The truth about 2024 Tacoma transmissions failing

So I guess circling back to the title of this thread "the truth" is there is a problem, Toyota possibly has found/verified the issue and has issued a TSB. Hopefully it's not very widespread and people won't be affected. Good luck Ben, I advise printing the TSB and presenting it to the dealer when you go in. That seemed to help quite a bit with Toyota TSB's in the past. That was12 years ago, hopefully they've changed how they handle it since then.

This is a good reminder for all manufacturers that although there are lots of issues with various trucks reported they seem to start at the forum level well before NHTSA or a manufacturer is brought into the loop. With any issue I've had with a vehicle I've never even thought about reporting it to the NHTSA. I assume that mentality is somewhat "normal" for people.
I was just thinking about the title of this thread as well. For a moment, I thought I'd have to eat crow, but I think I stand by my statement that this isn't a major issue for all Tacoma's built. Rather, it is a crap deal for those who are affected and it will be remedied quickly.

I was just thinking about the title of this thread as well. For a moment, I thought I'd have to eat crow, but I think I stand by my statement that this isn't a major issue for all Tacoma's built. Rather, it is a crap deal for those who are affected and it will be remedied quickly.
I don't think any crow is needed but I also don't think we're at the point in declaring this a none issue. It's clearly more widespread than initially thought and Toyota's history of handling TSB is shaky. It's put the option of diagnosing and performing the work on the dealer instead of a recall which is a requirement.

The 2nd gen Tacoma in the US shipped with a 3 leaf pack in the rear, whereas all of the Canadian 2nd gens Tacomas shipped with a 4 leaf pack. They were also different leaf packs. This didn't work for most people, created a safety issue with carrying even a couple hundred pounds and Toyota responded with a TSB to upgrade the leafs. In multiple cases the leafs were cracking and damaged other underbody components like the fuel tank. This TSB had many, many variations and evolutions but went from 2005-2016, affected thousands of owners and was a shit show getting the service completed at a dealership. Many refused to inspect the vehicles or perform the work. I got lucky with my second dealer.

At one point TacomaWorld had a spreadsheet going tracking dealers that were performing the TSB repairs and dealers that weren't.

Probably not updated anymore, looks like last update was 2014, but notice how they're asking for success getting any of the TSB's completed. Toyota has a history of relying on TSB's instead of recalls. All this does is pass the headache off to the owner and dealer.

I don't think any crow is needed but I also don't think we're at the point in declaring this a none issue. It's clearly more widespread than initially thought and Toyota's history of handling TSB is shaky. It's put the option of diagnosing and performing the work on the dealer instead of a recall which is a requirement.

The 2nd gen Tacoma in the US shipped with a 3 leaf pack in the rear, whereas all of the Canadian 2nd gens Tacomas shipped with a 4 leaf pack. They were also different leaf packs. This didn't work for most people, created a safety issue with carrying even a couple hundred pounds and Toyota responded with a TSB to upgrade the leafs. In multiple cases the leafs were cracking and damaged other underbody components like the fuel tank. This TSB had many, many variations and evolutions but went from 2005-2016, affected thousands of owners and was a shit show getting the service completed at a dealership. Many refused to inspect the vehicles or perform the work. I got lucky with my second dealer.

At one point TacomaWorld had a spreadsheet going tracking dealers that were performing the TSB repairs and dealers that weren't.

Probably not updated anymore, looks like last update was 2014, but notice how they're asking for success getting any of the TSB's completed. Toyota has a history of relying on TSB's instead of recalls. All this does is pass the headache off to the owner and dealer.
Interesting view on TSBs. I didn't realize there was that concern about them.

When I reported that my truck was part of a TSB the service center in Wausau said well we would only do something if there was an issue reported so we'll see. Hopefully my dealer in Colorado would treat it better, but I won't know that for a while.

When I reported that my truck was part of a TSB the service center in Wausau said well we would only do something if there was an issue reported so we'll see. Hopefully my dealer in Colorado would treat it better, but I won't know that for a while.
That's the problem with TSB's, you have to prove your having the issue or the delaer won't do anything. It's a cop out on Toyota and the dealer. Frustrating for owners.

@testerdahl

You often ask where the mistruct comes from. This is a prime example.

Owner begin reporting transmission issues in manual Tacomas. Some media runs with "Toyota has massive transmission issues." Others downplay and at times mock the owners as a one off issue. Later, automatic transmissions start having issues and are being report on forums pretty consistently. Again, media runs with it good and bad. Journalists and YT channels polarize themselves with the coverage. Some down play and others again blow it out of proportion. The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle.

