My 2024 Ford Ranger review posted to Consumer Guide Automotive

jillciminillo

Administrator
Staff member
When Tim and I both attend an event, like we did with the 2024 Ford Ranger, I often write it up for other publications while Tim writes our review for PUTT. I combined Ranger and Ranger Raptor into one story, so my review didn't appear until yesterday. So, if you're curious about what I thought ... Here's the link.

When Tim and I both attend an event, like we did with the 2024 Ford Ranger, I often write it up for other publications while Tim writes our review for PUTT. I combined Ranger and Ranger Raptor into one story, so my review didn't appear until yesterday. So, if you're curious about what I thought ... Here's the link.

I’ve been tempted by the idea of a Lariat with the 2.7, but that shifter in the Lariat sounds annoying as hell.

I’ve been tempted by the idea of a Lariat with the 2.7, but that shifter in the Lariat sounds annoying as hell.
Maybe it was a Jill problem, but a couple of us had issues, so 🤷🏻‍♀️. But surely an owner would get it eventually, right??? FWIW, I really liked the XLT. And I'm a huge fan of cloth seats in general.

The new Ranger is nice but there are a few misses in my opinion:
  • Styling - the front end lacks the in your face aggression the competitors offer.
  • No rear HVAC - come on Ford, really? $40k-$60k truck and no vents for the rear passengers.
  • Shifter - in Lariat and Raptor, WTF is that? What is the purpose? How is it better?
  • Moonroof - don’t care about this myself but there is a customer base that does.
  • 2.7 V6 - How is this not ready at launch? Are they all going to Bronco right now?
Minor complaints, yes. Overall it seems to be competitive in the segment. I had a 2019 Lariat FX4 with Sport Pkg and it was a solid truck and the 2024 seems light years ahead of it.

If I was a buyer, the XL 4x4 with tow pkg and rear locker seems like enough truck and comes in at under $40k. Maverick XL is the volume seller even though Ford wants it to be the XLT trim. There has to be a reason for that. The 2.7 V6 in XLT would be the reason to jump but it will cost $2,200 on top of the price jump in trim.

It will be interesting to see how he new Ranger stacks up against the Canyon, Colorado, Frontier, Gladiator, Ridgeline, and Tacoma in 2024 and beyond.

EDIT: The Raptor seems to be where it’s at here. It is king of the midsize off roaders. I can’t wait to see more content on that. It seems like the best deal of all of the Rangers at less than $60k. That is way less than F-150 Raptor and Bronco Raptor. Where will they slot in a Tremor trim? Lariat already exceeds $52k and Raptor at $57k. Seems like no room for a Tremor. Maybe it’s not needed anyway.

Last edited:
  • Styling - the front end lacks the in your face aggression the competitors offer.
  • No rear HVAC - come on Ford, really? $40k-$60k truck and no vents for the rear passengers.
  • Shifter - in Lariat and Raptor, WTF is that? What is the purpose? How is it better?
  • Moonroof - don’t care about this myself but there is a customer base that does.
  • 2.7 V6 - How is this not ready at launch? Are they all going to Bronco right now?
Minor complaints, yes. Overall it seems to be competitive in the segment. I had a 2019 Lariat FX4 with Sport Pkg and it was a solid truck and the 2024 seems light years ahead of it.

If I was a buyer, the XL 4x4 with tow pkg and rear locker seems like enough truck and comes in at under $40k. Maverick XL is the volume seller even though Ford wants it to be the XLT trim. There has to be a reason for that. The 2.7 V6 in XLT would be the reason to jump but it will cost $2,200 on top of the price jump in trim.

It will be interesting to see how he new Ranger stacks up against the Canyon, Colorado, Frontier, Gladiator, Ridgeline, and Tacoma in 2024 and beyond.
I agree with all of your points, this is silly I guess but when I purchased in 2021 I wasn't buying a truck without a moonroof. I had never had one and love the idea of fresh air, I use it a ton. Also, you nailed it with the styling. I also attach this to the F150 as the Ranger now looks more like a baby F150. Ford has been making their trucks looks softer, more SUV like to me in the front end especially and it's just not for me. The Toyota imo is too far the other way but if I had to pick based on looks alone, I'm taking the new Tacoma over the Ranger.

However, in saying all of that... the price point is right. That XLT at $46k is more truck than the similar Tacoma at $55k. I've been picking at Toyota for weeks but Tim nailed it in this weeks live video with Jill. The Toyota is just WAY to expensive for what you're getting. When you can get a Raptor for the price of a mid-equipped TRD-OR without the hybrid.... Toyota has a major problem on their hands.

