3rd Gen Engine Failures

Yep, I'll probably pay cash on the next one unless financing drops below the point where it's worth it. Whether you pay cash, take the rebate, finance low, lease, etc. you gotta do the all the math.

I don't think cash talks nearly as much as it used to. Interest rate saving definitely makes sense but from the dealers perspective it's been a long time since cash got you the best deal.
The biggest reason cash doesn't work anymore is that the dealers also make money on financing. If they offer you 6%, they may be getting the money at 5% so it's just extra money in their pocket. I regularly tell dealers I'll finance with them so they will lower the actual sales price knowing they'll still make money on financing. Do the deal then pay it off a month later. Just make sure they do not have early pay-off fines.

I don't think paying cash gives you a deal, now it's, your paying the price of the truck + taxes and nothing else versus having to pay interest. So it really depends on the interest rate and if you can pay cash.

The biggest reason cash doesn't work anymore is that the dealers also make money on financing. If they offer you 6%, they may be getting the money at 5% so it's just extra money in their pocket. I regularly tell dealers I'll finance with them so they will lower the actual sales price knowing they'll still make money on financing. Do the deal then pay it off a month later. Just make sure they do not have early pay-off fines.
Yup, that and having a trade that they can flip for some cash flow.

He does not hold back...

The failure rate seems fine for a new motor but gasoline particulate filters..ouch

I couldn't believe it either. Gasoline particulate filters. That alone is a huge reason to never buy this truck. I already had a long list, but it's just another huge expense you'll have to deal with eventually. He's right about diesels being ruined by the emissions equipment. For Toyota to put something like that on an engine and it's not even required by regulations...WTF! This would be a good thing to ask Toyota engineers about.

Last edited:
He does not hold back...

The failure rate seems fine for a new motor but gasoline particulate filters..ouch

Gasoline particulate filters. Huh. Yet again, I learn something new. It seems like this is meant to meet Euro 6 standards and since this engine is likely to be used globally, I can see why they added it. The GPF isn’t new to vehicles with MB introducing it back in 2014.

This is a good resources article:

Just finished watching the video. This should be retitled “why I hate particulate filters.” LOL.

This guy reminds me of various mechanics I had for roommates and friends I have who are mechanics. They all share the same view point that is make the engine as simple as possible and buy the cheapest model of vehicle you can. They never seem to discuss power delivery or performance. And they don’t give a crap about emissions one bit. They are only concerned with how to repair it and how expensive it will be when it breaks. Not an “if,” rather a “when.”

Specifically to this video, I did think it was interesting his discussion on separate coolers for the turbos. It seemed like he didn’t understand that while, yes the coolant lines could fail, they do work to solve the more expensive issue of the turbo failing.

Just finished watching the video. This should be retitled “why I hate particulate filters.” LOL.

This guy reminds me of various mechanics I had for roommates and friends I have who are mechanics. They all share the same view point that is make the engine as simple as possible and buy the cheapest model of vehicle you can. They never seem to discuss power delivery or performance. And they don’t give a crap about emissions one bit. They are only concerned with how to repair it and how expensive it will be when it breaks. Not an “if,” rather a “when.”

Specifically to this video, I did think it was interesting his discussion on separate coolers for the turbos. It seemed like he didn’t understand that while, yes the coolant lines could fail, they do work to solve the more expensive issue of the turbo failing.
I'll agree with that. Many people blow crap way outta proportion. Remember all the complaints about ABS? "Brake maintenance will be so difficult and expensive!" Yep, at first it was, but now we don't even think about it, it's just there.

Did the video get taken down. The link in the tread is marked private
Looks like he took it down because he was looking at the specs for the wrong engine. He just posted a new video about his mistakes. One thing I'm glad to hear is that it doesn't actually have the gas particulate filter. It seemed crazy to do it when it wasn't required by the regs.

There are plenty of reasons to hate particulate filters if you've had problems with them. However, looks like he was mistaken and was looking at the wrong specs. He posted a new video just a bit ago talking about what he got wrong. I'm glad to hear those engines don't have them though.

Looks like he took it down because he was looking at the specs for the wrong engine. He just posted a new video about his mistakes. One thing I'm glad to hear is that it doesn't actually have the gas particulate filter. It seemed crazy to do it when it wasn't required by the regs.
Thanks. I went looking for Tundra Particulate Filter and came up with nothing...Dang Canadians always screwing things up ;)

Sad part, I remember seeing both of the (real) guys play.

Back