Truck King broke their Tacoma

testerdahl

Administrator
Staff member
Oh boy…

So, I knew about this for a while, but not my place to say and I didn’t have all the details. I saw the Elmers after this happened and they were talking about it. Transmission issue. I’m sure the internet will be all over my “the sky is not falling video.” LOL

Oh boy…

So, I knew about this for a while, but not my place to say and I didn’t have all the details. I saw the Elmers after this happened and they were talking about it. Transmission issue. I’m sure the internet will be all over my “the sky is not falling video.” LOL

I just watched the video. It's kinda fishy that the TFL explanation video and this explanation video came out at the same time, but maybe it is just a coincidence. I can't help but think of a time when I accidentally downshifted my 2000 S10 ZR2 into the wrong gear. It was a 5-speed manual with the 4.3 engine. The engine revved and the tires skidded but nothing broke. I am now even more convinced that these trucks are being designed closer and closer to the limit to save money. There might be more ability to control and avoid failures with modern software and sensors. However, everything needs to work right for problems to be avoided in the real world. I would much rather flat spot the tires than bust metal parts in a truck from an improper downshift.

I don't have a picture of my S10, but it looked just like this one I snagged from a search. 1719667863395.png

Oh boy…

The funniest part is all the crap about how Toyota has lost their way with this "new" design, and it is so much worse than previous models, etc.

Except, isn't that the same exact tranny and clutch that's been in Tacos for years? Guess this new motor is just too damn powerful....lol Somebody needs to take one for the team and test this with a 2018 model. I know I wouldn't do that to my Jeeps.

The funniest part is all the crap about how Toyota has lost their way with this "new" design, and it is so much worse than previous models, etc.

Except, isn't that the same exact tranny and clutch that's been in Tacos for years? Guess this new motor is just too damn powerful....lol Somebody needs to take one for the team and test this with a 2018 model. I know I wouldn't do that to my Jeeps.
I’m not sure if it’s the same or not. I have hear from other reviewers that the Tundra has everything new...no shared parts at all. I suspect it’s probably the same with the Tacoma.

Good point. They said the tranny is the same from day one of the release, but it makes sense the clutch, which is what failed, may be new considering the new engine. Considering the letter attached, it doesn't look like Toyota is too worried about this one though.

I thought it interesting that Toyota told them that they had to take power from the engine to work with the manual because it just flat out couldn't handle the power, seems like another pretty close design tolerance. I know we knew this before but it's interesting.

Either way, two of the major reviewers of new vehicles I am aware of had a truck break on them mid review.

I always find it a little funny that the two camps sit on each side of their camp and make fun of each other. As mentioned you have "the sky is falling group" but pretty clearly you have the other side of that camp which is "absolutely nothing is wrong, there's expected to be issues yada yada yada" I don't really think either of those camps think they're in the camp they are, it's a little silly.

I prefer and try to sit somewhere in the middle. I can look over at the problems being seen on forums and that two trucks broke during live reviews and say with some certainty, that's a fuckin problem. But I also believe the Tacoma will go on to be the best-selling midsize truck in 2025, the question is whether it should be.

I feel like I have seen enough to say that it should not be. Not because it is overpriced, under optioned, under powered or cheaply made but simply because the competition closed the gap on Toyota extremely quickly and from what I've seen surpassed them in almost every area possible. For less money. A lot less money.

I prefer and try to sit somewhere in the middle. I can look over at the problems being seen on forums and that two trucks broke during live reviews and say with some certainty, that's a fuckin problem. But I also believe the Tacoma will go on to be the best-selling midsize truck in 2025, the question is whether it should be.
Ok, I get it. But why do you think that the TFL/TKs incidents are a problem? I pay no attention to the forums so I gotta ask, have there been more issues of Tacos ADDs breaking like TFLs or clutches blowing up on downshifts? Or do you just feel that Toyota quality overall is a problem counting the Tundra/Lexus engine recall as well?

Ok, I get it. But why do you think that the TFL/TKs incidents are a problem? I pay no attention to the forums so I gotta ask, have there been more issues of Tacos ADDs breaking like TFLs or clutches blowing up on downshifts? Or do you just feel that Toyota quality overall is a problem counting the Tundra/Lexus engine recall as well?

