3rd Gen Engine Failures

Just finished watching the video. This should be retitled “why I hate particulate filters.” LOL.

This guy reminds me of various mechanics I had for roommates and friends I have who are mechanics. They all share the same view point that is make the engine as simple as possible and buy the cheapest model of vehicle you can. They never seem to discuss power delivery or performance. And they don’t give a crap about emissions one bit. They are only concerned with how to repair it and how expensive it will be when it breaks. Not an “if,” rather a “when.”

Specifically to this video, I did think it was interesting his discussion on separate coolers for the turbos. It seemed like he didn’t understand that while, yes the coolant lines could fail, they do work to solve the more expensive issue of the turbo failing.
Tim, i read your comment about power delivery recently in response to a commenter comparing the GM 2.7 liter four cylinder in the Colorado/Canyon and the Ford 2.7 six in the Ranger and F-150. Pardon my ignorance, but can you elaborate on what you mean? Are you talking about when peak torque gets delivered?

Tim, i read your comment about power delivery recently in response to a commenter comparing the GM 2.7 liter four cylinder in the Colorado/Canyon and the Ford 2.7 six in the Ranger and F-150. Pardon my ignorance, but can you elaborate on what you mean? Are you talking about when peak torque gets delivered?
Not completely sure on which comment, but yes, I bring up torque curve quite often in the comments aka peak torque. For me, just because one engine has more torque than another, if it takes longer to reach that torque, then most people won’t notice. If max torque is reached quite soon, the truck is just going to feel faster.

I’d also add if you are coming from an older truck, a NA V8 engine and haven’t driven a new turbo engine, you’ll be blown away at how much a little “four banger” can feel like a bigger engine.

Toyota released a somewhat cryptic recall today for the 2022-2023's for debris left in the engine block during manufacture.

Toyota released a somewhat cryptic recall today for the 2022-2023's for debris left in the engine block during manufacture.

I seem to have a faint memory of a similar recall in the past. I don't remember which manufacturer it was though. I suspect contamination in these engines with extremely tight tolerances is really bad for oil flow. Combine that with the higher stresses on a small displacement turbo engine and you've got a recipe for failure.

I seem to have a faint memory of a similar recall in the past. I don't remember which manufacturer it was though. I suspect contamination in these engines with extremely tight tolerances is really bad for oil flow. Combine that with the higher stresses on a small displacement turbo engine and you've got a recipe for failure.
Really bad for the camshaft and crank bearings and journals. Watch a video of “I do cars” and see the devastation caused by debris in the bearing interfaces. Not sure how Toyota going to determine bearing and journal damage without disassembling the engine.

I am a little suspicious of the debris story, is Toyota trying to use the debris explanation to cover up a bad engineering issue with the engine? Another thing too, is this recall going to cover the Japanese built engines for vehicles built in Japan too?

I am a little suspicious of the debris story, is Toyota trying to use the debris explanation to cover up a bad engineering issue with the engine? Another thing too, is this recall going to cover the Japanese built engines for vehicles built in Japan too?
Isn't GM blaming 6.2L failures on improperly cleaned blocks? I don't see what they gain by blaming an engineering issue on manufacturing.

Isn't GM blaming 6.2L failures on improperly cleaned blocks? I don't see what they gain by blaming an engineering issue on manufacturing.
I was wondering about an engineering issue because it looks like the engines built in Japan are failing too, unless Toyota uses the same cleaning procedure after machining in the USA and Japanese built engines.

I was wondering about an engineering issue because it looks like the engines built in Japan are failing too, unless Toyota uses the same cleaning procedure after machining in the USA and Japanese built engines.
Same procedures at all Toyota plants. When I visited Tahara, it looked just like San Antonio for example.

I hate to type this but you would have to a loon to buy a Tundra or any Toyota/Lexus with this engine at this point, someone in another forum brought up a good point as to why Toyota did not recall the 2024 Tundra's too as Toyota would have to put a stop sale order on all of the Tundra's in dealer inventories and they would be sitting for a very long time waiting for parts and repairs, this is a nightmare for Toyota.

Another thing, doesn't the warranty department communicate with the engineering department and tell them, hey we have had twenty (or whatever number) engines replaced with the same problem you guys should fly out there and figure out what the problem is ASAFP and figure this out, don't come back until its fixed.
I think a few hundred thousand dollars in hotel fees, plane tickets and rental car fees is a lot less than billions.

Another thing, doesn't the warranty department communicate with the engineering department and tell them, hey we have had twenty (or whatever number) engines replaced with the same problem you guys should fly out there and figure out what the problem is ASAFP and figure this out, don't come back until its fixed.
I think a few hundred thousand dollars in hotel fees, plane tickets and rental car fees is a lot less than billions.
Yes. There’s often a special group of engineers who monitor warranty claims and, if necessary, they will either send in a regional engineer or fly in from corporate. That’s what happened on my 2022 Tundra. They sent engineers in from corporate.

With the recall, they likely did a bunch of travel and after multiple reports, that’s how they traced it to manufacturing.

Machining debris was the same excuse that Hyundai used on the Theta II engine premature failure . The good news is that like Hyundai, Toyota owners will probably get lifetime engine replacement warranty's .

I want to say yes, but I need to research it. It’s a global engine, so it might have two plants. I’ll email Toyota and see what they have to say.
Saw another website spreading this story and referencing Pickup Truck Talk website for breaking the news! I thought that was great for Tim except the story said it was the Tacomas being recalled not the Tundras. lol...they were this close!

Back