2025 Ram 1500 coverage

Any news on the questions I put together about the hemi?
The news is the same. They aren't going to answer. Sorry. They have moved on to focusing on the Hurricane.

I did manage to slip in one question about the changing oil types over the years. That's about the best I could do.

No you haven't missed it. I'm just struggling to get that video out. I basically only have a walk around, some driving impressions from my drive partner and some b-roll. I need to include a build and price to round it out. It just doesn't excite me to put together if that makes sense as well after putting out all the other Ram videos. I'll work on it this afternoon though. I need to just get it done.
yes i do understand. its all good I'm still waiting for the mpg to come out. are they telling you that you cant tell anyone yet what the mpg is yet? like the driving videos? no rush still have some time before I put the money down

Really looking forward to this. One of my favorite videos on PUTT was the deep dive with the GM 2.7T engineer Kevin Luchansky.
I’m pretty damn excited this morning about this video. I want to run it NOW! However, I’ve learned, begrudgingly, over the years, it is much better to plan it out. Set a reasonable time everyone can watch it. Join in the conversation via the premiere feature. All of this really helps boost views and the business.

It kills me though. I was so thrilled with how the interview went I wanted to go live immediately. I hate waiting. LOL

I’m pretty damn excited this morning about this video. I want to run it NOW! However, I’ve learned, begrudgingly, over the years, it is much better to plan it out. Set a reasonable time everyone can watch it. Join in the conversation via the premiere feature. All of this really helps boost views and the business.

It kills me though. I was so thrilled with how the interview went I wanted to go live immediately. I hate waiting. LOL
Join in the conversation via the premiere feature
What is the premiere feature? On this forum, YT or the website?

Given the thumbnail title, figure this would cover the last few minutes...It is so bad, it is good.

What is the premiere feature? On this forum, YT or the website?
On YouTube. It allows me to set a time for the video to go live and then people can comment as the video is playing. I join in the comments as well and try to answer questions.

BTW, this the screen I get showing views and how the video has stacked up in the same time period as other videos. The 4 out of the last 10 is rather disappointing, but I find engineer interviews go that way to start. They are usually what I call a "slow burn" video where they get shared and referenced a lot in different groups. Then they gradually get the views.

For reference, the second image is from the GM 3.0L engineer interview.

I do think these kinds of interviews is what makes the channel different than other channels. I also tend to think I'm getting better at interviewing people.

Finally, Alan and I chatted afterward and he told me my Ram towing video was one of the few videos he showed the team after he got back from the event. That was pretty cool to hear.

Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 8.53.56 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-03-09 at 8.55.51 AM.png

Wow, Out of the Park on it. Glad you asked about Thermal Management, AKA, cooling, which was my first big question. Great detail on the low temperature circuit and the problem of turbo coking after long trips and drivers not letting the engine run after a long trip to allow oil exchange. Towing comments regarding spark retardation and the critique on the SAE standard being narrow focused were refreshing to hear.

I had a call at the beginning of the video I had to take, so I may have missed any question/answer on the GDI aspect. He did mention in the High Pressure direct injection in a couple of topics, but nothing on why, like GM, they go with GDI only and not port/direct combo like Ford and Toyota in the engine.

Here is EE on the plasma spray in the bores as opposed to iron liners he mentioned. I'm old enough to remember adults complaining about "tin can" Vega engines and was an adult myself when the '90s Porsche/BMW Nikasil and high sulfur fuels debacle happened, so still glad my LC9 has iron cylinder liners (still a bit of a sceptic):

Great job Tim.

BTW, this the screen I get showing views and how the video has stacked up in the same time period as other videos. The 4 out of the last 10 is rather disappointing, but I find engineer interviews go that way to start. They are usually what I call a "slow burn" video where they get shared and referenced a lot in different groups. Then they gradually get the views.

For reference, the second image is from the GM 3.0L engineer interview.

I do think these kinds of interviews is what makes the channel different than other channels. I also tend to think I'm getting better at interviewing people.

Finally, Alan and I chatted afterward and he told me my Ram towing video was one of the few videos he showed the team after he got back from the event. That was pretty cool to hear.

