Fitness journey

testerdahl

Administrator
Staff member
I just thought I'd share some details on what I'm up to these days for fitness. As a public figure, I get plenty of comments about me. LOL

A little background. In my 20s and early 30s, I was very active and weighed about 180 lbs. Active in that I used to run 5 miles, lift weights and go for long (30-40 mile) bike rides on the weekend. I also did two 100 mile (century) bike rides.

Flash forward 15 years and I started two businesses (closed one), was a stay-at-home Dad with my boys and dealt with chronic pain issues with alcohol. The weight added up and my fitness went way down.

I didn't realize how much pain I was in to be honest. One night I woke up and my thumbs were on fire. I came to find out, I have a double pinched nerve and my back was out of alignment. This was causing numbness in my fingers which lead me to not ride my road bike.

I've spent three years working on this now with doctors. They advised me to see a chiropractor before considering back or neck surgery. I'm glad I did that. The pain has gone down quite a bit and my x-rays of my back look at lot better.

I also made some drastic changes to my diet last year. I'm following an anti-inflammation diet (spinach, berries, nuts, etc...). I also cut out white flour products and now bake my own pizza dough and foods for me to eat. Yeah, I bake. Crazy.

I've also cut back dramatically on my drinking starting in January. I've gone 7 days without a drink and then I bought a bottle of whiskey and went on a work trip with free alcohol (pretty common). So, I went a week drinking. As I write this, I'm on day 3 of not drinking again. I like the non-drinking Tim a lot better than the drinking Tim to be honest. I also think my work was suffering (hangovers and what not) since my alcohol tolerance level get so high. I do enjoy drinking whiskey (gave up beer last summer), but I need to reset my alcohol tolerance back down.

Recently, I've been thinking about my workouts. Non-drinking Tim has more energy and sleeps better, so I've been doing more. Yesterday, for example, I got to the YMCA in the early morning and did the elliptical 30 min work out, lifted weights. I came home and had a protein shake Jill's husband showed me how to make with spinach and berries. Then, I went for a 2.5 mile walk. I ate ok the rest of the day with apps for the football games.

That fitness day above is what I'm hoping to duplicate. It is a softer version of the 75 hard workout going around. I'm going to be 47 this year, so I'm taking my time getting back into better shape. I don't recover like I did in my 20s!

Just wanted to share in case you thinking of doing something I am doing. It is a process and I'm sure I'll screw up here or there, but I'm committed to not worrying about whether my shirts or jeans will fit. :)

This picture is my neck. The red line is where it was at and the green line is where it is supposed to be. The best we can figure is I got in a light accident in my 20s and never got it checked by the doctor. Back then chiros were quacks and you didn't go to the doctor unless you were dying. Such terrible advice looking back on it.IMG_8229.jpg

Hey Tim, I'm glad to see you are figuring out what works for you! That's really what matters. Starting a new "you" is hard, keeping it going is harder, but once you see the results, it makes it much easier to stay on track, which occasional whiskey days here and there.

I'm about one inch taller than you and I'll be 45 in March myself. In my 20s, I thought I was in shape, but when you don't really do anything to stay in shape, you really are not in shape. I was close to 200 pounds at one point. My wife and I started to work out about 2010 or so. It's a lot of effort, but now I do about a 30 min workout 4-6 times per week (mostly Lift 4 on iBodi or fitbymik on YouTube, walk my dog 5 miles everyday and try to do a hike on the weekends. I have never been in better shape. The most important thing is finding what works for you and I'm glad to hear you are heading in the right direction!

Go TIM!!!!🎉

Hey Tim, I'm glad to see you are figuring out what works for you! That's really what matters. Starting a new "you" is hard, keeping it going is harder, but once you see the results, it makes it much easier to stay on track, which occasional whiskey days here and there.

I'm about one inch taller than you and I'll be 45 in March myself. In my 20s, I thought I was in shape, but when you don't really do anything to stay in shape, you really are not in shape. I was close to 200 pounds at one point. My wife and I started to work out about 2010 or so. It's a lot of effort, but now I do about a 30 min workout 4-6 times per week (mostly Lift 4 on iBodi or fitbymik on YouTube, walk my dog 5 miles everyday and try to do a hike on the weekends. I have never been in better shape. The most important thing is finding what works for you and I'm glad to hear you are heading in the right direction!

