Cross-shopping midsize and full size? (Myth?)

I would love to cross shop, but an equivalent half-ton, same spec and equipment, with equivalent or less payload weirdly enough is around 20-30k more here in Canada. This is a pretty big difference for a little more space in the bed and cab and some more towing capability. My kids are very young, fuel economy is better in the real world on a midsize, except the 3.0L from GM, and when hunting I can pick my line on the trail instead of just having to try to power trough everything.

Canadian prices are really high so that makes sense, I don't necessarily agree with the fuel economy but I think my head it's jsut that there all close enough with the engine options in the full size. I don't see any midsizers running around getting 25mpg. They seem to all be getting about the same as half tons. 1-2 MPG more, again only is some options, isn't a difference worth noting.

I would love to cross shop, but an equivalent half-ton, same spec and equipment, with equivalent or less payload weirdly enough is around 20-30k more here in Canada. This is a pretty big difference for a little more space in the bed and cab and some more towing capability. My kids are very young, fuel economy is better in the real world on a midsize, except the 3.0L from GM, and when hunting I can pick my line on the trail instead of just having to try to power trough everything.
These are the exact same reasons I am using to downsize. Cost for what you get is the biggest reason. And I can't stand inefficiency, so the bigger cab is just wasteful to me now. I may actually run out of needed bed volume but that can be addressed with my existing trailer. But I do agree with Fightnfire, the mpg is really the same. The funny part is if you just search for pickups under the EPA website, gas only, 1st is the Maverick, followed by Santa Cruz which makes sense. Next is the Ranger but then the Ram and F150 in front of the Colorado or Honda.

Good points everyone, my reasoning for the fuel economy comes from real world experience and comparison with my family. Everybody in my family and friend have trucks, were talking 9 F150's with a bunch of different engines, 4 Chevy's 1500, one GMC 1500, two ram 1500 and 3 F250, mix between gas and diesel. We all go hunting in the same spot and I get better fuel millage than all of them by 2l/100km (1mpg) to 18l/100km (13mpg), Old F250 are super bad on gas, especially a gas truck lol. This is looking at the screen in the truck and then the amount of fuel with put at the pump coming in and out of the bush.

Yeah 2l/100km is not much, but it's still better. Not sure that my Ranger would get better millage than a 3.0L diesel from GM or a powerboost hybrid from Ford.

Just popping in to say this is a really good discussion and yup, I did the video with Dave based on this forum conversation. Thanks for the idea!
Unrelated, but awesome job with the forum. Really like the vibe and the discussion that are going on here. It really feels like I'm peaking behind the curtains of a youtuber's life and the truck industry. Cheers from Canada 🍻

I had a moment that brought back this thread. A resident where I work sold his Ford F-150 for a Ford Ranger. The F-150 had 35,000 miles on it and he was asking $30,000. (It was 2-3 years old) So, I think they get crossed shopped depending on life moments as well as other things.

I was initially interested in the Canyon with the 2.8 duramax/diesel. Excellent fuel mileage, but I didn't think it would take the towing abuse.

I suspect you'll find more people upsizing to a half ton from something smaller (car/suv/mid size truck), then you will finding people from a half ton "downgrading" to a mid size.

I hated full size trucks before my first one. I had a Jeep GC previously and that suv was amazing. Little mountain goat, luxurious interior, 4x4 can take you anywhere, tighter turning radius than the cars I owned previously. But I needed a truck for towing and now that I've gotten use to the comfort and capability of a full size I don't think I can go back unless I have a very specific need (tight on cash, or have to fit in a small spot often etc).

This is also the first vehicle where my legs aren't crammed up against the dash or the console on the side etc. Seating position is high (even for trucks, Ram gives you that "overview" effect more so than the other brands, you sit more "on" the truck than "in" it and you either hate it or love it).

Yep, I was the same. A Jeep CJ was my daily for 20 years until I bought a full-size, so the extra room/cargo space was awesome. Now though, I just feel it's too much excess. I don't want to go to a Maverick, but a mid-size feels good. I've been testing them out and they feel big enough inside but drive much smaller outside.

