TFL just broke their Tacoma

Neutral, yes, but Andre was insisting that you couldn't skip 4hi. He said the enginneers "taught them" to do it that way. Sounds a little odd 🤷‍♂️

I think that's in direct response to all of the criticism Toyota has had, rightfully so, in the past about their vehicles not handling 4WD shifts very well. They're known for constantly hanging in 4LO and not disengaging or engaging. They have similar issues with their lockers. My 09 was very tempermental at 4LO shifts often times having to drive in reverse and get to level ground.

(It's why I'm now a fan of the G80, when TFL and others test them out they talk about how E-lockers are always there when you need them and only when you need them, they gloss over the fact that they are often difficult to engage and don't work as well in a true need area vs on a flat surface during a short review segment)

My DT says the preferred method is to be going 2-3mph in 2H or 4h, switch to neutral, then switch to 4L while moving. It can be done while completely stopped as well. I've always switched it while stopped.

I think Ben is right. Toyota describes it that way because on the knob, you must go through 4H to get to 4L. I cannot find any verbiage in their manual that cautions you not to switch straight through.

It's button based vs. dial or lever based. In a lot of trucks they've gone to buttons for 2H, 4H and 4L. In Toyota you have to use a dial and thus can't go straight from 2H to 4L without going "through" 4H.

Just watched the long-form video. It seems like something mechanical and not anyone's fault. The rule for off-road is being prepared for when something breaks, because something will break. Good recovery plan as well. My only thing is I think they should go to the dealer first and not try to diagnose it themselves. I also don't think the tires had anything to do with it. Both trucks struggled over the icy rocks. Ice is tough on all tires.

The first thing most off roaders would have done is crawled under to see if the front drive shaft was tuning , not turning..transfer case fault . If it is turning but no CV shafts turning, Front diff fault . If one CV turning , Half shaft fault . My quess is the sliding collar in the front diff that that disengages an axle for 2WD .

The first thing most off roaders would have done is crawled under to see if the front drive shaft was tuning , not turning..transfer case fault . If it is turning but no CV shafts turning, Front diff fault . If one CV turning , Half shaft fault . My quess is the sliding collar in the front diff that that disengages an axle for 2WD .
I agree, just different when you are filming. In hindsight, they should have stopped the cameras, accessed the situation and then pulled it free. The problem with that is you lose the energy from the video.

This was more about your comment on going to the dealer first . I, as an owner of an expensive truck would rather do the best i could, too figure out the problem, before hearing from a dealer service writer . I realize that TFL will get good treatment ,but us regular folk ,will not be as fortunate .

Just watched the long-form video. It seems like something mechanical and not anyone's fault. The rule for off-road is being prepared for when something breaks, because something will break. Good recovery plan as well. My only thing is I think they should go to the dealer first and not try to diagnose it themselves. I also don't think the tires had anything to do with it. Both trucks struggled over the icy rocks. Ice is tough on all tires.

Screen Shot 2024-02-29 at 8.47.00 PM.png
Best part of the video, Andre trying to get the Tacoma working to at least drive home and Roman berating him at 28:46 for the camera to show the dash...Andre's facial expression betrays his thoughts: "Keep talking fat boy, one call to the Kremlin and you are vacaying at Club Polar Wolf!"

Last edited:
It's button based vs. dial or lever based. In a lot of trucks they've gone to buttons for 2H, 4H and 4L. In Toyota you have to use a dial and thus can't go straight from 2H to 4L without going "through" 4H.
My DT is a rotary knob for 4wd. Ram didn't switch to the buttons until they switched to the rotary transmission shifter.....for obvious reasons.
And the instructions for the lever are the same for that era

I was finally able to watch the full video and thought they did as good as could be expected for the situation. With the tires they had and in those conditions there should have been very little stress on any 4WD part. I'm sure it was a freak thing that can happen in any truck but it's a really bad look for Toyota.

There seems to be a lot of issues right now going on with the 4th gen. I wouldn't go as far as to say "The 4th gen has problems" but the major difference I'm seeing is the amount of die hard Toyota people with concerns and talking about the issues. I can't help but feel the price is playing a big part in that.

Two things that irked me in the video...
1) They glossed over the price difference between the two vehicles.
2) Toyota Apologists. The biggest issue I had was how Roman and then Andre kept talking about how their Tacoma "was a really early production model" I believe I even heard the term pre-production. All of that BS goes out the window when you buy the truck off a lot. Thousands of these Tacoma's have already sold, or are awaiting delivery/pickup. This isn't an early production Tacoma. This is the 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road that is being sold to the public en-masse. Stop the BS excuses for Toyota.

