My 2024 Ford Ranger review posted to Consumer Guide Automotive

Mine was $54,018 I had the black badges, spray on bedliner (which I'm fine with as it's got some decent grip) and mud flaps and that was it. No SDM, no markups or dealer extras. That's with the destination as well.
I knew it was north of $50 but couldn't remember how much, thanks for posting.

I am curious to know the differences, this Ranger XLT is loaded nearly as high as you can get one.

1711404218035.png

Full Tech Package
XLT High Package
Towing Package
Spray in bedliner
Power rear window
Dual zone climate
Adaptive CC
Auto headlights/high beams
Power seats
Heated seats
360 cameras
FX4 Locker, skids

1711404347658.png

Honest question, what is it missing that $8,000+ more gets you from the Premium Taco OR? Leather for one in the Tacoma but not the XLT I believe. What else?

Link to the Ranger quoted:

Last edited:
I am curious to know the differences, this Ranger XLT is loaded nearly as high as you can get one.

View attachment 330

Full Tech Package
Lariat High Package
Towing Package
Spray in bedliner
Power rear window
Dual zone climate
Adaptive CC
Auto headlights/high beams
Power seats
Heated seats
360 cameras
FX4 Locker, skids

View attachment 331

Honest question, what is it missing that $8,000+ more gets you from the Premium Taco OR? Leather for one in the Tacoma but not the XLT I believe. What else?

Link to the Ranger quoted:
I was very surprised when I started doing the build and price for Tacoma. Surprising how expensive it is imo.

Me too. I think Ford missed a few potential customers when the missed their original on sale dates. I wish I had been able to drive one last fall.

I was very surprised when I started doing the build and price for Tacoma. Surprising how expensive it is imo.

When I get some time I'll try to get in to two quotes and break it down I just assumed somebody might know off the top of their head what the differences are between a loaded XLT and the premium TRD OR.

It seems like Ford offers a lot of the basic safety stuff that I know Toyota usually leads in.

When I get some time I'll try to get in to two quotes and break it down I just assumed somebody might know off the top of their head what the differences are between a loaded XLT and the premium TRD OR.

It seems like Ford offers a lot of the basic safety stuff that I know Toyota usually leads in.
There are a few differences. Leather seats, cooled Seats, heated steering wheel, Multi-terrain monitor, digital rearview mirror, moonroof, 10 way adjustable passenger seat instead of 8 way, Push button start, digital key, Bilstein shocks, 265/70R17 tires instead 255/70, cargo rails and tiedowns, prewired aux switches, JBL removable flex speaker, power open/close tailgate, multi-link rear suspension.

I think that's pretty much it.

There are a few differences. Leather seats, cooled Seats, heated steering wheel, Multi-terrain monitor, digital rearview mirror, moonroof, 10 way adjustable passenger seat instead of 8 way, Push button start, digital key, Bilstein shocks, 265/70R17 tires instead 255/70, cargo rails and tiedowns, prewired aux switches, JBL removable flex speaker, power open/close tailgate, multi-link rear suspension.

At first glance I think I care about the moonroof, cooled seats and the multi link rear suspension, maybe the Bilsteins but I had issues with the 5100s on my Tacoma.

I'm guessing you really wouldn't want to use a key to start your truck anymore @Fightnfire. That's so 2003! LOL. For $46,000, I'd expect it to be push button start. That seems like a strange place to cut costs. I suppose some people like the key, and that's fine too.

And my wife definitely cares about the 10 way adjustable passenger seat and heated steering wheel.

The upgrades you would want, probably would land you at about $49-50k. And the Lariat has most of those features and is about the same price as the premium off-road. So I'd say that's the most direct competitor to the Premium Tacoma. For 45-46, the Ford has the bigger screen and a trailer break controller over the off-road. And the off-road has a heated steering wheel.

There's a truck out there for everyone in the market for one as long as you're open to whatever brand has what you need.

I'm guessing you really wouldn't want to use a key to start your truck anymore @Fightnfire. That's so 2003! LOL. For $46,000, I'd expect it to be push button start. That seems like a strange place to cut costs. I suppose some people like the key, and that's fine too.