Reviving this thread now that the Tacoma has landed...

TFL made this video and it really made me think.

They find a few different full size trucks for 50ish k. A double cab Tundra decently equipped for 52, 4x4 non-hybrid (more back seat room than a mid-size.) A 2024 Dodge RAM 1500 for 45, Hemi and 4x4. I think Roman nailed it at the end... If I'm choosing between a low/mid equipped mid-size and a low/mid equipped fullsize for 5-8k more...going full size all day.

Reviving this thread now that the Tacoma has landed...

TFL made this video and it really made me think.

They find a few different full size trucks for 50ish k. A double cab Tundra decently equipped for 52, 4x4 non-hybrid (more back seat room than a mid-size.) A 2024 Dodge RAM 1500 for 45, Hemi and 4x4. I think Roman nailed it at the end... If I'm choosing between a low/mid equipped mid-size and a low/mid equipped fullsize for 5-8k more...going full size all day.
I would disagree that there is more room in the Double cab Tundra than a midsized truck. I sat in both. At best they are the same, but I think there is more room in the Taco. I didn't measure them, but sitting behind myself I had more leg room in the Taco.

Other than that, I totally agree, if you don't care about the backseat and need Full size capability, the extra money is well worth it. Especially with the used market coming down. The Limited Double Cab I drove had the TRD Off-Road Package, 14 in screen, pretty much the same as the Taco, had I think 17000 miles and was listed at $48000. It only had the factory warranty though, it was not certified. But still, it was tempting!

I would disagree that there is more room in the Double cab Tundra than a midsized truck. I sat in both. At best they are the same, but I think there is more room in the Taco. I didn't measure them, but sitting behind myself I had more leg room in the Taco.

Other than that, I totally agree, if you don't care about the backseat and need Full size capability, the extra money is well worth it. Especially with the used market coming down. The Limited Double Cab I drove had the TRD Off-Road Package, 14 in screen, pretty much the same as the Taco, had I think 17000 miles and was listed at $48000. It only had the factory warranty though, it was not certified. But still, it was tempting!
I thought they felt identical legroom wise but more headroom, shoulder room in the Tundra dbl. Proportion could play a factor I'm 6'1-6'2" but with a taller torso than legs. So I felt more space in the shoulders etc.

I certainly wouldn't. I think it still comes down to the same thing, do you need that space or not? We can always apply the "it's just 8-10K more" rule to upgrade to anything. From an extended to a crew, 5ft to 6ft bed, 2wd to 4wd, etc. And if we throw in brands, you can get a brand-new Ram right now for 8-10K less than other brands but if you don't want one, you don't want one.

I decided to just look it up:

2024 Tundra dbl cab measurements:
  • Headroom (Front/Rear): 41.0 inches / 38.5 inches.
  • Shoulder Room (Front/Rear): 65.0 inches / 63.4 inches.
  • Hip Room (Front/Rear): 62.6 inches / 60.5 inches.
  • Legroom (Front/Rear): 41.2 inches / 33.3 inches.
2024 Tacoma dbl cab measurements, (two conflicting resources:)
  • Toyota Dealer:
  • Head Room (front/rear): 39.7 in. / 38.3 in.
  • Shoulder Room (front/rear): 58.3 in. / 58.9 in.
  • Hip Room (front/rear): 57.2 in. / 56.3 in.
  • Leg Room (front/rear): 42.9 in. / 32.6 in.
  • Edmunds:
  • Rear headroom: 38.4 in
  • Rear legroom: 33.7 in
  • Rear shoulder room: 57.8 in
  • Rear hip room: 56.3 in

I have always been certain that the quad cab, double cab, or extended cab in a full-size is larger than the crew cabs in mid-size trucks. However, it's not just the cab size; the overall dimensions of the truck are larger, which is what I wish to avoid.

