The truth about 2024 Tacoma transmissions failing

I hope so too! I was talking with a family friend last night and he was saying someone he talked with had already had 3 transmissions in his new Tacoma and while that's possible I suppose I have not seen anything like that thus far and that's how I replied. I do hope that Toyota and their suppliers have figured out how to manufacture their vehicles without getting debris in them now though! It is unfortunate as these types of things, as @testerdahl has said before lead to people talking about how turbo engines are crap, but it has nothing to do with that. That same family friend was like well the turbo.... and I was like it's the transmission we are talking about here not the engine and maybe they just have too much torque, but that's a different issue. So it's just unfortunate, because in terms of driving, Toyota really did a great job addressing the issues from the 3rd gen.
Those people can be annoying.

So now you're driving your Tacoma like I drive my Sierra, you're waiting for the tranny to go and I'm waiting for the lifters to stop lifting. Luckily I did buy a good extended warranty for 125k miles or something around there. That was mainly for electronics but it covers everything and AAA will take care of me from the roadside perspective.

Those people can be annoying.

So now you're driving your Tacoma like I drive my Sierra, you're waiting for the tranny to go and I'm waiting for the lifters to stop lifting. Luckily I did buy a good extended warranty for 125k miles or something around there. That was mainly for electronics but it covers everything and AAA will take care of me from the roadside perspective.
Super smart idea. In the future, I’m not afraid of engine repair costs, it’s the electronics and screens that concern me.

One of the original '24 MT Tacoma owners with transmission issues just lemon lawed his truck after waiting more than 4+ months for a fix that never came from Toyota. He went to the Ranger Raptor. I hope they can deal with the automatic issues quicker.

One of the original '24 MT Tacoma owners with transmission issues just lemon lawed his truck after waiting more than 4+ months for a fix that never came from Toyota. He went to the Ranger Raptor. I hope they can deal with the automatic issues quicker.

I wonder about the "no assurance from Toyota corporate." Not that I think this is a lie, I just wonder about expectations.

For example, can Toyota corporate really assure anything? Wouldn't that hold them liable in court? Wouldn't that setup an expectation that if they didn't meet would look worse than what it is? Did Ford give him an assurance?

Just things bouncing around in my head.

I wonder about the "no assurance from Toyota corporate." Not that I think this is a lie, I just wonder about expectations.

For example, can Toyota corporate really assure anything? Wouldn't that hold them liable in court? Wouldn't that setup an expectation that if they didn't meet would look worse than what it is? Did Ford give him an assurance?

Just things bouncing around in my head.
I think that's just frustrated/disappointed owner talk. I would have to read back through his original thread but I believe he couldn't get the manual transmission replaced after 4 months. He was one of the first to see a transmission issue back when it was thought to just be the manual having issues. Toyota doesn't allow custom orders so after waiting so long and not getting an answer he had mostly given up and was going to purchase an automatic. Then, when the automatic transmission started having issues and the TSB was issued he once again found himself possibly in a bind and couldn't get anything from Toyota corporate about which way to turn. Got frustrated and left to Ford.

Your not wrong, I don't think any other manufacturer really would have handled this specific situation differently... with the exception of issuing a recall and not relying on a TSB. That just leaves everyone hanging in the wind with no answers. That's a pretty quick way to lose trust.

Last edited:
Now that is an inside baseball comment. Really shows you have been paying attention.
My opinion is Toyotas USA problems started with the first generation Tacoma, Toyota USA probably insisted they get a special USA only truck instead of the Hilux based Toyota (far superior to the Tacoma) Toyota Japan should have told Toyota USA to pound sand you get what everyone else gets just like the previous generations of trucks.

My opinion is Toyotas USA problems started with the first generation Tacoma, Toyota USA probably insisted they get a special USA only truck instead of the Hilux based Toyota (far superior to the Tacoma) Toyota Japan should have told Toyota USA to pound sand you get what everyone else gets just like the previous generations of trucks.
I don't think a Hilux would sale that well here. There's a reason why trucks keep getting more and more upscale with softer suspension.

I don't think a Hilux would sale that well here. There's a reason why trucks keep getting more and more upscale with softer suspension.
I think Toyota would have sold just as many Hilux based trucks as Tacoma trucks. One thing is certain Toyota would not have had to replace tens of thousands of Hilux frames because of rust.

I think Toyota would have sold just as many Hilux based trucks as Tacoma trucks. One thing is certain Toyota would not have had to replace tens of thousands of Hilux frames because of rust.
Was the frame rust a supplier issue from Dana? Wouldn't the Hilux then used the same supplier?

I think a lot of the USA spec models are necessary to comply with US Govt safety requirements, bumper heights, etc, that makes the “world” vehicle unimportable to the USA. On top of that, the US incentivizes manufacturers who build vehicles using US labor on US soil. I don’t think they ever considered modifying the Hilux to be importable.

I think a lot of the USA spec models are necessary to comply with US Govt safety requirements, bumper heights, etc, that makes the “world” vehicle unimportable to the USA. On top of that, the US incentivizes manufacturers who build vehicles using US labor on US soil. I don’t think they ever considered modifying the Hilux to be importable.
You are speaking about the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Specifications (FMVSS) and the so-called Chicken Tax, a 25% tarriff, on truck imports.

You are speaking about the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Specifications (FMVSS) and the so-called Chicken Tax, a 25% tarriff, on truck imports.

That's why the 4Runner and Land Cruiser can be built in Japan and imported to the US. The Chicken Tax only applies to light pickups with an open bed. Subaru put backseats and seat belts in the Brat to get around the tax. I know you know this, but others may not.

Back