Interview with Valvoline

testerdahl

Administrator
Staff member
I'm doing an interview on Tuesday with someone from Valvoline. What questions would you ask them?

Meeting not confirmed, but I think it will happen.

I'm doing an interview on Tuesday with someone from Valvoline. What questions would you ask them?

Meeting not confirmed, but I think it will happen.
I would ask him what is the relationship between oil viscosity and bearing clearances. As you well know the engine development team recommend a specific weight oil, however, a lot of folks seem to think it necessary to run a heavier weight oil. Does a heavier weight oil than recommended eventually lead to engine problems especially in colder climates? How long does the oil additive package last? And finally what are his recommendations about extended oil change intervals? Great interview topic! 👍

I would ask him what is the relationship between oil viscosity and bearing clearances. As you well know the engine development team recommend a specific weight oil, however, a lot of folks seem to think it necessary to run a heavier weight oil. Does a heavier weight oil than recommended eventually lead to engine problems especially in colder climates? How long does the oil additive package last? And finally what are his recommendations about extended oil change intervals? Great interview topic! 👍
That’s exactly where my head is at as well.

I just put some oil in my Tundra that I bought about 18 months ago. I picked up enough for 2 oil changes back then because it was on sale. Is there anything wrong with oil sitting on a shelf for a long time that causes it to degrade? I don’t think it really matters or I would not have used it. However, it would be nice to hear their response.

This. It seems the biggest topic out there about oil lately. Weight and OCI. Everyone second-guessing auto engineers and their recommendations. With the main thought that they are trying to shorten the life on engines purposely. Obviously it is about mpg, but will engine life really be affected? And who could possibly prove it one way or the other?

Valvoline just came out with an oil line called restore and protect. It’s not dexos rated. at least the 0w20 isn’t. Are they working on getting that weight dexos rated? And can you ask him if they can redesign their 5 qt jug to have a grab handle on top? I use valvoline in my vehicles and the 5 qt jug is not user friendly because of that.

I'd like to know if the detergents in the formulas clean so well that other cleaners such as Marvel's Mystery oil aren't needed at the 100,000 mile mark.

That was a great interview! Thanks for doing it. I would've never thought that part of the reason for lower "starting" viscosity numbers was influenced by the manufacturers trying to meet cafe standards, or that the Restore and Protect blends dealt with carbon buildup in the cylinder block.

Thank you again! I love these deep dives.

You know what's funny to me about this interview. The comments are full of everyone sharing their own personal oil change intervals and then arguing with each other over them. I asked three of my golf buddies when they change their oil and I got three different answers. Nobody has the same answer. LOL

You know what's funny to me about this interview. The comments are full of everyone sharing their own personal oil change intervals and then arguing with each other over them. I asked three of my golf buddies when they change their oil and I got three different answers. Nobody has the same answer. LOL
Certainly the oil type, oil change interval, and oil filter manufacturer are all hot button topics. It never fails that these three topics bring the “experts” out of the woodwork.

I just don't think about it that much. I do it more when it's convenient for me. I don't write it all down or anything like that either. Just kinda wing it. 7K this time, 4k next time, etc.

I just don't think about it that much. I do it more when it's convenient for me. I don't write it all down or anything like that either. Just kinda wing it. 7K this time, 4k next time, etc.
I've become a bit OCD about oil changes with regard to mileage. I try to hit 5K. I don't worry so much about the timeframe though. I also like sending the samples to Blackstone labs every time. Last time I was in a hurry and forgot to take the sample. That really annoyed me, but saved me a few bucks on the sample.

I've become a bit OCD about oil changes with regard to mileage. I try to hit 5K. I don't worry so much about the timeframe though. I also like sending the samples to Blackstone labs every time. Last time I was in a hurry and forgot to take the sample. That really annoyed me, but saved me a few bucks on the sample.
Whenever I purchase a new vehicle (like every 20 years) I do a very early oil change then go by the 6 months or 5,000 miles intervals. This usually satisfies the rough service schedule as well. Never had any engine issues over 50 years.

Whenever I purchase a new vehicle (like every 20 years) I do a very early oil change then go by the 6 months or 5,000 miles intervals. This usually satisfies the rough service schedule as well. Never had any engine issues over 50 years.
Yep,same here. I set baseline with this one when new with Blackstone and just make sure I never hit the upper limit of the oil I use based on their recommendation. Change it earlier after all my towing in the fall then again during summer some time. Send a sample in every 3-4 changes to track engine wear and life is good! As much as I hate to admit it, my time in California was probably the best for the engines. Long commutes on good roads so the engine always got to a good temp in mild weather. Probably why there are so many older vehicles out there still truckin' along.

Back