So if I heard it right, TFL is going to, before taking the Tacoma to the dealer:

- Take it to their Tumbleweed ranch and put it on a lift (then run it through Nathan's Crack and load up from Nathan's Greenhouse)
- Have Tommy put it on the warehouse-liberated rollers in 2WD, while trying to avoid the garage opening with the bed sides
- Have Harvard/MIT grad (and Tim's best buddy) David Koichi Chao come down from Canada and look at the truck:
- The esteemed engineer Chao will declare the only way a Toyota could have broken like that was a rip in the space time continuum (after consulting with another esteemed colleague who determined the cause):
th-518642474.jpeg

TFL finally take it to the dealer (who reads this forum) and who takes my huevos challenge up...And denies the warranty claim!

Every camera recorded a loud pop and shudder when it went. I've experienced that when a hub busted, but it could also be something internal to the front diff or transfer case. I really hope we see the tear down and find out what busted. I doubt it's something simple to fix from how violently the truck shook when it happened.

So if I heard it right, TFL is going to, before taking the Tacoma to the dealer:

- Take it to their Tumbleweed ranch and put it on a lift (then run it through Nathan's Crack and load up from Nathan's Greenhouse)
- Have Tommy put it on the warehouse-liberated rollers in 2WD, while trying to avoid the garage opening with the bed sides
- Have Harvard/MIT grad (and Tim's best buddy) David Koichi Chao come down from Canada and look at the truck:
- The esteemed engineer Chao will declare the only way a Toyota could have broken like that was a rip in the space time continuum (after consulting with another esteemed colleague who determined the cause):
View attachment 248

TFL finally take it to the dealer (who reads this forum) and who takes my huevos challenge up...And denies the warranty claim!
Umm... wow. Tell me you watch too much YouTube without telling me you watch too much YouTube. LOL

Just enough; it took me awhile to remember Mr. Real Toyota Engineer and his virtual scuffle with you.
Apparently that guy is still pissed at me. If he only knew it wasn't me "calling him out." Frankly, I had never heard of him until Toyota engineers started asking me about him and they were pissed. They tried to have legal shut him down. I don't have any beefs with him.

Yeah, David still has his ego.

What is it with Canadian channels having, to put it in North of the Border terms you used, "Beef" with other channels?

Straight Pipes goes after Throttle House, David still as mad at you, I thought it was a polite country?

The Elmers, Howard and Stephen don't seem to have a problem with others...Then again, they do give off this vibe, especially Howard:

Last edited:

Yeah, David still has his ego.

What is it with Canadian channels having, to put it in North of the Border terms, "Beef" with other channels?

Straight Pipes goes after Throttle House, David still as mad at you? I thought it was a polite country?

The Elmers, Howard and Stephen don't seem to have a problem with others...Then again, they do give off this vibe, especially Howard:

I love Howard! He only appears grumpy/angry but that guy knows what's up that's for sure. I've never caught myself disagreeing with anything he says.

"polite country" is not how I'd call us, we have our major issues with road rage for a start. And the rabid left is anything but polite, they'll just as soon pull out your eyes as give you the time of day if you don't buy into whatever they're shovelling this month.

Apparently that guy is still pissed at me. If he only knew it wasn't me "calling him out." Frankly, I had never heard of him until Toyota engineers started asking me about him and they were pissed. They tried to have legal shut him down. I don't have any beefs with him.

I must have missed it, what a pity, I love a good public squabble! :ROFLMAO:

I love Howard! He only appears grumpy/angry but that guy knows what's up that's for sure. I've never caught myself disagreeing with anything he says.

"polite country" is not how I'd call us, we have our major issues with road rage for a start. And the rabid left is anything but polite, they'll just as soon pull out your eyes as give you the time of day if you don't buy into whatever they're shovelling this month.
Thanks for the input, sounds a lot like the US and the 25 other countries I have visited over the years...History has showed reversals in societies do happen and will benefit the citizens of both our countries.

Now, if the Oilers would send McDavid to my Isles for a bag of pucks, redemption will happen a lot quicker;)

While there hasn't been a video from TFL on this yet, tacoma4g's admin posted this update today:

Checked in with our friends at TFL and here's where they're at. Will update if I learn more.

"It got dropped off at the dealer and within an hour the front driveline was off the truck and shipped to Toyota to diagnose."

While there hasn't been a video from TFL on this yet, tacoma4g's admin posted this update today:

Checked in with our friends at TFL and here's where they're at. Will update if I learn more.

"It got dropped off at the dealer and within an hour the front driveline was off the truck and shipped to Toyota to diagnose."

I've been pretty surprised they haven't been dropping content, all quiet on the TFL front. There was at least 2-3 more videos they could have shot for views.

I've been pretty surprised they haven't been dropping content, all quiet on the TFL front. There was at least 2-3 more videos they could have shot for views.
Same here, but when they buys something new they do like 5 videos with it and the stop talking about it until they sell it a lot of the time. This is why Tm's channel is great, he takes the time to dive deep. I hope to be able to do that with my Taco......whenever it arrives.

Back