People apologize for the 1,200lb payload on the Tacoma... but every Ranger non-Raptor is 1500lbs +. Great job by Ford.

EDIT: The Raptor seems to be where it’s at here. It is king of the midsize off roaders. I can’t wait to see more content on that. It seems like the best deal of all of the Rangers at less than $60k. That is way less than F-150 Raptor and Bronco Raptor. Where will they slot in a Tremor trim? Lariat already exceeds $52k and Raptor at $57k. Seems like no room for a Tremor. Maybe it’s not needed anyway.
I agree with you on all these things. I think it's weird that the 2.7L isn't available and they have no timeline for availability. But, good news, 2.3L is pretty darn good. With re. the air vents, I would have to go back and look to see if other midsize trucks have air vents. A lot of automakers cheap out here.

I agree with all of your points, this is silly I guess but when I purchased in 2021 I wasn't buying a truck without a moonroof. I had never had one and love the idea of fresh air, I use it a ton. Also, you nailed it with the styling. I also attach this to the F150 as the Ranger now looks more like a baby F150. Ford has been making their trucks looks softer, more SUV like to me in the front end especially and it's just not for me. The Toyota imo is too far the other way but if I had to pick based on looks alone, I'm taking the new Tacoma over the Ranger.

However, in saying all of that... the price point is right. That XLT at $46k is more truck than the similar Tacoma at $55k. I've been picking at Toyota for weeks but Tim nailed it in this weeks live video with Jill. The Toyota is just WAY to expensive for what you're getting. When you can get a Raptor for the price of a mid-equipped TRD-OR without the hybrid.... Toyota has a major problem on their hands.

People apologize for the 1,200lb payload on the Tacoma... but every Ranger non-Raptor is 1500lbs +. Great job by Ford.
I agree with everything except I don't know if anyone has apologized for the 1200 lbs payload in the Tacoma. I think we've said the opposite, it's barely adequate. Even the Raptor is 1300 lbs. I'm pretty confused as to the reason the heavier hybrids will apparently have better payload other than the fact they have larger brakes. It makes very little sense.

Along with the above on the Ford, I love that you can get the FX4 package and a rear locker in any of the trims. That's pretty great. On the big misses side, lockers should not be digital buttons. There are just some things that need their own physical button. We rented a Ford fairly recently on a trip and that vertical display is something I didn't like. CarPlay/Android Auto end up being pretty small in that display and turning on the heated seats and steering wheel were not always easy. And from what I can tell the Tacos with the 14 inch displays have a better camera resolution than the Ford, but that's just from the videos I have seen. @jillciminillo or @testerdahl they seemed adequate, but maybe not best in class?

The 2.7L is what really gets me, the truck was delayed for months and months and still no words on when exactly it will be available? What's the hold up? They want to finish building some broncos with the 2.7? It's just weird.

However, in saying all of that... the price point is right. That XLT at $46k is more truck than the similar Tacoma at $55k. I've been picking at Toyota for weeks but Tim nailed it in this weeks live video with Jill.
lol...come on now, I know you hate the Taco but we've yet to see a $55k Off-Road. If we do, that XLT is not gonna be close to the same. I think one like TFLs is closer to the XLT and wasn't that one $46K as well?

I still think Ford was very conservative. They held back so much with the Ranger making it more competition for the Frontier than the others. As stated, no moonroof, no ventilated seats, no HUD even offered. Good payload but in the shortest wheelbase. Longer would have been better for towing/hauling.

I agree with everything except I don't know if anyone has apologized for the 1200 lbs payload in the Tacoma. I think we've said the opposite, it's barely adequate. Even the Raptor is 1300 lbs. I'm pretty confused as to the reason the heavier hybrids will apparently have better payload other than the fact they have larger brakes. It makes very little sense.

Along with the above on the Ford, I love that you can get the FX4 package and a rear locker in any of the trims. That's pretty great. On the big misses side, lockers should not be digital buttons. There are just some things that need their own physical button. We rented a Ford fairly recently on a trip and that vertical display is something I didn't like. CarPlay/Android Auto end up being pretty small in that display and turning on the heated seats and steering wheel were not always easy. And from what I can tell the Tacos with the 14 inch displays have a better camera resolution than the Ford, but that's just from the videos I have seen. @jillciminillo or @testerdahl they seemed adequate, but maybe not best in class?
I didn't think the cameras weren't adequate. Not an amazing image, but nothing that really bugged me.

lol...come on now, I know you hate the Taco but we've yet to see a $55k Off-Road. If we do, that XLT is not gonna be close to the same. I think one like TFLs is closer to the XLT and wasn't that one $46K as well?