Go TIM!!!!🎉
200 lbs would be nice. I got on the scale the other day it was 260. The heaviest I’ve been in 20 years. I figure I eat pretty well, I just drink too much and the metabolism has slowed down. It was time to make a change. Plus, I’m finally feeling better pain wise. I don’t need to drink as much as I did.

I just thought I'd share some details on what I'm up to these days for fitness. As a public figure, I get plenty of comments about me. LOL

A little background. In my 20s and early 30s, I was very active and weighed about 180 lbs. Active in that I used to run 5 miles, lift weights and go for long (30-40 mile) bike rides on the weekend. I also did two 100 mile (century) bike rides.

Flash forward 15 years and I started two businesses (closed one), was a stay-at-home Dad with my boys and dealt with chronic pain issues with alcohol. The weight added up and my fitness went way down.

I didn't realize how much pain I was in to be honest. One night I woke up and my thumbs were on fire. I came to find out, I have a double pinched nerve and my back was out of alignment. This was causing numbness in my fingers which lead me to not ride my road bike.

I've spent three years working on this now with doctors. They advised me to see a chiropractor before considering back or neck surgery. I'm glad I did that. The pain has gone down quite a bit and my x-rays of my back look at lot better.

I also made some drastic changes to my diet last year. I'm following an anti-inflammation diet (spinach, berries, nuts, etc...). I also cut out white flour products and now bake my own pizza dough and foods for me to eat. Yeah, I bake. Crazy.

I've also cut back dramatically on my drinking starting in January. I've gone 7 days without a drink and then I bought a bottle of whiskey and went on a work trip with free alcohol (pretty common). So, I went a week drinking. As I write this, I'm on day 3 of not drinking again. I like the non-drinking Tim a lot better than the drinking Tim to be honest. I also think my work was suffering (hangovers and what not) since my alcohol tolerance level get so high. I do enjoy drinking whiskey (gave up beer last summer), but I need to reset my alcohol tolerance back down.

Recently, I've been thinking about my workouts. Non-drinking Tim has more energy and sleeps better, so I've been doing more. Yesterday, for example, I got to the YMCA in the early morning and did the elliptical 30 min work out, lifted weights. I came home and had a protein shake Jill's husband showed me how to make with spinach and berries. Then, I went for a 2.5 mile walk. I ate ok the rest of the day with apps for the football games.

That fitness day above is what I'm hoping to duplicate. It is a softer version of the 75 hard workout going around. I'm going to be 47 this year, so I'm taking my time getting back into better shape. I don't recover like I did in my 20s!

Just wanted to share in case you thinking of doing something I am doing. It is a process and I'm sure I'll screw up here or there, but I'm committed to not worrying about whether my shirts or jeans will fit. :)

This picture is my neck. The red line is where it was at and the green line is where it is supposed to be. The best we can figure is I got in a light accident in my 20s and never got it checked by the doctor. Back then chiros were quacks and you didn't go to the doctor unless you were dying. Such terrible advice looking back on it.View attachment 116
It’s tough traveling and attending all those media events with the free food and drinks to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Little things you can do that add up over time like not going into the food mart when you stop to refuel. Anyway, best of luck, just keep plugging away at it and you’ll get there. Remember, opinions are like butts, everybody has one. 😯

That’s quite a story, Tim. The tough thing about getting in shape is it takes a lot of time. It’s a commitment. It does get easier when results finally start showing, but even then, the routine has to continue. You can do it. I’m pulling for you.

You can do it Tim! Believe in yourself. We are here to support you in every way we can as I am sure your family is. You will face roadblocks and you will overcome them. Do not give up the fight. You are able to do so much more than you think you can. Was it Henry Ford who said, "If you think you can or think you can't, you're right."