(Edit, sorry for the long winded answer)

There are transmission issues popping up on the forums specifically with the manual transmission, I think that's why videos have been made and it's being discussed. We don't know if the manual transmission issues are specifically due to the clutch or other components yet just because people on forums aren't journalists that get full length review and answers from Toyota or engineers.

I have not seen diff issues on TacomaWorld which is the other major forum I spend more time on. I've said it before I'll say it again a very small percentage of owners actively participate in an enthusiast forum.

So for me this is a bigger story going a little further back than just the new Tacoma. The third gen Tacoma from inception was plagued with issues that in the end were never solved. They kept pumping out the exact same engine with the same transmission. They tried a reflash of the transmission a couple of times but that didn't solve any problems and in some cases made it worse. It was a pretty terrible driving experience.

Then after the third gen Tacoma disappointment the new Tundra comes out and as we are all aware of has had major problem after major problem not just with the engine. The engine portion of those issues also bleeds into some Lexus vehicles.

Now we have the new Tacoma which is having manual transmission issues and a broken diff, both happened to be caught on camera by automotive journalists. The likelihood of that happening leads me to believe it is not a one-off occurrence. It is having other issues reported by owners on forums but those are typically the type of issues I would expect to see in a new release vehicle.

Generally speaking Toyota gets a pass, that's obviously an opinion. But if I focus in on TFL and we look at Andre's trail Boss it has had two issues. An update glitched the software and drained his battery which was experienced by a small amount of other users. Also his rear camera has failed and they have struggled to get it fixed, I have not seen that reported by anyone else but like Toyota's diff I'm sure someone else has had the problem. They talk about The trail boss issue in every single mid-size comparison they've done but it amounted to a small software issue that was addressed and shouldn't happen again. Hasn't happened again and that was over a year ago. Nothing mechanically has gone wrong with an all-new designed and released truck with all new parts. That's pretty damn good from GM in my opinion where Toyota has had substantial issues with their last three new trucks.

I was a pretty diehard Toyota fan, I put 200,000 plus miles on my 2009 Tacoma and close to 150k mi on a 2008 Prius. I was interested in getting a third gen Tacoma and as I travel a lot for work I rented a third gen twice both in Southern California at LAX. In each trip I put about 7 to 800 mi on the truck and each time I rented it a couple of years apart I hated it. You can't keep it at speed on the freeway without constantly finding a new position for the gas pedal. You would be cruising easily at 65 and all of a sudden it would start losing speed and you would have to damn near floor it to get it back up to speed and that isn't once in the highway trip it's constant, cruise control didn't solve the problem.

As my kids were also growing I decided to start looking at full size trucks in 2021 and spent quite a bit of seat time in each manufacturer's option. I knew the new Tundra was coming and had seen it but wasn't a fan. I did go test drive one when they released and again wasn't a fan of it.

As a long time Toyota fan I had a belief in my head that they were king of reliability and quality and that GM, Ford and RAM were junk. Well to my shock they all three in their own way were better than the current Tundra. My AT4 has been rock solid as of 43,000 mi and knock on wood I haven't had a single issue.

I'm old enough to remember that when comparing trucks Toyota consistently offered a more basic option than the others but historically had better reliability and resale. If we take into account the now significantly higher entry price resale value starts going out the window quickly that leaves us with reliability... It's my opinion that when they tried to step up their game with the third gen Tacoma and offer a more modern vehicle with options the other manufacturers had been doing for years they started running into the same problems that Ford GM and Ram run into. The third gen Tacoma the new Tundra and the new Tacoma are the first trucks Toyota has made that are on par with the big three in options, tech and power.

It seems like they're having a lot of issues with that. It's a little easier to always be building a generation older truck...

So, I heard the grinding on the video but it's not clear to me if he ever got it completely into 3rd (or 1st) on the downshift before the clutch crapped out and the RPMs went back down. When they stopped the truck they show the stick and it is in neutral but he might have taken it out of gear long before they stopped, if it did in fact make it into gear.

If it never made it completely into gear I can buy he was (accidentally) trying to grind it into the 1st slot. If he did make it into first gear the truck would have jerked like they were in a front end collision.

All I can really say is no problems with mine so far, but I don't think I would try that maneuver, iMT or no iMT. Skipping a gear on downshift is something I only do when I'm simultaneously braking or have already decelerated. I'm sure others engine brake more aggressively and that's fine. My dear old dad ingrained the philosophy into me that it's good if people can tell if I'm slowing down by seeing my brake lights, and that brake pads are cheaper than transmissions.