View attachment 274View attachment 275
Just a suggestion to possibly help the "durability" of the episode: Can you segment topics into chapters to aid finding particular bits of information, i.e. Chapter 1, Why Inline Six, Chapter 2, Durability, etc. As these trucks come into inventory, I'm sure the inevitable back and forth at home after test drives will occur and consumers researching the vehicles to prove or disprove their significant others point (Yeah, it happens and we have ALL done it) may see this and want to see a particular topic they want to know about instead of starting from the beginning, i.e. "Uncle Bob's '78 Dodge Monaco overheated and so all Crysssleeeers overheat." Calling out cooling or towing or power in the video may help when the Lockhorn family is arguing over which truck to buy and inevitable old tropes come out.

Just a suggestion to possibly help the "durability" of the episode: Can you segment topics into chapters to aid finding particular bits of information, i.e. Chapter 1, Why Inline Six, Chapter 2, Durability, etc. As these trucks come into inventory, I'm sure the inevitable back and forth at home after test drives will occur and consumers researching the vehicles to prove or disprove their significant others point (Yeah, it happens and we have ALL done it) may see this and want to see a particular topic they want to know about instead of starting from the beginning, i.e. "Uncle Bob's '78 Dodge Monaco overheated and so all Crysssleeeers overheat." Calling out cooling or towing or power in the video may help when the Lockhorn family is arguing over which truck to buy and inevitable old tropes come out.
Good thought. Chapters added and you can see them on YouTube when you scroll on the video. I can do them on all videos, just takes extra time and I'm not sure it is always worth the effort.

I put them into these chapters.

0:00 - 0:28 Intro
0:28 - 9:55 Why Hemi died
9:55 - 17:15 Hurricane Durability
17:15 - 22:20 Engine, Turbo Cooling
22:20 - 27:48 Thin oil is good?
27:48 - 32:11 Oil Life Monitor vs Dipstick
32:11 - 36:01 Start/Stop Harm to Starter/Engine
36:10 - 38:11 10k Mile Oil Change Interval
38:11 - 38:57 Conclusion

Wow, Out of the Park on it. Glad you asked about Thermal Management, AKA, cooling, which was my first big question. Great detail on the low temperature circuit and the problem of turbo coking after long trips and drivers not letting the engine run after a long trip to allow oil exchange. Towing comments regarding spark retardation and the critique on the SAE standard being narrow focused were refreshing to hear.

I had a call at the beginning of the video I had to take, so I may have missed any question/answer on the GDI aspect. He did mention in the High Pressure direct injection in a couple of topics, but nothing on why, like GM, they go with GDI only and not port/direct combo like Ford and Toyota in the engine.

Here is EE on the plasma spray in the bores as opposed to iron liners he mentioned. I'm old enough to remember adults complaining about "tin can" Vega engines and was an adult myself when the '90s Porsche/BMW Nikasil and high sulfur fuels debacle happened, so still glad my LC9 has iron cylinder liners (still a bit of a sceptic):

Great job Tim.
On direct injection, I did a video on this a year ago. I had a longer interview video that nobody really watched sadly.

This video has chapters as well.

I can tell you this Chevy engine engineer I spoke with was SO EXCITED I asked this question. He told me after the interview, he gets pretty upset at all the internet comments he reads on carbon buildup. I basically asked the question and then stepped away from the camera. He took it from there. It starts at the 3:28 mark.

This was a really good video and very solid interview. This specific engineer connected significantly better with the average user than some of the other engineers I've seen.

His comments on oil were what I expected and what I've heard consistently from engineers and any mechanics I've talked to. I guess I'll throw it out harshly but the BS about using different oil types or different oil change intervals to hold off some potential issue just doesn't make sense, and I do think it should go away.

The most interesting part for me was the question about the starter and auto start stop that was the first time I at least had heard it explained that the engine knows which cylinder is next in the fire rate and the auto start stop engages that cylinder specifically... That was really cool and does absolutely explain how it can be so quick and flawless. I was one of those guys when I got my truck that thought for sure I would turn it off and even spent times looking for mods to deactivate it but now that I've had my truck 3 years I don't notice it and I'm actually glad for it.

The most interesting part for me was the question about the starter and auto start stop that was the first time I at least had heard it explained that the engine knows which cylinder is next in the fire rate and the auto start stop engages that cylinder specifically... That was really cool and does absolutely explain how it can be so quick and flawless. I was one of those guys when I got my truck that thought for sure I would turn it off and even spent times looking for mods to deactivate it but now that I've had my truck 3 years I don't notice it and I'm actually glad for it.
I was really impressed by his answer and I'm hoping I can now put this question to bed.

