2025 Ram 1500 coverage

First, Tim, great job on all of the video. Even though I'm not interested in a Ram or a full-sized truck in general I thought they were good. I thought the payloads on the higher trim was interesting. Not really better than a midsized truck.

Also, I know that this will be super unpopular, but I'm happy that exhausts are starting to get quiet. I know that most stock vehicles are not really the problem here and when I was younger I loved a good exhaust, but now I just want some quietness. There have been several times when I've been camping and someone on a dirt bike or with a super loud truck exhaust rolls through and you can hear it for miles. I'm sure they thinks it's awesome and their right to have a loud exhaust, but what about my want/right for it to be quiet?

I think the piped in exhaust sound is actually a great idea, if people could tune the sound how they wanted it, heck I might even add something like that, but at least I wouldn't be bothering anyone else and forcing my need for loud on them. Again I know this won't be a popular opinion here, and that some exhausts are relatively quiet and sound good too, but many people take it too far.

Lastly, I was on a walk to day and saw a Dakota. Many I used to love that truck. I was thinking how much a third gen taco kind of looks like the Dakota did. Anyway, great job on the coverage and don't be too hard on my want for piece and quiet! :ROFLMAO:

Payloads can be similar in midsized truck, but their GVWR is still lower. This means that putting 1500 pounds in a half ton will carry it better vs the same weight in a midsize, all the components of the half ton are heavier duty as well; bigger/stronger frame, heavier duty axles, stronger diffs, and so on. So while payload is an important number, it doesn't tell the whole story and that can be a misleading stat.

For exhaust sound, my only request there would be that it be all user defeatable as I am not a fan of fake anything. IMHO an engine should sound like its strengths would suggest it to; so for a big burly v8, it should sound big and burly, for a smooth i6 with no real character it should sound quiet and refined and "stay out of the way". I love the sound of a v8; hemi, coyote, LS, the one in the Tundra, they all sound amazing to me even with stock exhaust. But when I'm driving a minivan motor that is just putting out noise without character then I prefer to have it as quiet and refined as possible. That's the strength of the i6, smooth, refined, and it can't sound good so it should be silent (like whiny kids lol).

Payloads can be similar in midsized truck, but their GVWR is still lower. This means that putting 1500 pounds in a half ton will carry it better vs the same weight in a midsize, all the components of the half ton are heavier duty as well; bigger/stronger frame, heavier duty axles, stronger diffs, and so on. So while payload is an important number, it doesn't tell the whole story and that can be a misleading stat.
The amazing part is how close they GVWR numbers are now. The line gets blurrier with every new model introduced. Probably within 1000#s on average.

The amazing part is how close they GVWR numbers are now. The line gets blurrier with every new model introduced. Probably within 1000#s on average.

Using 6000 pounds for the tacoma and 7100 in my truck, 1100 pounds difference with a 7100 pound denominator is still very significant. That's not even getting into the other differences like wider wheel base, longer wheelbase etc. All these play a very big role on how extra weight is handled.

When you do the Rebel video, run a 25 vs 24 through the configurator. carhaulereastcoast found the 2025 cheaper than the 24. I see the same thing but we gotta be wrong somewhere.

I posted this in another thread, I didn't check the 24 with similar packages but I can't imagine a moderate equipped Rebel in 24 is more than 75k? I could be way off... I know in 2021/22 a similarly equipped Rebel was a bit cheaper than my AT4. 60-62 vs 64-66.

1708705656444.png

Using 6000 pounds for the tacoma and 7100 in my truck, 1100 pounds difference with a 7100 pound denominator is still very significant. That's not even getting into the other differences like wider wheel base, longer wheelbase etc. All these play a very big role on how extra weight is handled.
That's the point, it's getting closer with every new model. The new Taco is up to 6250. The GM twins are higher or close. The Raptor Ranger has 6790 and a base Silverado as low as 6700. Not that the Raptor can haul anything, it has the lowest payload of any. And those are extremes but like I said, getting close. And dimensions are getting damn close. I think a Taco crew/long bed is just 3" shorter than my Quad-Cab.