Last edited:
There’s a guy with a channel called Autovlog who intentionally tried to damage an old Ford Ranger with a manual transmission. He shifted into Reverse and it roasted the tires but survived. Later he did a fifth to first twice before it broke.

I watched the TK video again. If he did shift into first, it went in really easy. Normally you would expect the synchros to provide some significant resistance and hear that distinct whining sound. I heard the automatic rev matching spool up the engine, but no synchro noise at all. I wonder if the rev matching feature wasn’t programmed to deal with that scenario and grenaded something? Regardless, the TK boys found a weak link in the thing and it didn’t take much effort at all to cause a huge problem.

(Edit, sorry for the long winded answer)

There are transmission issues popping up on the forums specifically with the manual transmission, I think that's why videos have been made and it's being discussed. We don't know if the manual transmission issues are specifically due to the clutch or other components yet just because people on forums aren't journalists that get full length review and answers from Toyota or engineers.

I have not seen diff issues on TacomaWorld which is the other major forum I spend more time on. I've said it before I'll say it again a very small percentage of owners actively participate in an enthusiast forum.

So for me this is a bigger story going a little further back than just the new Tacoma. The third gen Tacoma from inception was plagued with issues that in the end were never solved. They kept pumping out the exact same engine with the same transmission. They tried a reflash of the transmission a couple of times but that didn't solve any problems and in some cases made it worse. It was a pretty terrible driving experience.

Then after the third gen Tacoma disappointment the new Tundra comes out and as we are all aware of has had major problem after major problem not just with the engine. The engine portion of those issues also bleeds into some Lexus vehicles.

Now we have the new Tacoma which is having manual transmission issues and a broken diff, both happened to be caught on camera by automotive journalists. The likelihood of that happening leads me to believe it is not a one-off occurrence. It is having other issues reported by owners on forums but those are typically the type of issues I would expect to see in a new release vehicle.

Generally speaking Toyota gets a pass, that's obviously an opinion. But if I focus in on TFL and we look at Andre's trail Boss it has had two issues. An update glitched the software and drained his battery which was experienced by a small amount of other users. Also his rear camera has failed and they have struggled to get it fixed, I have not seen that reported by anyone else but like Toyota's diff I'm sure someone else has had the problem. They talk about The trail boss issue in every single mid-size comparison they've done but it amounted to a small software issue that was addressed and shouldn't happen again. Hasn't happened again and that was over a year ago. Nothing mechanically has gone wrong with an all-new designed and released truck with all new parts. That's pretty damn good from GM in my opinion where Toyota has had substantial issues with their last three new trucks.

I was a pretty diehard Toyota fan, I put 200,000 plus miles on my 2009 Tacoma and close to 150k mi on a 2008 Prius. I was interested in getting a third gen Tacoma and as I travel a lot for work I rented a third gen twice both in Southern California at LAX. In each trip I put about 7 to 800 mi on the truck and each time I rented it a couple of years apart I hated it. You can't keep it at speed on the freeway without constantly finding a new position for the gas pedal. You would be cruising easily at 65 and all of a sudden it would start losing speed and you would have to damn near floor it to get it back up to speed and that isn't once in the highway trip it's constant, cruise control didn't solve the problem.

As my kids were also growing I decided to start looking at full size trucks in 2021 and spent quite a bit of seat time in each manufacturer's option. I knew the new Tundra was coming and had seen it but wasn't a fan. I did go test drive one when they released and again wasn't a fan of it.

As a long time Toyota fan I had a belief in my head that they were king of reliability and quality and that GM, Ford and RAM were junk. Well to my shock they all three in their own way were better than the current Tundra. My AT4 has been rock solid as of 43,000 mi and knock on wood I haven't had a single issue.

I'm old enough to remember that when comparing trucks Toyota consistently offered a more basic option than the others but historically had better reliability and resale. If we take into account the now significantly higher entry price resale value starts going out the window quickly that leaves us with reliability... It's my opinion that when they tried to step up their game with the third gen Tacoma and offer a more modern vehicle with options the other manufacturers had been doing for years they started running into the same problems that Ford GM and Ram run into. The third gen Tacoma the new Tundra and the new Tacoma are the first trucks Toyota has made that are on par with the big three in options, tech and power.