Here, Toyota admits there is a problem, doesn't issue a recall and insteads goes with a TSB. Ben is out of state, contacts a local Toyota dealer who tells him he has to prove he's having an issue or they won't do anything? How is that right? Is that a bad dealer, or is Toyota using the TSB scapegoat? Sure, if your transmission blows up it will be replaced under warranty. How long will that take? Toyota does this with TSB's constantly.

It seems pretty obvious to me why owners develop trust issues with manufacturers. Often times when the issue is found they drop the "3rd party supplier line" and wash their hands of it. If I spent 50k on a truck I don't care whose made the mistake, I just want it fixed quickly and efficiently. They can play the blame game behind scenes.

Do you have any of the error messages as reported on the TSB?

Do you have any of the error messages as reported on the TSB?
I'm guessing those wouldn't display to the driver most likely, they'll need to run a diagnostic. I don't have the equipment to check the codes myself. I think to @Fightnfire 's comment above, this is my only vehicle and I'll have an 1100 mile journey back to Colorado. Plus since I'm often overlanding it some happens out there then what? Will Toyota or the dealership in Wausau pay for the super expensive trail recover too? If the problem is big enough it can cause the truck to fail, I'd much rather know they replaced the parts with parts they know are not defective than hope mine isn't.

On the flip side, doesn't Toyota pay for the parts and labor anyway? If so, why wouldn't any dealer not want to take that on?

I'm guessing those wouldn't display to the driver most likely, they'll need to run a diagnostic. I don't have the equipment to check the codes myself. I think to @Fightnfire 's comment above, this is my only vehicle and I'll have an 1100 mile journey back to Colorado. Plus since I'm often overlanding it some happens out there then what? Will Toyota or the dealership in Wausau pay for the super expensive trail recover too? If the problem is big enough it can cause the truck to fail, I'd much rather know they replaced the parts with parts they know are not defective than hope mine isn't.

On the flip side, doesn't Toyota pay for the parts and labor anyway? If so, why wouldn't any dealer not want to take that on?
That's something we've never been able to really figure out. It's clear there's hesitation to perform the work, I don't know what happens on the back end to cause the dealers to deny the service.

That's something we've never been able to really figure out. It's clear there's hesitation to perform the work, I don't know what happens on the back end to cause the dealers to deny the service.

Because warranty and TSB work does not pay the same as regular service/maintenance paid by the customer. If replacing the transmission takes 8 hours, often Toyota, Ford etc. only pay for 6 of those hours and the parts. The dealer is now losing two billing hours per transmission warranty work they do. VS if I come in at 200 000mi and need a transmission, I pay full price on the parts and labor.

It's supper scummy but has been the norm for ever.

Because warranty and TSB work does not pay the same as regular service/maintenance paid by the customer. If replacing the transmission takes 8 hours, often Toyota, Ford etc. only pay for 6 of those hours and the parts. The dealer is now losing two billing hours per transmission warranty work they do. VS if I come in at 200 000mi and need a transmission, I pay full price on the parts and labor.

Those thoughts are similar to what I've also always heard.

I was thinking the same thing.

I was thinking the same thing.
In reading further they also don't get paid any diagnostic fees which is where they make a huge percentage of their profit. Because the TSB has made the diagnosis for them they only get to do exactly what the TSB says and then get short paid on it.

If the problem is big enough it can cause the truck to fail, I'd much rather know they replaced the parts with parts they know are not defective than hope mine isn't.
That is the difference between a recall and a TSB. A recall, you get a new transmission. A TSB you might get a new transmission,

It does make you know question your truck and to @Fightnfire point, that causes a lack of trust.

I think in this case, Toyota would have been better off just doing a full recall instead of leaving customers wondering about their transmission.

Hopefully it stays that way.
I hope so too! I was talking with a family friend last night and he was saying someone he talked with had already had 3 transmissions in his new Tacoma and while that's possible I suppose I have not seen anything like that thus far and that's how I replied. I do hope that Toyota and their suppliers have figured out how to manufacture their vehicles without getting debris in them now though! It is unfortunate as these types of things, as @testerdahl has said before lead to people talking about how turbo engines are crap, but it has nothing to do with that. That same family friend was like well the turbo.... and I was like it's the transmission we are talking about here not the engine and maybe they just have too much torque, but that's a different issue. So it's just unfortunate, because in terms of driving, Toyota really did a great job addressing the issues from the 3rd gen.

Back