2025 Ram 1500 coverage

First thing I noticed were those Dumbo ears. No thank you. I used clip on tow mirrors when I towed my 8.5' trailer But it was nice pulling them off for the other 90% of the driving.

I do like the grill look on that white one. Not bad.
Same, I use clip on mirrors for my 2019 Silverado. Towing mirrors didn't become an option till mid 2020.

The half tons keep getting bigger and stronger as well, the new charger has 8 lug wheels (for example) and is still considered a "half ton". The 4th gen ram was about 300 to 400 pounds on average less than the 5th gen. They all continue to boost the GVWR, even the 3/4 tons are well into "1 ton" territory from a few years back, GM offers the ability to downgrade the sticker to 10k pounds but nothing changes mechanically.
The Ramcharger really stretches the definition of a "half ton" not only 8 lug wheels but the GVWR has to be around 9000+ given the big battery.

When it comes to full size pickups though, Tim is like the Great 8 on the top of the left face off circle, hammering one timers for goals with incredible consistency.
Sorry, I missed this awesome comment the other day.

BTW, I sucked at hockey when I was a kid. LOL

This is what I have right now but depending on your feedback and further thoughts over the weekend I could/might change it?
Interested in your comments, I tried to stay neutral even though I do have my own opinion, and tried to present all the theories and myth as fairly and respectfully as possible. There is more that could be said but honestly I doubt this will even make it to his desk if you have to go through PR first and I also suspect he is not at liberty to discuss any/most of this either. But worth a shot! Been wanting to ask these questions for a lonnngggg while now.
Ok, I emailed this in and I called my contact at Ram PR. My gut tells me they are going to pass on answering most of these questions. From their POV, the Hemi is done and they are moving on to the Hurricane. Also, they never admit or talk about a known issue due to lawsuits and what not. I was hoping since the Hemi was discontinued it would change that narrative. I'm still hoping for an answer or two, but I'm not optimistic.

With that said, I did pitch the idea of doing a video interview on the new Hurricane engine with Alan. They are looking at calendars trying to set that up and I sent in a variety of questions. One of them deals with oil viscosity and relates directly to your question on why the changing oil types over the years. I also plan on asking about durability issues and I'll see if I can ask about the Hemi tick indirectly.

My sense is the Hemi tick was a supplier issue with a bad batch of parts. With an engine being in service that long, it would be expected to have a bad batch of parts somewhere in the lifecycle. IMO the odds are against it being perfect all the time when you build that many. Just a game of statistics.

Ok, I emailed this in and I called my contact at Ram PR. My gut tells me they are going to pass on answering most of these questions. From their POV, the Hemi is done and they are moving on to the Hurricane. Also, they never admit or talk about a known issue due to lawsuits and what not. I was hoping since the Hemi was discontinued it would change that narrative. I'm still hoping for an answer or two, but I'm not optimistic.

With that said, I did pitch the idea of doing a video interview on the new Hurricane engine with Alan. They are looking at calendars trying to set that up and I sent in a variety of questions. One of them deals with oil viscosity and relates directly to your question on why the changing oil types over the years. I also plan on asking about durability issues and I'll see if I can ask about the Hemi tick indirectly.

My sense is the Hemi tick was a supplier issue with a bad batch of parts. With an engine being in service that long, it would be expected to have a bad batch of parts somewhere in the lifecycle. IMO the odds are against it being perfect all the time when you build that many. Just a game of statistics.
Always look forward to the interviews with the lead engineers.

My only thought on that is from a manufacturing management point of view. It was pretty much non-existent before the 2009 model. Then was identified randomly from that point forward. As a manufacturing manager, I'd want my quality team to explain to me how this could happen. If it was a supplier issue, why did we not try other suppliers or switch back to the previous one? Supplier issues are much easier to identify.

It was either a problem that was happening in low enough numbers for them not to look at closely or it was a major design problem that could not be economically corrected. I'm thinking it was the latter because there are few people in the truck world who haven't heard about it. After 15 years of hearing about it and not seeing a definitive explanation or even acknowledgement it exists from Ram, we surely won't get any now that they are on to the Hurricane.

My only thought on that is from a manufacturing management point of view. It was pretty much non-existent before the 2009 model. Then was identified randomly from that point forward. As a manufacturing manager, I'd want my quality team to explain to me how this could happen. If it was a supplier issue, why did we not try other suppliers or switch back to the previous one? Supplier issues are much easier to identify.

It was either a problem that was happening in low enough numbers for them not to look at closely or it was a major design problem that could not be economically corrected. I'm thinking it was the latter because there are few people in the truck world who haven't heard about it. After 15 years of hearing about it and not seeing a definitive explanation or even acknowledgement it exists from Ram, we surely won't get any now that they are on to the Hurricane.
I still say supplier. Suppliers go in and out of business all the time. It could have been that Ram was forced to switch suppliers due to going out of business or expanding their order to the point the supplier couldn't keep up. Like you said, it was non-existent prior to the 2009 model. That means it wasn't a design flaw. And yeah, Ram's quality team was likely all over this one and they may or may not have found a permanent solution. We will never know those details IMO.

It wasn't non existent pre 2009, just less. That could be a simple correlation because the engine wasn't around in high enough volumes. 2009 was also bankruptcy period and we have no idea what that did to the vendor chain.

And there is no design flaw that explain why the needle bearings in 1 random lifter is shredded whereas the other 15 are in excellent condition (relative to age).

I find it fascinating why all these other theories refuse to accept the most simplest/obvious possibility (a flaw in the lifter itself). Why do so many want to pick the worse theories, the ones that can't explain why failures don't happen to the remaining lifters? What is it about the "flawed lifter" theory that is so hard to accept by so many? 🤷‍♂️

Lets keep in mind that there are probably several million hemis still on the road, maybe as high as 10+ million. It's been a massively produced engine and even a tiny flaw somewhere gets exploded into higher numbers on the forums just due to the total sales. Compare that to the 5.7 in the Tundra which saw like 100k per year and well it could have even more issues but no one would notice.

Why do so many want to pick the worse theories, the ones that can't explain why failures don't happen to the remaining lifters? What is it about the "flawed lifter" theory that is so hard to accept by so many? 🤷‍♂️
In my experience, people want to naturally overthink things and make every issue a massive deal affecting every single model out there. That thought is prevalent throughout all the YT and website comments.

In my experience, people want to naturally overthink things and make every issue a massive deal affecting every single model out there. That thought is prevalent throughout all the YT and website comments.
I think that only happens because a Manufacturer won't come out and say "This was a bad batch of lifters, sorry" Usually because the lifters come from a 3rd party source and that would be a PR and then legal nightmare.

Any lifter can fail and plenty before 09 did. But you cannot deny the greater occurrence and identification of it in the post-2009 redesign. I joined the forums when I bought my first one in 06. I didn't hear much about it until 2010. Bought my second in 2011. And yes, there is an enormous difference between the "tick" causes. Lifters just being one. That's my point of wondering what the actual rate of occurrence of lifter failure is. My belief is that they took notice, looked into it, saw low numbers, realized there wasn't much they could do, and let it go. A "bad" batch of parts is a QC issue, and that can be fixed. Design issues? Not cheaply, so they weigh it and just continue as is. That's manufacturing.

And I agree, I wouldn't bother asking the engineer about it because it doesn't really matter. If they did investigate and identify the root cause, he isn't going to say much about it while there is a lawsuit in play. I'd hit him with questions about the new engine and new tech on the '25s. Not silly crap like "why does the Tungsten only have a 1K payload?". More like; Is the oil quantity system that accurate and dependable?

Back