Love/hate on third gen Tundra

Got used to the look but the price is outrageous. Even an SR5 is over $50k and they look "blah" or cheap looking vs a TRD Sport/OR. They look great with a slight lift and larger rubber though. As a 13th gen F150 xlt Ecoboost owner a full-size is my planned replacement but at the current prices I'm staying away or going to a mid grade midsize truck.

They look best lifted. I just wish the would have done some sort of on board power and didn’t have the tranny hump in rear seats. After seeing Tacoma pricing depending on Trim level and rebates Tundra might be the better bargain. I know, I know Tim most don’t cross shop, but I do.

They truck seems less usable space on the inside my biggest complaint. The overall room seems smaller especially the back seat in the double cab. The back bumper is useless for getting in and out of the bed. Gas mileage isn't any really better. The quality seemed to go down from generation 2.5.

I've been waiting to get into a Limited Tundra Trd-Off Road for over a year now. I really like the new Tundra. The interest rates right now are ridiculous and that is holding me back. Even tough some dealers are now selling them below msrp, but I really need the rates to drop as well before I make the purchase.
I do like that they took the chrome off of the Limited Trd-Off Road for the 24 model. They definitely listened to customers with that decison. I guess it's a good thing that I didn't purchase a previous year!

The Cheapness of the materials compared to the prices that we had to pay for the vehicle. I had to replace a window motor, Driver side seat trim, and I have several rattles I am now contending with. Tow hooks was another pet peeve of mine. Living in Idaho where we get tons of snow, tow hooks are a must. Other than those I have no other issues with the SR5 off-road that I purchased.

I thought I remember people having to create a user profile and login before being able to access the features in the truck. Is that true?

I thought I remember people having to create a user profile and login before being able to access the features in the truck. Is that true?
For the radio yes, you have to create a profile and login. Still the same way. Press loans come with a generic profile loaded in, so most reviewers don’t talk about that part of Toyota vehicles.

What do you love or hate about the third gen Tundra? I've covered it extensively and I have thoughts for sure. What are yours?
Back in May 2022 I put a deposit down on a 1794 Tundra. After 6 1/2 months and still no allocation I purchased a 2023 GMC SIERRA with the LZ0. The Toyota dealer didn’t want to refund my $500 deposit until I really pressed the issue. Two months after the deposit the Toyota dealer added a $2,000 dealer markup. Multiple Tundra Quality control issues came up during the 6 1/2 months of waiting for an allocation. Am I disappointed not getting a Tundra? Nope not in the slightest. Maybe their midsize truck will be better but time will tell.
What do you love or hate about the third gen Tundra? I've covered it extensively and I have thoughts for sure. What are yours?

They are outrageously expensive now and the build quality is less than the outgoing model. My local dealer has over a dozen now sitting around. I was in fact just there yesterday seeing about an air filter for my Corolla. They had a iforce max tundra for 68,900 right on the front steps. It looks to transformers for me. The rear bumper also is the opposite of useful. Looks like hell too

I've been the proud owner of a 2023 1794 TRD Off Road since May. I watched all of Tim's content on the Tundra and found the channel shortly before the third generation launch. I'm am a car and truck enthusiast and watch a lot of YouTube content.

The Tundra isn't perfect, but nothing is. I love driving it, the ride quality, the features, and the luxury feel.

The only issue so far is minor seat creaking that is a known issue. Not major, but I'll likely get it addressed in the spring.

It feels solid and hope it will treat me well for years to come. I got a great deal on the Toyota platinum extended warranty, 10 years and 120k miles. Too many electronics that I don't want to pay to repair long term.

I came from a 2011 Silverado 1500 LT extended cab with the long bed. The Tundra is a big change and I'm loving it.

From day one my thought was it looked cheap and flimsy without a small lift and larger tires. It reminded me of when the old heavy duty trucks were these mammoth chunks of metal that came with 30-in highway tires.

I drove a 09 Tacoma for 10 years and put 200k miles on it trouble free. I wanted the Tundra pretty bad until they released it and I went and looked at a few. Personally, I thought it looked like a truck designed for women.

Without lots of money in mods it just looks like a lot of plastic. It needs the mods to offset the gargantuan plastic looking front end.

This was my Tacoma, miss that truck.

1000019597.jpg

I owned at 2017 Tacoma and now a 2023 Tundra. Basically I feel like the community now is like tacoma was back then.

All of these things were rampant in the tacoma forums back then
- The old engine/trans was better, it wont last
-The quality is worse
-Too much new tech in the way

Fast forward and basically the same complaints with the tundra.

I loved both trucks and got around all their quirks.

I do feel though the 2nd Gen Tundra really appealed to a very specific owner that is not the same as a 3rd gen owner.

The 3rd gen isn't a big 3 killer, but kind of like the 3rd gen Tacoma, its really a good truck with a few tweaks could be a really GREAT truck and thats what brings out the passion about it.

If it just sucked people would trade them all in and not complain.

I owned at 2017 Tacoma and now a 2023 Tundra. Basically I feel like the community now is like tacoma was back then.

-The quality is worse

I do feel though the 2nd Gen Tundra really appealed to a very specific owner that is not the same as a 3rd gen owner.

The 3rd gen isn't a big 3 killer, but kind of like the 3rd gen Tacoma, its really a good truck with a few tweaks could be a really GREAT truck and thats what brings out the passion about it.

Who do you think the 2nd gen and 3rd gen appeal too?

I think the 2nd gen Tundra appealed to those that like simple reliability old school v8 six speed. You brought a 2nd gen Tundra because you wanted a 2nd gen Tunrda.

The 3rd gen appeals to those that want a Toyota truck that's bigger and more powerful than a Tacoma but not feel like they are in a 2010 truck.

72695213720__3CBFE902-11FE-4434-938C-1C4636BD3D70-3.jpg
Took this a couple of days ago. Many focus on the grille/ "mustache"surround, but how far the roof panel goes downing the front and how much it "bulges" up caught my eye, in a negative fashion. This particular truck pulled out and in side profile, the roof bulge still caught my eye. It reminded of one of those "New Life" white hearses! Now, I can't unsee it any time I observe a 3rd Gen Tundra, in any color.

-The quality is worse

Yup I think you nailed it.

The tundra is so close to being a great truck, but it's falling short because of things like no tow hooks, only one button to open the tailgate, no auto 4wd, weird approach and departure angle, you need a deployable step to get in the bed if the tailgate is open, weird seat bottom, all of the constant dings and alerts when off-roading, can't open the door without shutting off the truck when remote start.

These are not problems in other trucks and even the older tundra so it really feels like a miss from Toyota. At least they addressed some of those things with the 4th gen tacoma. Let's hope they bring it to the tundra when it's due for a refresh.

Be careful what you wish for with "4wd Auto". I have it in my Ram and yes, you can leave it engaged all winter "just in case". But what I did not know was that even when I put it in 4H lock or even 4L, it's not really locked into 4wd. The transfer case always uses the clutches and they will disengage if you turn the wheel hard right or left because they sense binding, or if they get hot. Also, they will not lock up until they sense spin so putting it into 4wd before you hit an obstacle like mud does not mean the front wheels are already engaged. The newer Rams have a better transfer case that works much better but they still use clutches. So, it depends specifically on what you need it to do.

Back