Should I buy a Limited instead?

Maybe instead of a Trailhunter a Hybrid Off Road and build it up to Trailhunter specs
I’ve thought about that approach as well. I just have a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth over the Silverado upgrades I did and how much money I lost in the process.

I was kind of disappointed that FT or 4WD auto is not offered on anything besides the limited hybrid. For, me that is a very desirable feature as I often drive on winter roads that alternate between snow and dry pavement. I would get the Limited just for that feature but it will probably be North of $60k and at that price I’m not so sure.

I also would like to see the FT 4wd offered in other trims. I'm sure it's gonna take a hit mpg but I would take it. And the Toyota FT system is so much better than AWD setting I have now in my Ram. Basically, that is just engaging the hubs so they are ready but by then it may be too late. Plus the 4wd isn't really locked either on the Ram. The FT system already has the front end pulling.

I’ve thought about that approach as well. I just have a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth over the Silverado upgrades I did and how much money I lost in the process.
Oh yeah. Unless sponsors send those parts as freebies, you will always lose on accessories. It's like selling a house with a pool. Not everyone wants it nor do they wanna pay extra for it.

You touched on that in one of your videos IIRC. People are shocked when they learn that the $10,000 worth of aftermarket parts doesn't mean squat to buyers, in most cases all it does is shrink the pool of potential buyers and reduce resale value.

Oh yeah. Unless sponsors send those parts as freebies, you will always lose on accessories. It's like selling a house with a pool. Not everyone wants it nor do they wanna pay extra for it.
The thing I think people miss is the parts may be free, but the labor isn’t. The oil pan change, for example, was $600 just in labor.

Definitely gotta think about installation cost. I forgot that part because I usually do all my own mods including engine swaps. I don't do tires or bedliners though.

Speaking of that diesel of yours, have you seen this teardown? Really interesting what a 146K miles look like. Overall, I thought it looked great. The failure looked to be owner error.

Definitely gotta think about installation cost. I forgot that part because I usually do all my own mods including engine swaps. I don't do tires or bedliners though.

Speaking of that diesel of yours, have you seen this teardown? Really interesting what a 146K miles look like. Overall, I thought it looked great. The failure looked to be owner error.
I've seen that video pop up on my feed and I just haven't clicked on it yet.

It is crazy how they put the timing chain in the back, but Iike you said, engineers have to make compromises to achieve the ultimate goal.

TFL just took dleivery of their Tacoma in Houston, 46k for a bare bones TRD OR. That's a hard pill to swallow. Decent looking truck. They're driving it 1,200 miles home and towing the majority of the way so should be some good insights.

TFL just took dleivery of their Tacoma in Houston, 46k for a bare bones TRD OR. That's a hard pill to swallow. Decent looking truck. They're driving it 1,200 miles home and towing the majority of the way so should be some good insights.

This should come with a PG-13 rating for the intro being Giant Roman head!

200-1944232775.gif

I was disappointed. They were first but it's a stripped Off-Road. Doesn't even have the towing package with brake controller. Seems like a silly choice for them but hey, they were first! Big friggin deal, I didn't even finish watching it.

What were your guys thoughts on the towing? I saw a few comments about why they didn’t allow for a proper break-in period.
That's a problem for the guy who buys it from them off TFL Bids...Oh, Wait

Seriously, it does give Toyota a metaphorical "Get out of You Tube Reviewer Jail Free" card for any powertrain issue manifesting itself while TFL has it and uses it for drag races, Tommy's warehouse roller test, etc.

That's a problem for the guy who buys it from them off TFL Bids...Oh, Wait

Seriously, it does give Toyota a metaphorical "Get out of You Tube Reviewer Jail Free" card for any powertrain issue manifesting itself while TFL has it and uses it for drag races, Tommy's warehouse roller test, etc.
Exactly. They flew down to Houston to get it, so no proper break-in was ever gonna get done. But on a vehicle they'll own for a year, maybe two, what do they care? Hell, I would venture to guess 90% of the vehicles purchased don't follow any published break-in period. I had to drive a couple hundred miles to pick up mine so I didn't really follow the break-in spec either.

What were your guys thoughts on the towing? I saw a few comments about why they didn’t allow for a proper break-in period.

I allowed time for my truck to break in before towing. But I've never known a contractor to break in a truck. They buy it off the lot and its put to work 10 minutes later.

I couldn't stand it I had to rewatch... so they purchased the truck in Houston and they're driving to Dallas where they're planning on picking up a trailer. That's 240 miles if they go a straight shot.

They did say they were going to be doing a mile per gallon loop when they got there with out the trailer and then doing one with the trailer. If they get to Dallas and then do the loop there they could be around 350 miles before trailering, 275ish if they just go straight to Dallas and hook up.

Back