Should I buy a Limited instead?

I couldn't stand it I had to rewatch... so they purchased the truck in Houston and they're driving to Dallas where they're planning on picking up a trailer. That's 240 miles if they go a straight shot.

They did say they were going to be doing a mile per gallon loop when they got there with out the trailer and then doing one with the trailer. If they get to Dallas and then do the loop there they could be around 350 miles before trailering, 275ish if they just go straight to Dallas and hook up.
They also say not to use cruise control and to vary your speed often for the first 500 miles. That won't happen on those highways either. But hey, I'm sure this truck isn't the first nor the last to get an abbreviated break-in cycle.

BLUF: The Ambulance chaser-sponsored trip showed it is thirsty and can't pass while towing a trailer under its rated limit.

No brake controller. This is something that should be standard in every truck. If you have a truck rated to tow 6000+ pounds, and the only way to tow that rating is through a brake controller, then it should absolutely come with it standard.

No brake controller? Then your truck gets its rating dropped to 3000 pounds.

I wish the J2807 standard would force this to happen. It's unacceptable to ship trucks like this without one, and Toyota isn't the only one they all do it and need to change IMHO.

No brake controller. This is something that should be standard in every truck. If you have a truck rated to tow 6000+ pounds, and the only way to tow that rating is through a brake controller, then it should absolutely come with it standard.

No brake controller? Then your truck gets its rating dropped to 3000 pounds.

I wish the J2807 standard would force this to happen. It's unacceptable to ship trucks like this without one, and Toyota isn't the only one they all do it and need to change IMHO.
Hell, look how few use a WD hitch when they should be. TFL one of the worst offenders. It should state that need on the door sticker as well as when brakes are required. But honestly, think 20-30 years ago, built-in brake controllers were unheard of.

Hell, look how few use a WD hitch when they should be. TFL one of the worst offenders. It should state that need on the door sticker as well as when brakes are required. But honestly, think 20-30 years ago, built-in brake controllers were unheard of.

Yes but that was before j2807. If we're going to follow a standard that sets the rating then the truck should come equipped with everything needed to reach that rating. I can see a wdh being excluded from this (no need to ship one with the truck) but not a brake controller considering it's a factory installed option.

We already derate trucks for off-road trims so makes sense to require a controller as well.

Yes but that was before j2807. If we're going to follow a standard that sets the rating then the truck should come equipped with everything needed to reach that rating. I can see a wdh being excluded from this (no need to ship one with the truck) but not a brake controller considering it's a factory installed option.

We already derate trucks for off-road trims so makes sense to require a controller as well.

A lot of manufacturers already do this. The basic first towing package usually gets you a controller, tranny cooler and hitch. On the 2nd & 3rd gen Tacoma that is what you needed to get the max tow rating which I think was 6,500. If you didn't have that package you were limited to 3,500.

"The 2024 Toyota Tacoma boasts a towing capacity of up to 6,500 pounds when properly equipped with the 2024 Toyota Tacoma tow hitch and the rest of the Toyota Tacoma tow package." Without that package you're limited. So, the truck they, TFL, has is not rated for 6,500 it will be interesting to see how they handle the Ike. They could easily add the two package components and an aftermarket controller. I wonder if they will, they h ave in the past on some trucks.

Great factual comments...And as Tim feared, they didn't break it fully in before towing with it...TFL, The first in entertainment truck channel; all that is missing is Nathan, in a Rush t-shirt, saying something delta-9-THC isomer aided.

Great factual comments...And as Tim feared, they didn't break it fully in before towing with it...TFL, The first in entertainment truck channel; all that is missing is Nathan, in a Rush t-shirt, saying something delta-9-THC isomer aided.
I had a conversation with Roman at the Chicago Auto Show about this. Actually, he brought it up.

His POV was what was he supposed to do? Drive around Dallas for a few hours then pick up the trailer. I could tell he was pretty irritated at the criticism over it.

I'm not sure where I'm at on this topic. I mean, on the one hand, it is pretty bad to not follow the owner's manual and then show you not breaking in a truck properly on camera. Especially if you are a well established truck channel.

I can also see Roman's POV. He has a business to run and driving around Dallas for hours on a road trip is just a big ask. I get he was in a hurry to head back to his business and get the trailer back. Plus, he had to fly out the following Wednesday for Chicago. That's a quick turn around and I'd be hard pressed to spend that much time driving around myself.

For me, I wouldn't have picked up the trailer or I would have figured out a new plan. I completely get the need and the ease factor of driving right by the place with the new truck, but it does cast a pall over all their videos. I can see people criticizing them for a while after this video series is done.

I had a conversation with Roman at the Chicago Auto Show about this. Actually, he brought it up.

His POV was what was he supposed to do? Drive around Dallas for a few hours then pick up the trailer. I could tell he was pretty irritated at the criticism over it.

I'm not sure where I'm at on this topic. I mean, on the one hand, it is pretty bad to not follow the owner's manual and then show you not breaking in a truck properly on camera. Especially if you are a well established truck channel.

I can also see Roman's POV. He has a business to run and driving around Dallas for hours on a road trip is just a big ask. I get he was in a hurry to head back to his business and get the trailer back. Plus, he had to fly out the following Wednesday for Chicago. That's a quick turn around and I'd be hard pressed to spend that much time driving around myself.

