Love/hate on third gen Tundra

Be careful what you wish for with "4wd Auto". I have it in my Ram and yes, you can leave it engaged all winter "just in case". But what I did not know was that even when I put it in 4H lock or even 4L, it's not really locked into 4wd. The transfer case always uses the clutches and they will disengage if you turn the wheel hard right or left because they sense binding, or if they get hot. Also, they will not lock up until they sense spin so putting it into 4wd before you hit an obstacle like mud does not mean the front wheels are already engaged. The newer Rams have a better transfer case that works much better but they still use clutches. So, it depends specifically on what you need it to do.

On my 5th gen I believe the auto defaults to "fully engaged" at a stop. It disengages when there is no slip and you reach a certain speed. My theory is based on results I get when towing my RV in sand/wet grass in auto, there is never any slip whatsoever off the line, even at full turn/lock.

Auto is one of those features where it really depends on your use case. I will never take my truck off road, but having snow for 6 months of the year auto is a no brainer.

The true locking transfer case like in the Rebel is definitely stronger, but then you lose that convenience.

BTW I never leave auto on in the winter. It stays in 2wd unless I hit a rough patch and then it shifts on the fly at any speed into auto. I believe there is a MPG hit if you run around in auto.

Be careful what you wish for with "4wd Auto". I have it in my Ram and yes, you can leave it engaged all winter "just in case". But what I did not know was that even when I put it in 4H lock or even 4L, it's not really locked into 4wd. The transfer case always uses the clutches and they will disengage if you turn the wheel hard right or left because they sense binding, or if they get hot. Also, they will not lock up until they sense spin so putting it into 4wd before you hit an obstacle like mud does not mean the front wheels are already engaged. The newer Rams have a better transfer case that works much better but they still use clutches. So, it depends specifically on what you need it to do.
That older RAM transfer case was a joke, it also wouldn't work when turning the wheels, the clutch would disengage as you approached full lock on the steering wheel. (Edit as I see you hit on that)

On my 5th gen I believe the auto defaults to "fully engaged" at a stop. It disengages when there is no slip and you reach a certain speed. My theory is based on results I get when towing my RV in sand/wet grass in auto, there is never any slip whatsoever off the line, even at full turn/lock.

Auto is one of those features where it really depends on your use case. I will never take my truck off road, but having snow for 6 months of the year auto is a no brainer.

The true locking transfer case like in the Rebel is definitely stronger, but then you lose that convenience.

BTW I never leave auto on in the winter. It stays in 2wd unless I hit a rough patch and then it shifts on the fly at any speed into auto. I believe there is a MPG hit if you run around in auto.
Sorry, it's not like I engage it in Dec and leave it on until March. I leave it on whenever there is snow on the roads. I think of auto as the old locking hubs. I did the same with them, engage them in winter so I wouldn't have to get out. When disengaged, the front-end parts are not spinning so no drag, no mpg loss. Put in auto and the wheels rotation will spin the axles and diff. Unbelievably, I tested the mpg over two months, and it was insignificant so if they are still engaged after the roads dry, I don't sweat it.

And yep, your new BW transfer case is better than mine. In 4wd "lock", I can make a tight circle on dry pavement with no scuffing of the rear tires. That tells me the front end is getting no power. Plus, I've tested accelerating from a stop with the fronts on ice and they don't spin until the rears spin. I did all this because somebody told me my new truck didn't lock up and I thought I could prove them wrong. Shocked and kinda pissed me off. I'm used to old school 4wd.

Now in my mind, the best out there is the Toyota FT 4wd. Unfortunately, you have to buy a damn Limited Tacoma or 4Runner to get it.

That older RAM transfer case was a joke, it also wouldn't work when turning the wheels, the clutch would disengage as you approached full lock on the steering wheel. (Edit as I see you hit on that)
Which brings to mind, how do the other brands approach their "auto" modes?

The clutch in the older Borg Warner disengages only in auto mode. In 4x4 high/low it stays locked.

Which brings to mind, how do the other brands approach their "auto" modes?
That's a good question, after watching Getty's video on his I tested my AT4 with auto and couldn't notice any of those issues. I was testing in the snow with my son watching the front and it seems to always stay engaged in Auto and 4Hi Full lock etc. I have heard of all of the 4WD Auto vehicles disengaging if they get to hot but I've never seen it on my personal rig, if it's working that much I'm going to 4Hi or more likely 4Lo.

I'm usually only using Auto on roads with mixed snow/ice cover of when needing to turn onto a highway with busy traffic in the rain. I do one of those turns several days a week heading into the office and I don't have to worry about the 6.2 spinning the rear at all.

I was pretty positive I had seen several videos of it regularly disengaging even in 4HI

I'd have to see them. My brother tested this a while ago on his truck and he said it stays "locked".

