2025 Ram 1500 coverage

Any lifter can fail and plenty before 09 did. But you cannot deny the greater occurrence and identification of it in the post-2009 redesign. I joined the forums when I bought my first one in 06. I didn't hear much about it until 2010. Bought my second in 2011. And yes, there is an enormous difference between the "tick" causes. Lifters just being one. That's my point of wondering what the actual rate of occurrence of lifter failure is. My belief is that they took notice, looked into it, saw low numbers, realized there wasn't much they could do, and let it go. A "bad" batch of parts is a QC issue, and that can be fixed. Design issues? Not cheaply, so they weigh it and just continue as is. That's manufacturing.

And I agree, I wouldn't bother asking the engineer about it because it doesn't really matter. If they did investigate and identify the root cause, he isn't going to say much about it while there is a lawsuit in play. I'd hit him with questions about the new engine and new tech on the '25s. Not silly crap like "why does the Tungsten only have a 1K payload?". More like; Is the oil quantity system that accurate and dependable?
I've added the lack of a dipstick to my list.

BTW, interview set for March 8. Video will come out that same day.
Another question would be about overall maintenance. Standard stuff? Oil changes, etc or is there anything new and more frequent because of the turbos. Like when the Hemi first arrived, we had 16 plugs due every 30K miles, and they were buried deep in the engine. The top of that engine is not a comfortable place to lay across for an hour....lol

You know what. I'll share with everyone my list of questions and you can chime in if there is something I'm missing. Another big benefit to being a forum member!!

Just to be clear, I don't normally put together a list of questions beforehand. However, the software I use, let's people add their own slides and videos. This means it is actually a better video overall if they, the engineers, can see the question and gather the relevant charts or video/s before the interview. Like the durability video I reference below. Wait until you see that one!

Questions:

History
- I'd like to start with going back in time first.
- when you knew the Hemi was going away and you had a blank slate for a new engine to be developed, why go with an inline 6? Why not say an inline 4 or a V-series?
- why couldn't the Hemi V8 be updated to meet emissions?
- How long was the development process for the Hurricane?

Durability - let's see that video again he showed at the presentation!
- I know automakers don't like to talk about durability in terms of miles and I won't be asking that question. Instead, I'm wondering what can be shared about the durability process without giving away corporate secrets. For example, I know you run the engines at red hot temperatures to see how they perform. Can he speak more in-depth into that process? Also, I'm keenly interested in the turbos since their durability continues to be a big concern.

Cooling
- speaking of turbos, I know cooling is a key part of turbo longevity. And I know there has been a lot of engineering put into cooling. Frankly, I'd like to just ask the question and let Alan go with whatever charts, images and what not to share. I know I missed part of a discussion he was having with another journalist about cooling and I'd like to get that on camera. IIRC there was something about a cooling setup on the passenger side of the engine using water. Hopefully that sounds familiar.

- I'd also want to discuss cooling with regards to towing and the J2807 standard. My understanding is cooling is the really limiting factor for most engines and not HP or torque to meet the towing standard. Is that correct?

Oil type, intervals
- It never ceases to amaze me how people are ok spending tens of thousands of dollars on a new truck and then want to argue about what oil to use. Let's discuss that.

- What oil type do you recommend? I've heard the lighter weight oil is for fuel economy and I've also talked with mechanics who state the lighter oil is also due to advancements in engine design. I'm going to assume both are right and I'm wondering where Alan is with this thought. Also, maybe share what oil type was recommended when he started and discuss why the change over the years.

I'm also curious how much interaction there is between oil companies and engine engineers. Without naming names, do they come to you and try to pitch you new oil types?

- What oil interval do you recommend? Frankly, I can't believe the arguments over this item as well online. Can he shed any light on why we are doing longer intervals?

- Is there such a thing as break-in oil? What is the engine break-in process and what is the goal of the engine break-in process? For example, can I damage the engine if I tow immediately?

Starter

The concern is the starter reliability with start/stop systems.

- is start/stop bad on the engine? Will it cause the starter to die faster?

I've been led to believe the starter is a lot different than it used to be. I wonder if there's a photo of say a 2010 starter versus a 2024 starter.

Final question

This is a fun one. What is one thing Alan has seen online about old school engine thinking that just doesn't apply anymore?

Examples I came up off the top of my head:

- Carbon buildup is a massive issue and you MUST have direct and port injection to clean it.
- cylinder deactivation uses oil and is bad for the engine.
- turbochargers are a ticking time bomb
- new turbo engines don't need that much cooling
- light-weight oil will damage the engine due to not being thick enough

I would hit them up on the start stop, many guys keep their trucks for 10 years +, if your running around in a city, over 10 years you can accumulate 300,000 start stops easily, and with a turbo, I'd really want to know what they have done for cooling and lubrication

By the way Ive been to the Chelsea proving grounds a few times. quite the neat place, I loved their rust room, a building where they accelerate the rusting process on vehicles, then there is the guy who's job is to run a vehicle through a carwash all day/night for who knows how many times and how long. I remember seeing an all wheel drive Viper that never made it to production.

