The Car Care Nut - The Unfortunate Truth TRD Pro Review

I hear you, I feel pretty much the same way. I haven't figured out if they're good people towing a line or hung out to dry.

Is it safe to assume, or at least I'm guessing, that the majority of people you interact with at a manufacturer are significantly downstream of the people making the decisions to deceive/lie/cheat?

It's unfortunate for those people. Sheldon at Toyota seems like a genuine really good guy but I've been around long enough to understand he's operating in a very tightly controlled box. Then it appears he's stuck toeing the line on decisions that he probably would have made differently if he was truly in control.
Yup, many of the people I work with don’t make the final decisions on things like budget and cheating.

But apparently, he likes the Tundra as he bought one for his personal ride....lol Then again, if I was a certified Toyota tech, I wouldn't buy anything else either. Too easy to keep it up.
I am surprised he didn't do a similar video on his Tundra. There's no way the build quality is that much better on it over the Tacoma.

I am surprised he didn't do a similar video on his Tundra. There's no way the build quality is that much better on it over the Tacoma.

I haven't watched it as it was over a year ago, One of the first lines in the video is "I didn't like the capstone edition because I thought it was a sad attempt to turn a Toyota into a Lexus"

That cracked me up.

I also don't think the Tundra was as outrageously priced compared to the competition as the Tacoma is which may open the door for more critiquing. The MSRP of a 2022 Tundra TRD Pro was 67,500. I know we're 2 years later but 65 for a Tacoma is ... interesting. I think that's where the high level of criticism is coming from. If this truck is sitting in the mid-50s I think a lot of this goes away.

He has a few other videos on the Tundra specifically.

Last edited:
I can confirm there's a clunking when you bottom out the shocks on the TRD Off-Road. That being said, I personally wouldn't ever treat my truck they way Icon was. It's not a meant for desert running like the TRD Pro and I definitely saw the back end of the truck coming off the ground in that video. They said it wasn't abusive, but as I said I wouldn't do that in my truck. But then again I did just use my tail light as a bumper recently sooooooo.
1723563438858.png

He did do a pretty good walkaround on his truck and pointed out some stuff. He complained the paint was grr'd up on the front fascia and front-right qrtr panel. He also said there was a rattle in the driver's door he has to track down. When he discussed the other trucks he looked at, his second choice was a Ram Tungsten, but he was nervous about the new engine and Stellantis reliability. He just completely dismissed the F150 and he didn't care for the cyl deactivation of the Chevy. "It's a truck, it gets bad mpg, live with it!" was his reasoning....lol. But in the end, he fell in love with that leather of the 1794.

Back