For me, I wouldn't have picked up the trailer or I would have figured out a new plan. I completely get the need and the ease factor of driving right by the place with the new truck, but it does cast a pall over all their videos. I can see people criticizing them for a while after this video series is done.

This was a tough one knowing what I know about Tow rating and legality. If they didn't add the official from the Manu/Dealer"Toyota Towing Pkg" I mentioned above their truck also shouldn't have been on public roads towing 3k above what it is rated for. I don't know if/when you add those parts aftermarket if it legally changes the tow capability of the vehicle. That would be something I would ask you Tim, to weigh in on.

As for the break-in period I don't care all that much about it because it's "recommended" not required. Similar to using high octane fuel in the GM 6.2, recommended not required and won't get in the way of any warranty issue.

In the end they have a business to run and I assume "hits" are near the top of the graph vs. following manufactures "recommendations." I don't hold that aginst them, they did address the concern in the video which is all I would want from them in that scenario.

This was a tough one knowing what I know about Tow rating and legality. If they didn't add the official from the Manu/Dealer"Toyota Towing Pkg" I mentioned above their truck also shouldn't have been on public roads towing 3k above what it is rated for. I don't know if/when you add those parts aftermarket if it legally changes the tow capability of the vehicle. That would be something I would ask you Tim, to weigh in on.

As for the break-in period I don't care all that much about it because it's "recommended" not required. Similar to using high octane fuel in the GM 6.2, recommended not required and won't get in the way of any warranty issue.

In the end they have a business to run and I assume "hits" are near the top of the graph vs. following manufactures "recommendations." I don't hold that aginst them, they did address the concern in the video which is all I would want from them in that scenario.
I went for a walk after posting this reply and I’m even more mixed. I also shot a new truck news recap that goes live in a few hours. I talked about this topic and towing mpg. I figure it’s the hot topic right now, so I better talk about it before people ask me nonstop about it,

I went for a walk after posting this reply and I’m even more mixed. I also shot a new truck news recap that goes live in a few hours. I talked about this topic and towing mpg. I figure it’s the hot topic right now, so I better talk about it before people ask me nonstop about it,
I’m of the mindset of breaking in all equipment whether that be a vehicle or log splitter.

Here's a thought:

What if the "buyer" is just leasing the vehicle for three years? Do you think they really care if it's broken in properly before towing? Do most buyers care about that or even know about it? Do the salespeople tell them?

I know we care, but we are pickup enthusiasts. I think what Roman did is exactly what the average buyer would do. Especially for a small, mid-sized or half ton pickup. This is probably a more realistic test than we would like it to be.

Here's a thought:

What if the "buyer" is just leasing the vehicle for three years? Do you think they really care if it's broken in properly before towing? Do most buyers care about that or even know about it? Do the salespeople tell them?

I know we care, but we are pickup enthusiasts. I think what Roman did is exactly what the average buyer would do. Especially for a small, mid-sized or half ton pickup. This is probably a more realistic test than we would like it to be.
I think there’s plenty of owners who have towed right away. We just live in a different world that puts a spotlight on these kinds of things.

FYI - New 2024 Toyota Tacoma Towing Fail? Chicago Auto Show - Truck News Recap
TFL is entertainment first and foremost, technical accuracy is second...An opinion based on 1st hand experience:

Time stamp 10:40, Nathan goes into low brow humor and then compounds the error with a bizarre (and wrong) explanation of the closed loop air intake.

Thinking this was an oversight, I e-mailed TFL and included this video to explain the function:

The response I got back from Grant Davis, Marketing Director was as follows:

"Thank you for the note. Nathan is Nathan. Many people don't appreciate his approach, many more do. So we let him be himself."

Soooo, if more people "appreciate" Geddy Lee's man crush, that's okay with TFL, factual information be damned, its about the page views!

Roman need not fret, even if Toyota can now say any poor performance is because of the abbreviated break in, he will sell it off in a year on TFL Bids...Too Soon? Too Bad.

TFL is entertainment first and foremost, technical accuracy is second...An opinion based on 1st hand experience:

Time stamp 10:40, Nathan goes into low brow humor and then compounds the error with a bizarre (and wrong) explanation of the closed loop air intake.

Thinking this was an oversight, I e-mailed TFL and included this video to explain the function:

The response I got back from Grant Davis, Marketing Director was as follows:

"Thank you for the note. Nathan is Nathan. Many people don't appreciate his approach, many more do. So we let him be himself."

Soooo, if more people "appreciate" Geddy Lee's man crush, that's okay with TFL, factual information be damned, its about the page views!

Roman need not fret, even if Toyota can now say any poor performance is because of the abbreviated break in, he will sell it off in a year on TFL Bids...Too Soon? Too Bad.
I make my share of mistakes that’s for sure. I do try to correct them though or at least I admit when I screwed up.

@Beninbeta - this was interesting. I'll be curious to see the full video with regards to the powertrain. I wonder if you think it is underpowered.

@Beninbeta - this was interesting. I'll be curious to see the full video with regards to the powertrain. I wonder if you think it is underpowered.

Thanks Tim, I added a new thread with the longer video here:

I thought the j2807 tests were to be conducted with trailers without brakes? I remember somebody bitching about that on some video.

And I see no reason the manufacturer needs to even offer a WD hitch as an option. They just need to clearly state at what weight it needs to be used before exceeding the stock hitches limit.

Back