Cross-shopping midsize and full size? (Myth?)

I have a standard bed AT4 and didn't care at the time of the purchase, I was coming from a 2nd gen Tacoma so any bed size would do in a full size. I do agree it looks better, as you said it's more proportional. Now that I have it, I love it.

Your comment, along with my thoughts, are why I don't beleive the manufacturers when they talk about nobody buying them. Tim talks about that a lot but the premise ignores some facts. The facts are it makes sense profitability wise for the manufacturer to limit their options if they don't think it will cost them a sale. Would a ford guy buy a GM truck if it came down to the bed option? I don't believe that.

Also, we hear numbers a lot "5% of trucks sold are other than Crew Cab short bed" (I'm making that up for an example but we hear things like that a lot from the manufacturers regurgitated by YouTube reviewers) How many trucks made are long bed, or not crew cab, do they not sell on the lots? We're not given that information.

Ford and GM always look for ways to cut costs and drive up margin. This has always seemed like a false numbers game to me, they make less and thus sell less and then use parts of that data to confirm their decision and limit choice for consumers which then drive down cost and margin up.
I wouldn’t discount the short bed sell better argument. Other than the AT4x and Denali Ultimate the standard bed is still an option. You may need to jump through more hoops to get one but it can be done. Unless GM is restricting standard bed through allocations dealers are ordering the bed size which will be the easiest to sell which is why there are more short beds on the lot than standard beds.

I wouldn’t discount the short bed sell better argument. Other than the AT4x and Denali Ultimate the standard bed is still an option. You may need to jump through more hoops to get one but it can be done. Unless GM is restricting standard bed through allocations dealers are ordering the bed size which will be the easiest to sell which is why there are more short beds on the lot than standard beds.
I think the biggest problem is once someone experiences the back seat in a crew-cab, they're willing to give up some bed length really quick. I know I did. I was shocked how little the smaller bed affected me. Still carried lumber, still fit an ATV, just had the tailgate down more. I loved the huge covered and secure storage space. And combining the 6' bed with the crew is just so damn long, not many people wanted that.

I never thought that was really a thing other than to complain about. With the new trucks having auto headlights and auto high beams I've trouched my light dial maybe 3 times in the 3 years I've owned it? At that point I don't really care where it is.
I would agree with you but the auto headlights always behave weird and dusk and dawn and I constantly need to mange them. Always having to deal with my touchscreen for that would get really annoying.

I would agree with you but the auto headlights always behave weird and dusk and dawn and I constantly need to mange them. Always having to deal with my touchscreen for that would get really annoying.

Auto headlights or high beams? High beams do mess up occasionally but on the GMC there's a button for them specifically on the end of the blinker stock. The headlights have never messed up.

Auto headlights or high beams? High beams do mess up occasionally but on the GMC there's a button for them specifically on the end of the blinker stock. The headlights have never messed up.
Auto headlights! Auto high beams have been pretty consistent for me.

The auto headlights, at dusk or dawn, are always messed up because of the angle of the sun. Once that hour has gone by, it gets back to being useful again.

Sure, sometimes in shadows they come on then go off again when you hit the sunlight. I don't really care, I let it do what it wants, I don't play with it. To be honest, I wouldn't really care if headlights came on every time you placed it in drive regardless of outside lighting. Just make low-beams DRL.

Sure, sometimes in shadows they come on then go off again when you hit the sunlight. I don't really care, I let it do what it wants, I don't play with it. To be honest, I wouldn't really care if headlights came on every time you placed it in drive regardless of outside lighting. Just make low-beams DRL.
I was scratching my head on that one. I guess I've noticed around sunset that they might go off and on once or twice before sticking on, the thought of fiddling with the dial never crossed my mind.

I was scratching my head on that one. I guess I've noticed around sunset that they might go off and on once or twice before sticking on, the thought of fiddling with the dial never crossed my mind.
It's mostly because I drive trough a lot of trees/shaded area. So it's still dark overall but the sun might be peeking in between some trees long enough to deactivate my headlights. I need my headlights to help see deer and other critters on the road.

Back