It seems like they're having a lot of issues with that. It's a little easier to always be building a generation older truck...
Damn, have you ever thought of being a writer?? LOL.

Great observation on Toyota offering older tech, in exchange for, better reliability. In most cases, I would say that’s true and, in others, I wouldn’t say that’s true. Frankly, I didn’t realize how many people thought the 5.7L V8 was a “bulletproof” engine. I’ve been doing this job long enough to remember all the issues they had with it when it came out. And I still remember people buying it then going through the Lemon Law process.

I was actually talking to the Car Care Nut about this very topic. His thinking is Toyota’s do have problems. They often have less of them compared to other OEMs.

Finally, I think a lot of Toyota fans are seeing things in a new reality these days. I mean, when I bought the 2022 Tundra, I had several Toyota fans oohing and ahhing over basic things like a digital rear view mirror. I overlooked that feature since it had been out for years. However, I’ve learned a lot of Toyota fans simply refuse to look at other vehicles. They have tunnel vision IMO.

I can’t tell you the number of people who stop by my house and ask about a Toyota in the driveway. They all say the same thing, “I’m a Toyota fan…” and then it is all about that vehicle. I can have a Tundra sitting next to a Chevy/Ford/Ram and they won’t even look at the other truck. I think that’s too bad for them. I believe everyone should shop around and look at everything available.

There’s a guy with a channel called Autovlog who intentionally tried to damage an old Ford Ranger with a manual transmission. He shifted into Reverse and it roasted the tires but survived. Later he did a fifth to first twice before it broke.

I watched the TK video again. If he did shift into first, it went in really easy. Normally you would expect the synchros to provide some significant resistance and hear that distinct whining sound. I heard the automatic rev matching spool up the engine, but no synchro noise at all. I wonder if the rev matching feature wasn’t programmed to deal with that scenario and grenaded something? Regardless, the TK boys found a weak link in the thing and it didn’t take much effort at all to cause a huge problem.
I wonder how often people shift that way. When I watched the video, it had never occurred to me to downshift like that.

I also think people are going to see this as the “transmission failed and it is junk” rather than saying TK found an issue that Toyota needs to figure out a way to address with modifications to either software or hardware.

I just watched the video. It's kinda fishy that the TFL explanation video and this explanation video came out at the same time, but maybe it is just a coincidence.
I noticed that too. I also noticed my views this weekend are down. Bastards stealing all the views!!! LOL

It was a coincidence. I know TK and TFL don’t talk about when videos drop.

I noticed that too. I also noticed my views this weekend are down. Bastards stealing all the views!!! LOL

It was a coincidence. I know TK and TFL don’t talk about when videos drop.
I actually was thinking maybe Toyota asked TK to wait until they had a response. They responded to TK and TFL at the same time or within a couple days of each. It makes sense from Toyota's perspective to lump more bad news at the same time rather than drag it out.

I wonder how often people shift that way. When I watched the video, it had never occurred to me to downshift like that.

I also think people are going to see this as the “transmission failed and it is junk” rather than saying TK found an issue that Toyota needs to figure out a way to address with modifications to either software or hardware.
I've owned 2 trucks with manual transmissions and one car. My dad had 3 trucks with manuals and both my grandpa's had manual transmission trucks and I drove all of them from time to time. Even being able to drop that Tacoma trans it into a gear so low shouldn't be as effortless as it seemed. Based on my experience, anything that breaks so easily is basically junk. I suspect the clutch was engineered to fail first to save other more expensive parts. However, it broke way too easily in this case as far as I'm concerned.

If you believe you can drive a manual ,you first need to drive one without syncro"s . And fully understand the idea of rev matching .
Rev matching in a truck or car is pretty easy. I used to shift without a clutch a lot when I was driving. I also used to do a bit of that on our old Farmall tractors. They didn't have synchros. I would run a Farmall-C pulling double hay rakes and sometimes want to go from 3rd to 2nd downhill. It took a lot of coordination to do that because the throttle was just a level with detents up in front of the steering wheel. I tried it few times with our Farmall-M but it was a lot more of a pain than the C. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone because the tractor can easily get away from you if you miss a gear. Nothing quite as exciting as a runaway open wheel tractor sitting on a metal seat with a spring under it.

Back