By the way Ive been to the Chelsea proving grounds a few times. quite the neat place, I loved their rust room, a building where they accelerate the rusting process on vehicles, then there is the guy who's job is to run a vehicle through a carwash all day/night for who knows how many times and how long. I remember seeing an all wheel drive Viper that never made it to production.

Where they "accelerate rusting"? Holy crap, I think Ram is making them rust fast enough, they don't need to accelerate it anymore! For testing it would be easier and cheaper to just let the employees drive them home, they are in Michigan so that should work quickly.

I would hit them up on the start stop, many guys keep their trucks for 10 years +, if your running around in a city, over 10 years you can accumulate 300,000 start stops easily, and with a turbo, I'd really want to know what they have done for cooling and lubrication
You do bring up a good point. The start/stop crap has been around long enough. I wonder what it does to long term reliability compared to not having it.

You do bring up a good point. The start/stop crap has been around long enough. I wonder what it does to long term reliability compared to not having it.
You could say "long enough."

"The first vehicle to use the automatic on/off switch was the six-cylinder Toyota Crown in 1974 and was already claiming a 10% gas saving in traffic. In the 1980s, the Fiat Regata "ES" with the City-matic system and Volkswagen Polo "Formel E" also used similar devices."

You could say "long enough."

"The first vehicle to use the automatic on/off switch was the six-cylinder Toyota Crown in 1974 and was already claiming a 10% gas saving in traffic. In the 1980s, the Fiat Regata "ES" with the City-matic system and Volkswagen Polo "Formel E" also used similar devices."

Good point but you know none of those Fiats ever reach high miles any way so no info to be had there....lol

Mainstream vehicles started using it about 2010 you think?

I'm particularly interested in the discussion of why Ram choose an inline 6 architecture. Primary and secondary balance are obvious answers, and it could be argued that inline engines are less complex than V-engines, but what are the other factors that pushed Ram in this direction. What compromises did they need to make. GM’s decision to put the oil belt on the back of the engine was ostensibly done so the 3.0L Duramax would fit in the 1500. Has Ram had to make their own compromises.

I'm particularly interested in the discussion of why Ram choose an inline 6 architecture. Primary and secondary balance are obvious answers, and it could be argued that inline engines are less complex than V-engines, but what are the other factors that pushed Ram in this direction. What compromises did they need to make. GM’s decision to put the oil belt on the back of the engine was ostensibly done so the 3.0L Duramax would fit in the 1500. Has Ram had to make their own compromises.
That is an interesting question, why did they go inline vs V? Being an old Jeep guy where the I6 became legendary, I've always been a fan of the inline. An old I6 performance shop called Clifford has a logo "6=8". Ford 300 and Slant 6 were also great.

Like you said, balance and fewer moving parts are a plus. Another plus for me was accessibility. Plugs/distributor on one side and intake/exhaust on the other. Not a huge deal in modern engines but could still factor in as helpful. Definitely better than a Hemi. I think most stayed with the V6 because they could turn it sideways for their car lines which they couldn't do with the I6 and V6s were mini versions of the V8s as well which could cut down on parts.

Alan (lead engineer for the engine) said they chose it because an inline is smooth and has the NVH they are looking for in a luxury type of truck.

Given that Hurricane shares its architecture with a 4 cylinder engine like JLR's Ingenium engine family, is Stellantis looking at making a diesel version of the Hurricane like JLR has done with Ingenium?

https://www.autonews.com/cars-concepts/stellantis-rebuilding-lineup-gasoline-diesel-engines

Behind a pay wall, but maybe a hint on the possibility I raise?
“We don’t talk about future products.” It’s the standard corporate line from video interviews. On site, in person at a bar can often yield more interesting results. 😄

Another engine to to look at when pondering the future reliablility of the Hurricane is the 2.7 turbo in the Silverado. It's been out 4 years now and it seems to be decently reliable (if I'm not mistaken) judging from the owner vids I see.
The engineers did several notable things for durability like iron cylinder liners, a coolant tube routed directly to the turbo and extra strong connecting rods, the newer Turbomax version also added extra webbing to the block for strength.

Another engine to to look at when pondering the future reliablility of the Hurricane is the 2.7 turbo in the Silverado. It's been out 4 years now and it seems to be decently reliable (if I'm not mistaken) judging from the owner vids I see.
The engineers did several notable things for durability like iron cylinder liners, a coolant tube routed directly to the turbo and extra strong connecting rods, the newer Turbomax version also added extra webbing to the block for strength.
They also extended the warranty to 100k miles to reduce the anxiety over owning a small turbo engine.

Back