I certainly wouldn't. I think it still comes down to the same thing, do you need that space or not? We can always apply the "it's just 8-10K more" rule to upgrade to anything. From an extended to a crew, 5ft to 6ft bed, 2wd to 4wd, etc. And if we throw in brands, you can get a brand-new Ram right now for 8-10K less than other brands but if you don't want one, you don't want one.
I don't disagree because you and I know what we want. The general at large question tho is how many people don't have a very specific need and just want a truck. I need to be able to tow a large trailer and fit 2 teenagers in the back. Full size for me. It I think about the people who have purchased trucks close to me most of them don't have specific needs like that, a mid-size or full-size would both work great. Is that the norm or are we the norm?

The new Tacoma is pushing the boundary a bit with price. It used to be the TRD OR and Sport were well equipped out of the gate. Now, they're a low to mid tier choice option wise starting at 44k (for the Auto, 4x4.) With the first OR upgrade package your over 49k.

The 2024 Tundra in the video was 52 (4x4.)
The full size RAM (Hemi and 4x4) was 46.

That's not 8-10k more that's the same.

I have always been certain that the quad cab, double cab, or extended cab in a full-size is larger than the crew cabs in mid-size trucks. However, it's not just the cab size; the overall dimensions of the truck are larger, which is what I wish to avoid.
That's how I've always felt sitting in them.

I'd add that you need to balance your realistic needs against your perceived needs. Prior to getting my AT4 I was taking part in a discussion regarding shortbed vs standard bed on a half ton. Someone brought up the following point in favor of getting the standard bed, “what are you going to do if you need a sheet of plywood?” Sounded convincing until I thought about how likely is it that I'll need to move a sheet of plywood considering it's been 30 years since the last time I needed to do so.

Takining the what if argument a bit further I'd likey talk myself out of the half ton on the basis I might need a heavy duty.

I agree it's easy to get caught up in the buy more than you really need argument

I thought they felt identical legroom wise but more headroom, shoulder room in the Tundra dbl. Proportion could play a factor I'm 6'1-6'2" but with a taller torso than legs. So I felt more space in the shoulders etc.
I'm 5'8 and 150 lbs so size does make a difference for head/torso for sure. I don't think someone your size would want to spend time in either of those places!

I don't disagree because you and I know what we want. The general at large question tho is how many people don't have a very specific need and just want a truck. I need to be able to tow a large trailer and fit 2 teenagers in the back. Full size for me. It I think about the people who have purchased trucks close to me most of them don't have specific needs like that, a mid-size or full-size would both work great. Is that the norm or are we the norm?

The new Tacoma is pushing the boundary a bit with price. It used to be the TRD OR and Sport were well equipped out of the gate. Now, they're a low to mid tier choice option wise starting at 44k (for the Auto, 4x4.) With the first OR upgrade package your over 49k.

The 2024 Tundra in the video was 52 (4x4.)
The full size RAM (Hemi and 4x4) was 46.

That's not 8-10k more that's the same.
The Tundra was not mid-equipped, it was stripped like the Tacoma's they looked at, which were $42K, that's the ten difference I was pointing out. The Ram, well, that's the Classic so you know you are getting a 2009 design, so it better be lower than any other truck on any lot in any config. There are Mavericks that cost more....lol

I'd add that you need to balance your realistic needs against your perceived needs. Prior to getting my AT4 I was taking part in a discussion regarding shortbed vs standard bed on a half ton. Someone brought up the following point in favor of getting the standard bed, “what are you going to do if you need a sheet of plywood?” Sounded convincing until I thought about how likely is it that I'll need to move a sheet of plywood considering it's been 30 years since the last time I needed to do so.

Takining the what if argument a bit further I'd likey talk myself out of the half ton on the basis I might need a heavy duty.

I agree it's easy to get caught up in the buy more than you really need argument
That's a big one people get caught up in, bed size. Some still say it ain't a truck without an 8' bed! Once again, it comes down to use. 30-40 years ago, they were only used as trucks, not daily drivers so that mattered. Not anymore. I probably fill my bed more than many non-work truck users and I know I can easily get away with a 5' bed.

Back