Truck King broke their Tacoma

Things tend to run a bit hot on TW. I'm in agreement with some of the less "Toyota quality sucks now" comments that he accidentally tried to money shift, failed to get it into gear and trashed the clutch:
1. This happened three months ago. I don't do 5 to 3 shifts at 50+ miles an hour myself but I'm sure there are those who do or at least engine brake pretty aggressively. It seems like every stick driver has a different opinion on how to drive a stick. There are a significant number of 2024 MTs on the road now, myself included. If it was a problem I would expect we would have heard other reports before this one.
2. The transmission is a carryover from the Hilux (diesels with more torque than the T24A-FTS). I don't think Toyota put in a trans that can't handle the torque. They may have derated it a bit because of driveline vibration at high RPMs. At least that is the explanation I recall from Sheldon. Jeff Lange had a comment to this effect and he is the EF Hutton of TW (when Jeff speaks people listen, or at least should).
3. The grinding in the video. Says to me that he probably missed 3rd and was trying to force it into 1st.
4. He never made it completely into 1st. If he had the engine would have blown at 90 kph. 1st on the 2024 is a really short gear. In that respect, it's probably a good thing the clutch went. Better the clutch than the engine.
Have a look at these 2 videos. This guy did it just for views, but it's and indication of how durable the clutches and transmissions are in the older rigs. If Mr. Elmer blew up the clutch that easily in the new Tacoma, there's something fundamentally wrong with that setup.

Should I go ahead with the purchase; I'll need to swing by Walmart to grab a step stool like the one Tim uses. I appreciate the advice and the demonstration, Tim!
Make sure you wrap it in camouflage so people don't see it and make fun of you. :)

Have a look at these 2 videos. This guy did it just for views, but it's and indication of how durable the clutches and transmissions are in the older rigs. If Mr. Elmer blew up the clutch that easily in the new Tacoma, there's something fundamentally wrong with that setup.

I've watched that guy a few times. He has an interesting channel and seems pretty likable.

I'm not sold on "fundamentally" wrong. I do think the clutch blew far too easily. It could have just been a bad part that was destined to break or a odd combination of events. Who knows.

I'm in the wait and see camp. If it is just TK's Tacoma, then nothing to see here. If it keeps happening, then there's something.

Old a** Ranger is tougher than a new Tacoma

I've watched that guy a few times. He has an interesting channel and seems pretty likable.

I'm not sold on "fundamentally" wrong. I do think the clutch blew far too easily. It could have just been a bad part that was destined to break or a odd combination of events. Who knows.

I'm in the wait and see camp. If it is just TK's Tacoma, then nothing to see here. If it keeps happening, then there's something.
Well, we kinda already did the wait and see thing since this happened quite awhile back and Toyota blamed it on the way he shifted. They also didn’t say it was a faulty part. The review wasn’t published right away when it happened, why? It doesn’t pass the sniff test.

The part I don't get about this is all of the people saying the "engine would have blown" or "better the clutch than the transmission." What should have happened is the rear tires should have locked up and scared the shit out of the occupants. That's it. I'm teaching my son to drive a manual right now in a 2000 Ford Ranger, mis-shifts happen down and up.

Let me preface this with the fact that I have never desired a Toyota because I always felt the fanboys put them on too high a pedestal. I drove my CJ back then as a daily and reveled in the fact that I had to constantly work on it. Screw those sissies! I had the same negative feeling for F150s, overhyped. Which is why, when I got a full-size in '06, I bought a Ram. Not once but twice. In no known universe do I claim them the best. The Hemi has its issues regardless of what the fanboys say.

But I'm still not seeing enough facts to back up the statement that the new Tacoma that was released is a failure. At least not yet. Like you said, there are only two camps; the Toyota fan club that defends any attack on the invincibility of Toyota and everyone else who sees a misprint on the warranty card as complete and utter disaster of the new Tacoma. One thing I have noticed though, is that most of the residents of the latter camp don't actually own a Tacoma. I'm truly in the middle, and until there is more evidence to the contrary, I think the sky, is in fact, not falling.

I agree?

That wasn't what you asked me though and not what I tried to answer. I also don't think I've called it an outright failure, critical absolutely but not a failure. We don't know enough yet to really make any sort of a determination.

1719934146462.png
You asked me three questions:
1) Why do I think TFL/TKs incidents are a problem (Most of what I watch on YouTube is new or redesigned releases of pickups that are press loans or long term reviews. So far since, 2021ish, the count of vehicles breaking while being filmed is Toyota 2, everyone else 0.)

2) Are there more issues like these happening (Yes and No)

3) Or.. do I just feel that Toyota quality overall is a problem (The majority of my post was spent answering this question specifically and focusing on Toyota's last three truck rollouts.)

I tried to answer all three of those questions.

I don't think the new Tacoma is a failure (yet, time will tell,) hell I even said I expect it to be the highest selling midsize truck in 2025. I just don't think it should be.

Last edited:
Last point about all this uproar is the point that GM has had a much bumpier start to their release. Nothing but crickets about them. The roof getting dented in a carwash? Really? Gotta admit, that's pretty funny. I won't bother talking about the engines that Ben mentioned although there were more of them than Tacoma front diff issues, just saying. I find it odd how everyone absolutely lost their mind when the TFL Taco broke but did drive home. Yet nowhere near the fervor when Andre's died in the driveway, and he took two days to get operational again. Of course he had the camera failure as well, and the third incident was the driver's pod was dead. There are still plenty of owners complaining about dead pods and software issues on the 2024s. To date there are no recalls of the 24's but two on the 23's: one for overtightened lug nuts and a second for automatic braking randomly engaging. Even with many more problems to date than Toyota, I still don't see the GM release being a failure either.