I still think Ford was very conservative. They held back so much with the Ranger making it more competition for the Frontier than the others. As stated, no moonroof, no ventilated seats, no HUD even offered. Good payload but in the shortest wheelbase. Longer would have been better for towing/hauling.

There out there, often. Problem as noted in a couple of different reviewers channels is that you're getting a 48 to 52,000 Tacoma but you're being left with no choice but to pay for some of the add-ons that the dealers are putting on them like steps and other various items that aren't negotiable like straight dealer markups. You can't custom order a Tacoma so you don't have any choice other than to buy what's sitting on a dealer's lot.

Maybe Ford dealerships will do the same but I feel like that's a pretty consistent Toyota thing.

Looking at packages that $46,000 XLT is significantly more truck than the TRD OR Tacoma in the high 40s to low 50s range. It used to be that the TRD off-road and sport were the upper echelon of Tacoma trims but they've since added the limited and then TRD Pro and now trail Hunter. So the TRD off-road that TFL got is damn near a base truck.

And I've been picking at Tacoma but I don't hate it by any means it all comes down to price and I think they significantly overshot the value of the truck. If a well equipped TRD off-road or sport was the same price as an XLT it's a different story but it's not and I don't believe it's close.

Looking at packages that $46,000 XLT is significantly more truck than the TRD OR Tacoma in the high 40s to low 50s range. It used to be that the TRD off-road and sport were the upper echelon of Tacoma trims but they've since added the limited and then TRD Pro and now trail Hunter. So the TRD off-road that TFL got is damn near a base truck.
Really? I think they are pretty even. A good example is TFL's big mid-size comparison. All those trucks were pretty close in price and equipment. The Honda had the most including leather and was the most expensive. Next the Ford and then down to the Chevy which had the least but was the cheapest. All told, I think they are all within $5k of each other? It really shows how the pricing is not that far off in the mid-size market and how there really is something for everyone. I would not buy some but that's based on what I want and need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjbC6M17kOk

Ahh, Turbos For Life, because now all their drag races occur here:

https://www.airnav.com/airport/CO55

So Frontier and Ridgeline...And the Dakota face this factor:

https://www.garrettmotion.com/news/...at-elevation-counteracting-lower-air-density/

Come under 1,000 feet (where over 50% of the US population lives) and the Dakota's old V8 eats the Ranger's lunch. Yes, TFL (in passing) does mention the height, but doesn't explain its correlation like the Garrett Chart does. A two minute primer on the topic before each drag race video would help inform the watcher, but hey, it's TFL, ENTERTAINMENT FIRST!

Really? I think they are pretty even. A good example is TFL's big mid-size comparison. All those trucks were pretty close in price and equipment. The Honda had the most including leather and was the most expensive. Next the Ford and then down to the Chevy which had the least but was the cheapest. All told, I think they are all within $5k of each other? It really shows how the pricing is not that far off in the mid-size market and how there really is something for everyone. I would not buy some but that's based on what I want and need.

I don't think they got into enough details to really chart out specs, options and tell the story. Andre did say that his Colorado is basically a work truck with an off-road package. They also gloss over a 5 to $6,000 price difference which is I think is a pretty big deal. Under 41 to over 46 is a big difference in my book in price. >10% more expensive is a jump. The series would be better suited with a Colorado or Canyon in the same price range as the Ranger, Tacoma, Frontier and Ridgeline.

The base MSRP of a GMC Canyon AT4 is $44,500. That's a much nicer truck than Andres and directly comparable.

I like it overall, but I think it would be cool if you got them together with one person per vehicle and everyone drove them on a set course. Hwy, city, trails and maybe towing. The everyone gave there thoughts and likes and dislikes of each while qualifying what type of buyer they would be. I'll bring my Taco if @All Terrain Nation brings the Raptor, you and Jill just need to get a GM each or a Frontier and compare the refreshed versions of each!

$53,255 TRD OR Premium with NO sway bar disconnect and no dealer markups or add-ons. ($1,230 for Sway Bar DC if added would be $54,485 starting to see more and more of these out there. If the only ones in your neck of the woods have steps or anything else added that price is over 55 easy)

Last edited:
Mine was $54,018 I had the black badges, spray on bedliner (which I'm fine with as it's got some decent grip) and mud flaps and that was it. No SDM, no markups or dealer extras. That's with the destination as well.

Back