Also, whenever somebody says something about start/stop systems and starter going bad, I'm just going to share this link and say, "here you go."

On direct injection, I did a video on this a year ago. I had a longer interview video that nobody really watched sadly.

This video has chapters as well.

I can tell you this Chevy engine engineer I spoke with was SO EXCITED I asked this question. He told me after the interview, he gets pretty upset at all the internet comments he reads on carbon buildup. I basically asked the question and then stepped away from the camera. He took it from there. It starts at the 3:28 mark.

Tim,

Yeah remember that video and his discussion and linked back to it on you tube where top commenters had the same concern as I do and which wasn't addressed:

"I think the biggest problem is still not addressed, that is carbon buildup in the intake valves. It’s my understanding that carbon/ dried sludge builds up on the intake valves from the PCV introducing oil vapor into the intake valves building up crud, because in the normal course of port injection the deposits would be washed away from building up on the valves otherwise. Direct injection eliminates this of course. That is why they have added this 2 way punch of port and direct injection. It’s still not clear how GM is addressing this issue beyond using both as Ford and others have done."

"It's the crank case blow by that gets returned to the intake through the pcv that creates intake valve coking. Valve coking is worse on turbo charged engines, which is the point for ecoboost having port and direct injection. The port injection helps to clean the back of the intake valves."

From 37:10 to 37:20 Alan talks about how the bad gases are ventilated from the crankcase and go back through the combustion process. But as the earlier comments to the GM video detail, the PCV system sends the gas with the dirty oil back through the intake manifold...Where detergent gasoline doesn't spray anymore because of the 2000psi fuel atomization occurring in the cylinder. But here is the end result for the consumer:

Timestamp Chapter 4, 3:47 for the valves.

Believe this is something GM and RAM will accept and and tell customers to walnut shell (or trade it in!) while Ford has partially addressed it, but not as clean as full-time port injection.

Moot point in the end, just have to keep my L36, LMG, LC9, and SI6 motors.

Last edited:
All in all Tim, that was a decent interview; I liked how you let him talk, no interruptions, you didn't "preach to him" and ask him to confirm etc etc. That style drives me nuts.

However, few things stood out to me, especially regarding oil. Note how they select 0w-20 and 0w-40 respectively for the 2 engines, despite the ad pack being the same? That's because the first line of defence against wear is the viscosity (oil film thickness itself). The ad pack comes into play once parts are touching, but the oil film is supposed to prevent that in the first place. The increased pressures make that more of a problem in the HO, but its the same reason many of us hemi guys prefer 0w-30 in our trucks. Relying on the ad pack is not ideal. This isn't as big of a problem for guys who city drive, but for those who tow and heat the oil up excessively it's an important detail.

Regarding oil change interval, I found the explanation of the PCV system interesting. However oil still carries soot/debris and the filter only does so much. Dirty oil still wears on the components like a very fine sandpaper and nothing solves that problem other than a flush. If/when the oil filter goes into bypass you're then circulating very dirty oil through the engine for a brief period of time. How much does it matter? I dunno, but I will continue with my 7500 miles max per OCI as it's cheap insurance.

He mentioned the duty cycle of the engines and how most people barely exceed 30 minutes of max power. The 6.4 hemi in the 2500 is rated to deliver full power under full load on 87 octane for 12 minutes. It's too bad there were no questions directly relating to the stress and intended work load for these engines vs the cast iron hemis. Also remember the 5.7 hemi was used as the base engine in the 2500 for a decade+. We KNOW it can handle the abuse, at this point the hurricane has to prove itself and I think the fact that they're not using it in the 2500 speaks loud enough (I mean why not put 520 hp in a 2500, right?), though perhaps they'll dump it in the 2500 later this year during that refresh.

The other problem with the hurricane is that its a modern, sophisticated, and very intricate design. This makes it more expensive/costly to repair, and also makes it less and less likely that backyard mechanics like me can service my truck. The hemi (and the chevy small block v8's etc) are all very simple, easy to understand, easy to self service, and this is where much of the blowback (heh) on turbos and modern engines is also coming from.

In the end it was a nice watch but I doubt he is changing many minds at this point.

Back