The roof issue was the Silverado/Sierra, not the Colorado/Canyon. The stop sale was to ensure the software fix was working as intended and completed before any more customers took delivery. Pretty stand up by GM if you ask me. Andre's software caused a fervor from what I remember but this forum didn't exist then, (Oct 2023ish) I'm sure we would have discussed it at length.

Also, Andre chose to let his truck try and trickle charge for two days. A new battery would have had him back on the road in 20 minutes without a trip to the dealer other than to get a refund on the battery, the delay was because the battery had gotten so low it wouldn't take a charge initially. I follow GM pretty close and that software update issue has been fixed and addressed by GM. I'm sure there are other software issues but if were counting those then we need to look at Toyota, Ford and Ram too.. lots of issues with their infotainment and subscription services, auto unlock etc. I don't bring that stuff up because I think every manufacturer has software issues with new vehicles but they get worked out pretty quickly usually.

As clarified above, the engine issue Ben pointed at affected 4 Colorado engines in total and no customers affected, (no Canyon motors) it was a preventative measure for something that could cause a problem in the future.

The TFL Taco drove home, well really it was towed off the mountain until it was deemed safe to continue in 2WD. If it had been solo, who knows, they were all very concerned about it sliding down the hill in the conditions.

Personally I would much rather have a software issue with a new vehicle than a drivetrain issue.

Last edited:
I agree?

That wasn't what you asked me though and not what I answered. I also don't think I've called it a failure?

View attachment 543
You asked me three questions:
1) Why do I think TFL/TKs incidents are a problem (Most of what I watch on YouTube is new or redesigned releases of pickups that are press loans or long term reviews. So far since, 2021ish, the count of vehicles breaking while being filmed is Toyota 2, everyone else 0.)

2) Are there more issues like these happening (Yes and No)

3) Or.. do I just feel that Toyota quality overall is a problem (The majority of my post was spent answering this question specifically and focusing on Toyota's last three truck rollouts.)

I tried to answer all three of those questions.

I don't think the new Tacoma is a failure (yet, time will tell,) hell I even said I expect it to be the highest selling midsize truck in 2025. I just don't think it should be.
I think Toyota redesigned the Tacoma and Tundra just barely enough to get by and not excel at anything.

I think Toyota redesigned the Tacoma and Tundra just barely enough to get by and not excel at anything.
It's hard not to draw that conclusion.

But what I think they really did is, for the first time in their history, try to design a modern truck on par with the big 3 in tech, options and interior features and spent too much money in that area which caused the truck(s) to be engineered to close to margins in other key areas. Specifically speaking about the 3rd gen Tacoma and the Tundra.. time will tell on the 4th gen Tacoma but it's not looking great right now.

I'm curious. What kinds of tests?
Dumping firewood in the bed or any sharp pointy stuff to see how the bed holds up, spraying milk or soda on the screen to see if the kid just cost me a bundle of money to replace the screen, jamming the transmission down to first gear to see if it breaks anything, there are probably more but all of things I mentioned would surely violate the contract that the auto manufactures have for press fleet vehicles.

Dumping firewood in the bed or any sharp pointy stuff to see how the bed holds up, spraying milk or soda on the screen to see if the kid just cost me a bundle of money to replace the screen, jamming the transmission down to first gear to see if it breaks anything, there are probably more but all of things I mentioned would surely violate the contract that the auto manufactures have for press fleet vehicles.
Roman and Nathan just did a podcast about bad dealership experiences. One of the tangents they went on was talking about press vehicle agreements. Roman talked about Tim's deer blood cleanup and his ketchup and fries spill. Apparently, you aren't supposed to have food in the vehicle or pets, but they aren't super strict about it. I have no idea what the press vehicle agreements are like, but I'm sure anything destructive would not be allowed.

The part I don't get about this is all of the people saying the "engine would have blown" or "better the clutch than the transmission." What should have happened is the rear tires should have locked up and scared the shit out of the occupants. That's it. I'm teaching my son to drive a manual right now in a 2000 Ford Ranger, mis-shifts happen down and up.
I think this statement right here is the best, most concise and accurate one I've seen to summarize things.

Not saying it would happen every time (Fightnfire may be right about an unloaded truck in 2wd just skipping the tires because not all of the inertia is being fed back into the drivetrain) but they don't call them money shifts for no reason. Someone on TW calculated with the gear ratios and speed involved in the video if he had made it all the way into first it would have placed the engine at 12,000+ RPM.

Roman and Nathan just did a podcast about bad dealership experiences. One of the tangents they went on was talking about press vehicle agreements. Roman talked about Tim's deer blood cleanup and his ketchup and fries spill. Apparently, you aren't supposed to have food in the vehicle or pets, but they aren't super strict about it. I have no idea what the press vehicle agreements are like, but I'm sure anything destructive would not be allowed.
Do you have the timestamp? I’m curious what Roman said. Thanks.

Let me find a press loan agreement and I’ll share it in a bit. Granted I’ll take out the company name for confidentially and give you the gist.

Do you have the timestamp? I’m curious what Roman said. Thanks.
I think it was in the middle somewhere. I am at my other house tonight without my computer. I opened it on my ipad and saw there was a transcript, but I don’t know how to search for it on my ipad. If you search for blood or ketchup that should get you there.

Back