Yep, there's a stop sale on the 2024 Colorado

I tow my trailer with the standard GMC mirrors, no clip ons or extensions. I have the ability to add the invisible trailer system or an integrated back/reversing trailer camera. I had every plan of doing so when I purchased in 2021 but now I don't really see the point. I see fine towing on the freeway and have two kids (plus two more in another vehicle) to get out and help back me up if needed. When in tow mode and the blinker is activated my screen changes and shows me a side view down the truck and trailer from each side mirror, works flawlessly.

All this new trailer tech is nice but I don't really see the value in it, and that's coming from someone who really appreciates truck tech.

To Jill's point, backup cameras are mandated by law in all 2018(?)+ cars and trucks so unfortunately we're getting a screen whether we like them or not, even in the most basic truck.

I don't think its the screen itself that makes a car look dated, more the fact that in the past they were closer to black and white with poor readability and potato quality cameras.

We're at the point now where the screens and cameras look and function great, so that leaves software updates as the big question mark. And that's why I prefer systems with Android Auto/Car Play because the navigation and many apps can be updated on a regular basis regardless of what the truck manufacturer says. I always have the latest and greatest software now in my truck for what matters; maps, media player etc. If the other controls like hvac or turning on heated seats doesn't update ever again I won't care because it all works flawlessly anyway.

But map updates are crucial if we plan to drive the truck for 15+ years. And I refuse to subscribe to features in a truck, anything like that can take a quick hike off a cliff, there is no excuse for that nonsense.

To Jill's point, backup cameras are mandated by law in all 2018(?)+ cars and trucks so unfortunately we're getting a screen whether we like them or not, even in the most basic truck.

I don't think its the screen itself that makes a car look dated, more the fact that in the past they were closer to black and white with poor readability and potato quality cameras.

We're at the point now where the screens and cameras look and function great, so that leaves software updates as the big question mark. And that's why I prefer systems with Android Auto/Car Play because the navigation and many apps can be updated on a regular basis regardless of what the truck manufacturer says. I always have the latest and greatest software now in my truck for what matters; maps, media player etc. If the other controls like hvac or turning on heated seats doesn't update ever again I won't care because it all works flawlessly anyway.

But map updates are crucial if we plan to drive the truck for 15+ years. And I refuse to subscribe to features in a truck, anything like that can take a quick hike off a cliff, there is no excuse for that nonsense.

I don't think I've used the included Navigation in my truck once in the last 3 years. Wireless Android Auto only.

I have the ability to add the invisible trailer system or an integrated back/reversing trailer camera. I had every plan of doing so when I purchased in 2021 but now I don't really see the point. I see fine towing on the freeway and have two kids (plus two more in another vehicle) to get out and help back me up if needed.

Agreed. Now that I have a 7' wide enclosed trailer, I only use my stock mirrors. I actually still have clip-on for a 4th gen as well as 5th gen Rams I need to sell. When backing up, you always need a guide anyway. When on the road, I just want to see my blind spot to make sure I have room to pull into the other lane. What is directly behind me does not affect that.

I was always curious, with that "invisible trailer" mode GM markets, how does that work? Do you need to install a camera to the back of your trailer? Is it wireless or wired?

Agreed. Now that I have a 7' wide enclosed trailer, I only use my stock mirrors. I actually still have clip-on for a 4th gen as well as 5th gen Rams I need to sell. When backing up, you always need a guide anyway. When on the road, I just want to see my blind spot to make sure I have room to pull into the other lane. What is directly behind me does not affect that.

I was always curious, with that "invisible trailer" mode GM markets, how does that work? Do you need to install a camera to the back of your trailer? Is it wireless or wired?
It is typically wired GMC give us two extra plug ins for cameras (similar to others now) that if used show the camera through your infotainment screen with the rest of the camera views instead of using a separate screen. It actually works pretty slick and works well. I've seen it a few different times in demos. I had a small 19' trailer and when we traded that in on our 29' I had planned on getting the camera and setting it up.

I picked the new trailer up in Spokane which is about 4-5 hours east of me in WA over the mountains. I drove it home and the whole time I was thinking about, and getting excited, about some mods extended mirrors, invisible camera etc. At the end of the trip I didn't think I HAD to have it. I could see fine. It could also be that the 6.2 GMC is a pullig beast and the most stable I've felt with a big travel trailer in any half ton. I have the standard bed which for GMC is the longer bed, I know that helps alot compared to the normal crew short bed. So, what I'm saying is I was really comfortable... I've towed when I wasn't as comfortable and the general mild anxiety might have been helped with extended mirrors or the invisible system.

Reading the "stop sale" from GM sounds pretty bad. Not sure if that is the issue with the 2024s as well. The front camera causing inadvertent engagement of the emergency braking mode is definitely not good. It read there were 5 accidents and 3 injuries associated with it. That's gonna go over like fart in church.....

Back