drove the 2024 IForceMax and didn't like it

carhaulereastcoast

I have a 2015 xp tundra and i love it. i don't like the new truck and drove one the other day and it had the same ride as my 2015. No way im going to spend 75K on a truck that rides like my 30K truck. So i was sold on the GMC AT4 with the diesel, till i looked into Ram. so now i'm thinking the Ram Rebel. I was very disappointed in the tundra. so should i or would someone tell me what they think about the Ram Rebel over the AT4

I get where your at, these are money decisions, Ive decided to go GMC with the LZ0 Duramax, I like Rams also but they seem to have slid on quality on current gen, every OEM goes through these cycles, my decision was based on I plan on doing some North American travel, I live in the country so the engine can reach its proper operating temp and I can do much of my own maintenance, but not major, there are a few things I don't like about the GM such as the oil belt in the back of the engine, but its not a deal breaker, there has been a few electrical problems, but many problems have been ironed out, I don't have a problem with a slightly higher maintenance costs such as fuel filter more expensive oil, additives and keeping the oil and fuel system clean, as for Ram Im assuming you want the 5.7, the 5.7 has been a powerful reliable engine, I have an 07 which was the first year of sequential injection and I believe MDS, the whole powertrain has been flawless, it been maintained and worn out parts replaced, Ive never been left stranded and truck has never seen a tow hook, the newer 5.7's are getting many reports of exhaust manifold bolts breaking, lifter tick, cam problems and a slew of electrical problems, Ive been is a Ram Limited with e-torque, the start stop worked flawlessly, and I hate start stop systems, the large infotainment system worked kind of funky, the e-torque parts replacement costs are going to be way north if you keep the truck for years after warranty, mind you diesel parts are going to be expensive also.

Last edited:
I get where your at, these are money decisions, Ive decided to go GMC with the LZ0 Duramax, I like Rams also but they seem to have slid on quality on current gen, every OEM goes through these cycles, my decision was based on I plan on doing some North American travel, I live in the country so the engine can reach its proper operating temp and I can do much of my own maintenance, but not major, there are a few things I don't like about the GM such as the oil belt in the back of the engine, but its not a deal breaker, there has been a few electrical problems, but many problems have been ironed out, I don't have a problem with a slightly higher maintenance costs such as fuel filter more expensive oil, additives and keeping the oil and fuel system clean, as for Ram Im assuming you want the 5.7, the 5.7 has been a powerful reliable engine, I have an 07 which was the first year of direct injection and I believe MDS, the whole powertrain has been flawless, it been maintained and worn out parts replaced, Ive never been left stranded and truck has never seen a tow hook, the newer 5.7's are getting many reports of exhaust manifold bolts breaking, lifter tick, cam problems and a slew of electrical problems, Ive been is a Ram Limited with e-torque, the start stop worked flawlessly, and I hate start stop systems, the large infotainment system worked kind of funky, the e-torque parts replacement costs are going to be way north if you keep the truck for years after warranty, mind you diesel parts are going to be expensive also.
5.7 Hemi has never had DI and never will. As far as I can tell, the DI setup would be costly to incorporate in the "semi-hemi" combustion chamber the Gen III has compared to a wedge chamber. It is one of the reasons the RAM/Gladiator were on my short list for trucks to buy last year. Google "DI Valve Carbon" and you will be amazed at how many DI engines are the mechanical equivalent of Tony Montana, coked out of all recognition!

https://www.landmforeigncars.com/blog/the-problem-with-direct-injection---coked-up-valves

Last edited:
5.7 Hemi has never had DI and never will. As far as I can tell, the DI setup would be costly to incorporate in the "semi-hemi" combustion chamber the Gen III has compared to a wedge chamber. It is one of the reasons the RAM/Gladiator were on my short list for trucks to buy last year. Google "DI Valve Carbon" and you will be amazed at how many DI engines are the mechanical equivalent of Tony Montana, coked out all recognition!

https://www.landmforeigncars.com/blog/the-problem-with-direct-injection---coked-up-valves

My mistake I should have said sequential, its just one of these things I haven't had any problems with, for some reason I had DI stuck in my head after researching other engines, and yes they are a carbon magnet.

I have a 2015 xp tundra and i love it. i don't like the new truck and drove one the other day and it had the same ride as my 2015. No way im going to spend 75K on a truck that rides like my 30K truck. So i was sold on the GMC AT4 with the diesel, till i looked into Ram. so now i'm thinking the Ram Rebel. I was very disappointed in the tundra. so should i or would someone tell me what they think about the Ram Rebel over the AT4

The AT4 with the diesel is my top preference in the 1500 segment ever since it came out. I own a 2019 ram 1500 with the 5.7 and its been a great truck, it cost probably $15,000 to $20,000 less than an AT4 with the diesel but that was 4.5 years ago and prices may have changed. I have no regrets and love my truck, I would make the same decision over again even after all this time.