And my wife definitely cares about the 10 way adjustable passenger seat and heated steering wheel.

The upgrades you would want, probably would land you at about $49-50k. And the Lariat has most of those features and is about the same price as the premium off-road. So I'd say that's the most direct competitor to the Premium Tacoma. For 45-46, the Ford has the bigger screen and a trailer break controller over the off-road. And the off-road has a heated steering wheel.

There's a truck out there for everyone in the market for one as long as you're open to whatever brand has what you need.

I legitimately just told the lady the other day that I missed the days of keys, put it in ignition turn it and don't worry about it. That might be a me because I hate things in my pockets especially when I'm sitting in my vehicle. So because my pockets are empty it just takes up space and the console or a cup holder.

I legitimately just told the lady the other day that I missed the days of keys, put it in ignition turn it and don't worry about it. That might be a me because I hate things in my pockets especially when I'm sitting in my vehicle. So because my pockets are empty it just takes up space and the console or a cup holder.
As my child likes to say when starting one of my old girls, "An ignition key, how quaint!"

As my child likes to say when starting one of my old girls, "An ignition key, how quaint!"
The ignition key vs push start reminds me of people demanding a key about 5 years ago. They pointed out the push start could fail and it had so many safety systems tied to it, your safety would be compromised. Flash forward to now and an actual keyed ignition gets comments pointing to how cheap Ford is and how outdated the physical key is these days. Just interesting to watch that argument turn around from my perspective.

Just built one, Lariat 4x4 with advanced towing and FX4. There aren't any other packages to add unless you want to delete sport appearance for chrome, ~$200.

$50,830 for what appears to be a fully loaded Lariat. I actually don't see any other options/packages to add to it besides one off interior safes etc. There is one color that is almost $1k more but every other color is free.

1711465200408.png
1711465333826.png
1711465372563.png

Well, I was talking the build I was looking to buy for both them and that comes to $52,855 for the Ranger. That would be as real world as it gets for me. So they were quite close.
Ranger:
1711468398889.png

Tacoma:
1711468514769.png

$53,255 TRD OR Premium with NO sway bar disconnect and no dealer markups or add-ons. ($1,230 for Sway Bar DC if added would be $54,485 starting to see more and more of these out there. If the only ones in your neck of the woods have steps or anything else added that price is over 55 easy)
Like I said, we just haven't seen any hitting $55k. No doubt it's gonna happen, and probably higher. My point being, that's not going to be the most common one. Pricing will get crazy when the Taco hybrids and the Ford V6 hit. Those will make the GMs look really good.

I do think Andre's is at the very lowest level of the spectrum but taking that into consideration, their line-up shows you can get a decent equipped mid-size for the mid-$40Ks. Obviously, some options will push it this way or that. And each one will appeal to somebody different for some reason, mostly looks/brand loyalty.

Yep, quite a list of differences. And they may not matter to many people but for some, a moon roof is a must have as is keyless start. I do believe GM offers damn near everything Toyota does. I do like the power rear window on the Taco though, but GM adds the HUD.

My big issue with Ford is that they allow the XLT to get a lot, but they stop at adding the heated steering wheel and keyless? I thought that odd. And you can't get the bigger screen in the dash? GM learned that mistake last year and fixed it, hopefully Ford will too.

Right now, I like the Canyon AT4 best. Seems to have the best combo of features and capabilities.

The ignition key vs push start reminds me of people demanding a key about 5 years ago. They pointed out the push start could fail and it had so many safety systems tied to it, your safety would be compromised. Flash forward to now and an actual keyed ignition gets comments pointing to how cheap Ford is and how outdated the physical key is these days. Just interesting to watch that argument turn around from my perspective.
I like the key so much more than a push button. Way easier to activate the accessories or renew the cycle before the timeout. My experience with push button left a pretty sour taste in my mouth, I had a lot of issues with it in my Nissan Armada.

Also, with all of the vehicles getting stolen because of key-less entry/push button start, nothing beats a good old fashion key.

Back