In any case, this is why Ram offers you a true 4x4 system as well. If you don't need auto, then the other BorgWarner locks you physically into high/low with no clutches, no heat, and no unlocking.

Different manufacturers do things differently here, I'll take even the older BorgWarner auto over GM's system which doesn't offer 4 low in many of the 2019+ "4x4" trucks

I'd have to see them. My brother tested this a while ago on his truck and he said it stays "locked".

In any case, this is why Ram offers you a true 4x4 system as well. If you don't need auto, then the other BorgWarner locks you physically into high/low with no clutches, no heat, and no unlocking.

Different manufacturers do things differently here, I'll take even the older BorgWarner auto over GM's system which doesn't offer 4 low in many of the 2019+ "4x4" trucks
I swear I get a message every year from someone who is shocked to discover their 4x4 Chevy doesn't have 4 LO.

I swear I get a message every year from someone who is shocked to discover their 4x4 Chevy doesn't have 4 LO.
All the Z71 and X31 trucks has 4LO, all trail boss and at4 and all GM's with the 6.2 have it. The 5.3 with max tow I beleive is the only one that you can't get 4LO with.

All the Z71 and X31 trucks has 4LO, all trail boss and at4 and all GM's with the 6.2 have it. The 5.3 with max tow I beleive is the only one that you can't get 4LO with.
It is mostly if you have an off-road truck, you get a two-speed transfer case. If you go with a max tow package, you get a single speed transfer case. GM tells me it is due to different customers and their needs.

I asked what about the guy pulling his snowmobiles into the mountains on snowy roads. What if that guy gets stuck a little and needs 4 LO? Crickets was the response.

None of the volume/base trims have it, certainly not any truck with the 2.7.

None of the volume/base trims have it, certainly not any truck with the 2.7.
You can get it with the 2.7 by getting the x31 package on GMC, $1,000 package. SL, Elevation or SLT. For Chevy you can get it on every trim except WT and Custom.

So, that includes all of the Volume trims including the 2.7.

Last edited:
You can get it with the 2.7 by getting the x31 package on GMC, $1,000 package. SL, Elevation or SLT. For Chevy you can get it on every trim except WT and Custom.

So, that includes all of the Volume trims including the 2.7.

I don't believe that is correct. When you add the X31 you need to change engine to the 5.3 or diesel etc. It's been about 2 years since I last played with the build and price pages, but I'm quite certain that not a single 2.7 comes with 4 low. And many of the cheaper 5.3's don't either unless you add the x31 or z71 packages.

I don't believe that is correct. When you add the X31 you need to change engine to the 5.3 or diesel etc. It's been about 2 years since I last played with the build and price pages, but I'm quite certain that not a single 2.7 comes with 4 low. And many of the cheaper 5.3's don't either unless you add the x31 or z71 packages.
You could be right, I chose the 2.7 and added x31 it could have swapped the engine on me.

The clutch in the older Borg Warner disengages only in auto mode. In 4x4 high/low it stays locked.
Technically, yes, the clutch stays engaged but the driveshafts are still separated by the ball/ramp mechanism. In 4wd lock, it's ready but not fully locked until there is TQ differentiation. Granted, that can be a small spin of the rear tires, but the separation is there. It is much worse in reverse. That's where people find the problem the most, on boat ramps. Traditional 4wd systems are mechanically locked to each other as soon as you engage the lever and the dogs aligned.

i have a 2015 XP SR5 and love it so much i dont want to let it go. i drove the 2024 platiinum 4x4 and i was so sad. the truck had the Iforcemax and was very fast. i found it took a second to kick in and go and i didnt like that. the thing i hated the most was the ride. it didnt feel any different than my 2015. so why would i pay 70K plus for the same ride? i think that is the reason i have knocked it off my top list of trucks. thats sad cause i love my 2015. so now its the Ram limited or the GMC AR4

i have a 2015 XP SR5 and love it so much i dont want to let it go. i drove the 2024 platiinum 4x4 and i was so sad. the truck had the Iforcemax and was very fast. i found it took a second to kick in and go and i didnt like that. the thing i hated the most was the ride. it didnt feel any different than my 2015. so why would i pay 70K plus for the same ride? i think that is the reason i have knocked it off my top list of trucks. thats sad cause i love my 2015. so now its the Ram limited or the GMC AR4

Well if you value ride, interior comfort and luxury, the Ram is currently at the top IMHO. If you want a new v8 though you'll probably have to go GMC unless you act fast.

If price matters, you can score a Ram reeeeaaal cheap right now. If it doesn't, sit back and wait to hear what Tim says about the new version. Sounds good, wait for them to arrive and go that way. Gotta be cautious of first year jitters but at least that motor has been out for some time. The GMC is pretty solid choice and damn fine looking. Definitely not stepping down going in that direction either.

Back