I had a doctor visit with the cardiologist during the last week of 2020 and was asked if I wanted to see my grandkids. I weighed 281.5lbs. I woke up on New Years Day and decided I could not live the lifestyle I had been any longer. Medical issues limited me to lifting 20 lbs or less so the gym was out. I was down to walking or riding a bicycle. Walking it was, 5 miles per day regardless of the weather. Diet change for sure. Gave up all drinks aside from water. No beer, soda, juice, milk, nothing. Water. Downloaded the MyFitnessPal app and began tracking my calories daily. I lived on between 1800-2000 calories per day. By August 13th, I had lost 100 pounds. I have since eased up on some of the self-imposed restrictions and yes, I have put some of the weight back on. And that's okay. It is all about balance. It is a battle every day, I still walk (but only 2+ miles) and I still want those chocolate chip cookies and ice cream.

Losing weight comes down to a numbers game. Consume fewer calories than you expel. It is about will power and mental toughness. It can be done. You just have to ask yourself how bad do you want it and where is it on the priority list? If it is not at the top, you will not do it.

I am 50 years old and it has been the worst year of my life from a medical standpoint. I had open heart surgery on September 21st to replace me ascending aorta due to an aneurysm. I have a second open aortic surgery on February 20th to replace the descending aorta due to a dissection suffered in December 2016 and never repaired. I can't wait to be back to "normal" later this spring and do things I have wanted to do for seven years but could not.

I wish you the best of luck and I look forward to hearing about the updates along the way. And just think, you will be able to get better fuel economy in the new truck and wear that driver seat a little less with each pound lost!

Eric

You can do it Tim! Believe in yourself. We are here to support you in every way we can as I am sure your family is. You will face roadblocks and you will overcome them. Do not give up the fight. You are able to do so much more than you think you can. Was it Henry Ford who said, "If you think you can or think you can't, you're right."

I had a doctor visit with the cardiologist during the last week of 2020 and was asked if I wanted to see my grandkids. I weighed 281.5lbs. I woke up on New Years Day and decided I could not live the lifestyle I had been any longer. Medical issues limited me to lifting 20 lbs or less so the gym was out. I was down to walking or riding a bicycle. Walking it was, 5 miles per day regardless of the weather. Diet change for sure. Gave up all drinks aside from water. No beer, soda, juice, milk, nothing. Water. Downloaded the MyFitnessPal app and began tracking my calories daily. I lived on between 1800-2000 calories per day. By August 13th, I had lost 100 pounds. I have since eased up on some of the self-imposed restrictions and yes, I have put some of the weight back on. And that's okay. It is all about balance. It is a battle every day, I still walk (but only 2+ miles) and I still want those chocolate chip cookies and ice cream.

Losing weight comes down to a numbers game. Consume fewer calories than you expel. It is about will power and mental toughness. It can be done. You just have to ask yourself how bad do you want it and where is it on the priority list? If it is not at the top, you will not do it.

I am 50 years old and it has been the worst year of my life from a medical standpoint. I had open heart surgery on September 21st to replace me ascending aorta due to an aneurysm. I have a second open aortic surgery on February 20th to replace the descending aorta due to a dissection suffered in December 2016 and never repaired. I can't wait to be back to "normal" later this spring and do things I have wanted to do for seven years but could not.

I wish you the best of luck and I look forward to hearing about the updates along the way. And just think, you will be able to get better fuel economy in the new truck and wear that driver seat a little less with each pound lost!

Eric
Congratulations on making a change, and working hard for your payoff. I hope that everything goes well with your surgery and you feel great after you recover. Thanks for sharing Eric!

Eric
Thanks for sharing and glad to hear you are doing better.

I feel pretty confident I can do it. I don't have a sweet tooth and, thanks to my inflammation in a way, I can't eat delivery pizza, chips or fast food.

My vice is drinking. When I stopped for 7 days, I lost 6 lbs. I'm wondering what a month would be like. That's really the only excess calories I take in these days.

Today is day 4 of no drinking again. Woke up tired from Sunday's workout extravaganza, but headache free and feeling like I have more energy. I'm going to walk 9 holes with a friend today then I want to get my bike out for tomorrow. Lift weights and elliptical again on Thursday.