That's the point, it's getting closer with every new model. The new Taco is up to 6250. The GM twins are higher or close. The Raptor Ranger has 6790 and a base Silverado as low as 6700. Not that the Raptor can haul anything, it has the lowest payload of any. And those are extremes but like I said, getting close. And dimensions are getting damn close. I think a Taco crew/long bed is just 3" shorter than my Quad-Cab.

The half tons keep getting bigger and stronger as well, the new charger has 8 lug wheels (for example) and is still considered a "half ton". The 4th gen ram was about 300 to 400 pounds on average less than the 5th gen. They all continue to boost the GVWR, even the 3/4 tons are well into "1 ton" territory from a few years back, GM offers the ability to downgrade the sticker to 10k pounds but nothing changes mechanically.

The half tons keep getting bigger and stronger as well, the new charger has 8 lug wheels (for example) and is still considered a "half ton". The 4th gen ram was about 300 to 400 pounds on average less than the 5th gen. They all continue to boost the GVWR, even the 3/4 tons are well into "1 ton" territory from a few years back, GM offers the ability to downgrade the sticker to 10k pounds but nothing changes mechanically.
Oh yeah, those EVs are crazy. Wonder what the GVWR is for the Lightning actually? My 2011 Ram has a GVWR of 6700 and towing of 7700. Not much change in GVWR but towing for the same truck today is like 12000? Crazy what they allow.

lol....better be careful! With a title like that, Stellantis won't even loan you a Hornet to do a test drive!
Speaking of... I have a Hornet coming in a few weeks. LOL

Nah, I'm not somebody who hides in fear from an automotive brand. I think that's all BS. If I'm not being critical or asking hard questions, then what's the point of my job anyway? I've had some PR people actually tell me they love my stuff because it is actionable items or topics they can address. Nobody loves a kiss ass.

Speaking of... I have a Hornet coming in a few weeks. LOL

Nah, I'm not somebody who hides in fear from an automotive brand. I think that's all BS. If I'm not being critical or asking hard questions, then what's the point of my job anyway? I've had some PR people actually tell me they love my stuff because it is actionable items or topics they can address. Nobody loves a kiss ass.
Good on ya' That's the way to be. Not that'll I be tuning in to watch the horror show of the Hornet.

Damn good video. I think you addressed it all well. I do remember that one comment saying you should have saved money by getting a leftover 23 or a 24. I started laughing, they really don't get how you do this as a business. You are not buying for your needs.

And I see your point, for your business, that it does make sense to buy the mid-model and get the newest features loaded on it. That way, somebody in the market wanting to know what the Rambox is like will tune in. Or the I6 vice the V6. It's why I shrugged my shoulders with TFL and their Taco, it's stripped! It has none of the interesting new features. And you save money by not getting the pano roof because everyone already knows about that one. Good strategy, it's almost like you know what you're doing....lol

And another and some responses for @carhaulereastcoast

thank you sir you have answered a lot of questions i did have. i have to agree with you on the ram dealership and the ram corp. it makes since and confirms a lot on my end. im very happy that you do buy the lastest and best truck you can its very smart business. im still 4 months out to buy just cause of the surgery im going to have and the need to get back to work. but ill say this with your information ill be in a better poss. to buy and get what i really want. thanks again for the video and for the record i have you at number 2 behind TFL.

thank you sir you have answered a lot of questions i did have. i have to agree with you on the ram dealership and the ram corp. it makes since and confirms a lot on my end. im very happy that you do buy the lastest and best truck you can its very smart business. im still 4 months out to buy just cause of the surgery im going to have and the need to get back to work. but ill say this with your information ill be in a better poss. to buy and get what i really want. thanks again for the video and for the record i have you at number 2 behind TFL.
Wouldn't be awesome if dealerships were factory stores? Like Tesla. The factory would understand so much more what it takes to sell things and the shady crap would go away.

Back