If you're worried about quality; spend any time on any brands truck forum and you will see the complaints stack up. Buy what you want to drive, when things go wrong you'll be more inclined to forgive a truck that you love vs a truck that you bought simply because you were mislead into thinking it was more reliable than the others.

The AT4 with the diesel is my top preference in the 1500 segment ever since it came out. I own a 2019 ram 1500 with the 5.7 and its been a great truck, it cost probably $15,000 to $20,000 less than an AT4 with the diesel but that was 4.5 years ago and prices may have changed. I have no regrets and love my truck, I would make the same decision over again even after all this time.

If you're worried about quality; spend any time on any brands truck forum and you will see the complaints stack up. Buy what you want to drive, when things go wrong you'll be more inclined to forgive a truck that you love vs a truck that you bought simply because you were mislead into thinking it was more reliable than the others.

I purchased my AT4 in 2021 and my second choice was a Rebel. The major difference I saw was the AT4 standard equipment was pretty superior across the board. To get what I wanted the Rebel was about the same money and still didn't offer some of what I wanted. I don't remember exactly what as it was almost 3 years ago. I also rememer feeling like the AT4 did better truck things, hauling/towing etc. One plus was the e-locker on the Rebel vs. the G80 on the AT4. I leaned e-locker but since have become a big fan of the G80. After watching other trucks I owned and buddies trucks sit and wait around for the engaged light the G80 just works and I've gotten good at knowing how to engage it and keep it engaged when needed.

thanks guys for the feedback. its so tempting to get the 5.7 ram due to almost 16K off. i mean the limited are going for almost 60K now witch is almost 10K less then the AT4 i love the AT4 and want the thunderstorm color with the diesel. but almost cant pass on a 80K truck for 60K i was worried about the ram with the lifters and how easy they are to steal. still doing some homework and about 2 months out before i buy. also with the 25 new ram coming out the prices are going to drop even more. thanks again ill keep posting

thanks guys for the feedback. its so tempting to get the 5.7 ram due to almost 16K off. i mean the limited are going for almost 60K now witch is almost 10K less then the AT4 i love the AT4 and want the thunderstorm color with the diesel. but almost cant pass on a 80K truck for 60K i was worried about the ram with the lifters and how easy they are to steal. still doing some homework and about 2 months out before i buy. also with the 25 new ram coming out the prices are going to drop even more. thanks again ill keep posting

The 5.7 lifter issue is blown way out of proportion. It also seems to affect the 2009 to 2016 years more heavily. Run a high quality 5w-30 oil and change it every 5000 miles and it will give you 300k+ miles easily.

For $10k difference, you can put two additional used hemis in your truck or fix lifter issues twice, and that's not including the probable cost of the emissions issues or injectors that plague all modern diesels, nor the belt you need to replace at 200k miles on the diesel which includes pulling your transmission off.

I love the 3.0, so don't take this as being anti GM because I am most definitely not brand loyal to anyone. Just suggesting everything has a cost and it helps to put it all in perspective.

I went through a similar thought process back in 2019 before the 3.0 was available, I did want it pretty badly but I knew it would cost extra and they'd only offer it on upper trims making it even more out of reach. In the end I bought my hemi and have absolutely 0 regrets. Going on 60k 100% trouble free miles to date.

whats so crazy to me is this all started when i drove the 24 tundra thanks for the info and your right it makes sense to get the ram. i hauled all the rams trucks to dealerships for years till i switched companies and then it was the BMW i liked the longhorn and the limited. so time will tell

whats so crazy to me is this all started when i drove the 24 tundra thanks for the info and your right it makes sense to get the ram. i hauled all the rams trucks to dealerships for years till i switched companies and then it was the BMW i liked the longhorn and the limited. so time will tell
I can see you liking the 15 versus the 24. My only surprise was your comment on ride quality. I owned a 2013, drove all the model years until the new one which I bought in 2022. Your comment through me for a loop to be honest. The coil suspension is so superior imo.

i know right? i loved the truck i drove it was the 4x4 plat.and it felt great, fast and i was happy. tilllllll i drove a 24 ram rebel and it was night and day. i couldnt believe it. so ya im very sad cause i wanted the 1794 TRD and im just like man that sucks and im going to go with the other guys. i wish it was different but like i said i dont want what felt like the same ride. one thing is if i didnt drive the ram right after i might feel different crazy

I can see you liking the 15 versus the 24. My only surprise was your comment on ride quality. I owned a 2013, drove all the model years until the new one which I bought in 2022. Your comment through me for a loop to be honest. The coil suspension is so superior imo.

