes down to what the plans are for the truck. Will you be doing a lot of off-roading? If so, maybe stick to your guns. Will having the same trim as TFL and TRD Jon affect the number of views?

I think it might be interesting to see how well it does off road being the lux trim. You'd need to remove the air dam, but that could be it's own video too since the off-roads won't have those now either.

Another video idea for you, Tim, in a couple of videos Sheldon talked a little about what accessories from the Trailhunter or Pro could be added to the other trims, but it wasn't super clear what accessories could be added to which vehicles. Having someone at Toyota talk you through the accessories would be interesting to me at least. I'm planning on building out the off-road we get into an Overlander. I originally wanted a Trailhunter, but the off-road is already at the top of my budget. I'd be curious to know if we'll be able to swap the ARB bumper, trail exhaust, and add something like the air compressor after purchase for example. Anyway just an idea. I have a YouTube channel too, but it's devoted more to outdoors and technology topics. I will likely have a good deal of content on the new Taco, but from a different perspective than your channel.

Another video idea for you, Tim, in a couple of videos Sheldon talked a little about what accessories from the Trailhunter or Pro could be added to the other trims, but it wasn't super clear what accessories could be added to which vehicles. Having someone at Toyota talk you through the accessories would be interesting to me at least. I'm planning on building out the off-road we get into an Overlander. I originally wanted a Trailhunter, but the off-road is already at the top of my budget. I'd be curious to know if we'll be able to swap the ARB bumper, trail exhaust, and add something like the air compressor after purchase for example. Anyway just an idea. I have a YouTube channel too, but it's devoted more to outdoors and technology topics. I will likely have a good deal of content on the new Taco, but from a different perspective than your channel.
That’s an interesting video idea. I know the bumper can be swapped to steel. Not sure about the other accessories. Unfortunately the timing isn’t great for a video right now. Everyone is on holiday break or heading out to holiday break. I’ll have to create a reminder and circle back the first of the year.

I'll amend my take on the Limited based on the local inventory I posted on the Tacoma forum here. The are very few Limited trim trucks headed my way initially, not sure how that will affect you.

I'll take a look at the inventory for your area and see what turns up and post it there.

I guess don't get the limited Tim, TFL got one. It must be the press vehicle though. They said it was pre-production. So maybe a Limited will still be ok?

Last edited:
Yeah that looks like a press vehicle. Honestly, TFL and I get the same vehicles all the time and there’s plenty of views to go around.

I would agree, at first I thought they bought it somehow, but when I saw it was likely a press vehicle it made it less of an issue. Did you decide what you are gonna get yet, even if you don't tell us what it is?

I would agree, at first I thought they bought it somehow, but when I saw it was likely a press vehicle it made it less of an issue. Did you decide what you are gonna get yet, even if you don't tell us what it is?
Honestly, I'm in a weird spot. I can't get the right person or people at Toyota to follow up with me at the moment. That's putting a fair amount of stress on my plate considering the holidays and the clock ticking towards the end of the year. I really want a Tacoma based off of the popularity and how well the Tundra did last year. Just feeling stuck at the moment with no information or plan. I'm not a guy that does well without a plan.

I can see that in your style. You can't get a Ranger either I imagine, that'd be interesting too. I think Toyota is a little behind on production compared to where they wanted to be, but so is everyone else. I'd guess any trim level would be good really. SR, SR5 and sports will all be popular trucks too. I would also guess the first people with videos will do really well, but so will just about any content on Taco. They're just really popular.

I assume the first-grabbed gets the most streaming and hits but, Tim’s channel hits me as the most focused on the end-user. I didn’t find his channel due to the “latest greatest first ever” need. I found his the most compelling among the feeding frenzy of channels out there doing reviews.

Any truck you get is going to be value-added to the community.

I assume the first-grabbed gets the most streaming and hits but, Tim’s channel hits me as the most focused on the end-user. I didn’t find his channel due to the “latest greatest first ever” need. I found his the most compelling among the feeding frenzy of channels out there doing reviews.

Any truck you get is going to be value-added to the community.
It is so interesting for me to get feedback like this. That’s how I see it as well and I’m glad to hear my thinking comes back to me through viewer comments.

My opinion, no. Go for the TRD OR. I'm not quite sure the limited for the new Taco is worth having. The inside on the Limited still looks plasticy and very boring. They're just isn't enough for interior options offered for a truly wow effect in the Tacoma. I think the vast majority of prospective owners will be looking at SR5, TRD sport and TRD off-road. Until the Pro and Trailhunter come out of course.

TFL looks to have just gotten a loaner press limited and it more or less confirmed what I have been thinking about that trim specifically. I think Toyota would have been better doing a capstone trim and not a limited. There's just not enough difference between a well-equipped sport or off-road and a limited.

Have you considered waiting for the Trail Hunter? If you are in no rush for a vehicle this year, why not wait it out and beat the rest of the channels to a hybrid model? Is that a possibility?

Have you considered waiting for the Trail Hunter? If you are in no rush for a vehicle this year, why not wait it out and beat the rest of the channels to a hybrid model? Is that a possibility?
That’s been on my mind lately. I’m going to go over my finances today and talk with my tax accountant about it.

My concern is if the views will matter at that point to make sense to buy the Trail Hunter. Historically, when a new truck is out, the views go down after a while. I worry if there is still going to be interest in a hybrid Tacoma at that point.

My understanding about Trailhunter and Pro models is that they are not producing many of them this year. My dealer stopped taking deposits on those models because they said there was no way they get the truck in 24. Now the prices of those trucks may change the minds of many of those that have a deposit, but I think you might risk not getting a truck for a long time or at all in 24. I had wanted to put a deposit on a Trailhunter in November when my dealer told me that, and honestly, I'll be more than happy with the Off-road. So if you could get one in April/May then yeah I think you'll get some good content and viewership out of that, but if pretty much all of them are spoken for, that might be hard. Maybe that information is incorrect though?

Back