We are looking at a shitty weekend for weather and hopefully Spring arrives soon. I'm really pretty active in the summer and I often just do a protein shake and a protein bar for lunch and snack during the day. Combine that with not drinking and I could lose a bunch.

One summer, in my 20s, I did that and I lost over 80 lbs in three months. I think it won't be that fast, but it is a simple formula. Consume less calories (no drinking) and exercise.

Yeah, there are no shortcuts and everything we like is usually bad for us. And you are right, drinking is hell on us when we get older. I remember being a young jarhead and I only consumed from the 4 major food groups. That would be nicotine, caffeine, alcohol, and saturated fats. The lifestyle of a Marine kept that from affecting me. Now that I'm in my fifties, it's no joke anymore. But I moderate drinking and eating crap and just "move" as much as possible.

Your profession doesn't make it easy with constant travel, eating road food, and lots of sitting. It's a constant fight and you'll lose some battles, but you can win the war. Hell, admitting it is most of it. But please, no videos of you in a yoga class wearing a leotard if you don't mind.....

260 was the tipping point for me. Cut carbs and 6 months later I’m down to 225, which was the goal I set for myself 6 months ago. Now that I’ve hit that I’m going to try to get down to 200-210, a weight I haven’t seen in 40 years.

Good to hear you’ve found a path that’s working for you.

Yeah, there are no shortcuts and everything we like is usually bad for us. And you are right, drinking is hell on us when we get older. I remember being a young jarhead and I only consumed from the 4 major food groups. That would be nicotine, caffeine, alcohol, and saturated fats. The lifestyle of a Marine kept that from affecting me. Now that I'm in my fifties, it's no joke anymore. But I moderate drinking and eating crap and just "move" as much as possible.

Your profession doesn't make it easy with constant travel, eating road food, and lots of sitting. It's a constant fight and you'll lose some battles, but you can win the war. Hell, admitting it is most of it. But please, no videos of you in a yoga class wearing a leotard if you don't mind.....
Semper Fi. Always a pleasure to find another Marine

Thanks for sharing and glad to hear you are doing better.

I feel pretty confident I can do it. I don't have a sweet tooth and, thanks to my inflammation in a way, I can't eat delivery pizza, chips or fast food.

My vice is drinking. When I stopped for 7 days, I lost 6 lbs. I'm wondering what a month would be like. That's really the only excess calories I take in these days.

Today is day 4 of no drinking again. Woke up tired from Sunday's workout extravaganza, but headache free and feeling like I have more energy. I'm going to walk 9 holes with a friend today then I want to get my bike out for tomorrow. Lift weights and elliptical again on Thursday.

We are looking at a shitty weekend for weather and hopefully Spring arrives soon. I'm really pretty active in the summer and I often just do a protein shake and a protein bar for lunch and snack during the day. Combine that with not drinking and I could lose a bunch.

One summer, in my 20s, I did that and I lost over 80 lbs in three months. I think it won't be that fast, but it is a simple formula. Consume less calories (no drinking) and exercise.
You can do it Brother! Keep the faith. One day at a time.

My IT Band has been bothering me and I've learned walking really helps alleviate the pain. This morning, I walked the Denver Airport before I flew to Chicago. My phone was like WTF man! LOL
426098097_7503595916317545_4336724855642660914_n.jpg

Have you tried any of the low carb-ish diets like Paleo or Keto or low FODMAPS? Sugar in all its forms can be inflammatory along with seed oils. Keto especially is a great option for those trying to lose weight and feel better at the same time.

Some guys take enzymes like Wobenzyme which really help with any pain that is arthritic.

Have you tried any of the low carb-ish diets like Paleo or Keto or low FODMAPS? Sugar in all its forms can be inflammatory along with seed oils. Keto especially is a great option for those trying to lose weight and feel better at the same time.

Some guys take enzymes like Wobenzyme which really help with any pain that is arthritic.
With my diet restrictions, due to inflammation, I'm basically doing a version of Keto and Paleo combined. I swear the list of things I can't eat is longer than the list of things I can eat. LOL

Back