Where do you rank the top 5 in just ride qulity of what you've tested?
Ford
Chevy
GMC
Ram
Toyota

Where do you rank the top 5 in just ride qulity of what you've tested?
Ford
Chevy
GMC
Ram
Toyota
It’s so hard to say since the ride quality differs on trim level. For example, Ram’s air suspension, GMC Magnaride.

Then, you have off-road trucks and there soft suspension.

Just impossible.

well im still looking at at may or early june due to having surgery in march. but for the ones i have driven i would say GMC, Ram and toyota. i have this thing about chevy so i will not be looking at or driving one of them yes i know they are the same as the GMC its just something about the heart beat of america that gets me and i cant do it. i have my eye on a f150 lariat with the 5.0 that i might drive just for fun this week . i do wonder if the capstone drives better but cant find any to test drive.

It’s so hard to say since the ride quality differs on trim level. For example, Ram’s air suspension, GMC Magnaride.

Just impossible.
That makes sense, I would be interested in that broken down by luxury RAM Limited/GMC Denali/Ford Platinum then by Mid tier Laramie/SLT/Lariat and then the OR models Rebel/TB-AT4/Tremor.

Just impossible.
I can only imagine. Plus 4wd vs 2wd as well. You would have to do it all at once to really be able to rank them. I'd love to see somebody get blindfolded and sit them in a passenger seat of each and have them rank the ride quality that way.

I'll probably get written of as being biased, but from a ride and handling perspective IMHO the Ram with air suspension is first, then Ram with coils, and after that it gets harder but I'd put the GM ahead of Ford (I find the Ford has the most "truckiest" feel of the 3). Haven't driven the magnaride so can't comment on it. Also not comparing the offroad trims, I've only driven a rebel and not the tremor or at4/trailboss.

It's not just whether the ride is soft or jittery, its also about total control of the suspension when things get hairy. When I was test driving trucks, the dealers near me were close to a rough road with a crack that was right in the middle of a tight bend. When the Sierra hit that crack at speed, the back end had a tendency to skip sideways, like somebody physically lifting up the rear end and moving it sideways a few inches. The Ram just soaked it up and did not have that lateral motion. The benefit of a 5 link suspension. (One guy (wiggums??) on the gm forum said he almost ditched his truck when it side-skipped heavily down a gravel/rough road.)

The downside is that the coils are less forgiving when it comes time to tow. Some guys complaining that their previous truck towed their trailer just fine and now suddenly they're having porpoising or other problems. It can still be corrected as most often the weight is just not proportioned correctly for their setup but it does appear that the GM and Ford leafsprings are more forgiving.

Another "disadvantage" of Rams coils is that they are progressive; the first inch gives quicker than the second inch, so sag looks worse on a Ram with lighter loads. However the advantage of the progressive coil is that it gives you that soft cushy ride while also being able to handle heavy weights. If you put 1000 pounds in the bed of both a GM and a Ram, they'll both sink about 2 inches (according to Truck King who tested that a few years ago).

This towing thing doesn't seem to be a problem for the air suspension, but it has its own flaw in that it doesn't last long in harsh/cold winters.

I haven't driven a new Tundra with the coils but I know one review said it was very communicative/jittery; you felt every little puddle and rut. I think that was Truck King but can't be certain. I found that surprising given Rams excellent tuning of their coils but thats what they said.

i feel that ford is just going to be ford and just sell to the masses with work trucks and such. so i dont think they really care. but than again with the sales numbers coming out and the big hit they took that might change. i just watched tims video on the 2025 laramie with the trailer behind it and he went over the truck and i had to rewind when he said the truck he was in was 83K for a Laramine??? what in the world are the limited and rebel going to cost?? i did like the ride in the ram and with these new trucks dropping soon i see 2 things that are going to happen 1 the 2024 are going to drop another 10K because of the basic v6 puts out 420 hp or the 2025 are going to sit and collect rust cause of the prices? i see the car market is turning back to a buyers market and that is the only good thing that is happening right now. im on a wait list for the new Tremor to test drive and i have a test drive this weekend in the AT4X so thats a couple of more . again guys thanks for the info. im starting to love this page and forum. on a side note thanks for not pointing out my spelling and run on sentences i just type God bless

Back