Car companies spying on owners

In glancing through the Privacy Statement by just downloading the app you give them permission to collect and use data including 3rd party services working with GM.

One question I have on this video. Has anyone shown that that they have sold personal info? I mean like your name, address, etc. and driving habits? I find that one a stretch without specific consent above and beyond what you consented to for use of the system. General info like 40% of GMC owners are hard on brakes, I get. But not Tim Esterdahl is hard on brakes. That's what I want to know, did they cross that line? Even Steve's video was vague on that.
Zane Merva, from GM-trucks.com, just messaged me and said he requested his information from Lexis Nexis. When he gets it, that will be interesting.

Im well aware of this and know how to stop data from reaching its intended destination, its not that hard but it can be a long process that gets tedious, you have to get familiar with firewalls dealing with incoming and outgoing data, they are available, its just how serious are you in stopping this, my intentions is running all data coming in and out through my home setup, it may seem elaborate and too the extreme, trust me its not, automotive spying is just getting ramped up and going to get worse, there are people who just don't care and go with the flow, thats their problem especially when they get denied for warranty work because of data received by the OEM, they all do it. Im on top of this and trying to engineer solutions for myself, I don't have the new GM truck yet but I have a good idea on whats going on, when I get the truck, I'll figure it out, but remember whether dealing with the OEM's or the cops, always remain silent. Forget the EULA, there are still laws that protect you, but perhaps not for long if politicians remain brainless.

One question I have on this video. Has anyone shown that that they have sold personal info? I mean like your name, address, etc. and driving habits? I find that one a stretch without specific consent above and beyond what you consented to for use of the system. General info like 40% of GMC owners are hard on brakes, I get. But not Tim Esterdahl is hard on brakes. That's what I want to know, did they cross that line? Even Steve's video was vague on that.
My understanding is that GMC is allegedly selling the data to LexisNexis. Insurance companies buy data from LexisNexis. I've filled a request to get my personal data report from LexisNexis. I'd like to see for myself which data they have and how it's presented. Not sure if the report will show who they’ve shared it with.

My understanding is that GMC is allegedly selling the data to LexisNexis. Insurance companies buy data from LexisNexis. I've filled a request to get my personal data report from LexisNexis. I'd like to see for myself which data they have and how it's presented. Not sure if the report will show who they’ve shared it with.
Let us know what the out come is, its interesting to see how they word their response. Im currently looking for GM electrical and electronic manuals from 2019 onwards, if anybody knows of a site that has them, please let me know, also any other OEM would be fine also, I want to see what and how the others are doing things, Im trying to track down where GM has plopped down the telemetric control unit (TCU) in a Sierra, and most likely the same in a Silverado, TCU may also be under different names, this will lead me to the modem and I can find out frequencies used, these things are separate from the infotainment system, even though the TCU can display info on the screen, it doesn't need the infotainment system to run, so sticking a screwdriver through the infotainment screen isn't going to work.

In glancing through the Privacy Statement by just downloading the app you give them permission to collect and use data including 3rd party services working with GM.
Toyota mentions that they need additional release from the owner to give out personal data. They mention their "affiliates" which one would presume the company providing the services as Toyota contracts that out but it's not clear, like any Privacy Notice. I guess that is one benefit of living in California, they have some of the toughest laws on privacy....lol

I'm probably the outlier here on this but I don't care. I don't understand why other people care.

I own a laptop, smartphone, smartwatch, smart tv, I use multiple streaming services, home security, debit cards, credit cards, have a couple social media account.. all of these things "spy" on us constantly and report data out. That's not including all of the public information about the house I own, land, taxes etc.
I understand where you come from. We have all grown used to our searches being followed, after which we receive suggestions on the same topic. One question about GM gathering information on their customers is: are they sharing driving habits with the insurance companies of those customers?

I understand where you come from. We have all grown used to our searches being followed, after which we receive suggestions on the same topic. One question about GM gathering information on their customers is: are they sharing driving habits with the insurance companies of those customers?

The real question is are they sharing driving data, which I would bet the big 3 do...GM just got caught first, or personal identifier driving data.

The real question is are they sharing driving data, which I would bet the big 3 do...GM just got caught first, or personal identifier driving data.
Check this site out from Mozilla called Privacy Not Included. Apparently, they've already gathered all the info on every brand concerning privacy and data. They say all of them suck but some are better than others. They do go into detail about what they collect. The best part is that they provide links for many brands so you can opt out from them selling data. For example, here is GM's: https://www.gm.com/consumer-privacy

Here's the video. Also interesting is my friends at GM-trucks.com opted OUT of the Onstar Smart Driver program only to learn they had been automatically opted IN. That's not ok.

Thanks for the video, especially the GM message shown on screen that it has to be a 2015 or newer GM vehicle. GMT 900 for the privacy win! Not that I have used OnStar recently (2003 when my Olds Bravada's trial offer ended).

I called OnStar this morning and spoke with a Smart Driver rep to see if I could get any clarification on how hard braking is measured. Unsurprisingly they have no idea. I was told it probably means your to aggressive with your braking. I said I understood that but how is they app measuring too aggressive. Again they have no idea.

They did suggest reviewing the Smart Driver FAQ. While the FAQ doesn't cover how any of the parameters are measured it did have this to say about the sharing of information. Looks like they are sharing our data with Verisk as well as Alexis Nexis

IMG_0666.png

Last edited:
I called OnStar this morning and spoke with a Smart Driver rep to see if I could get any clarification on how hard braking is measured. Unsurprisingly they have no idea. I was told it probably means your to aggressive with your braking. I said I understood that but how is they app measuring too aggressive. Again they have no idea.

They did suggest reviewing the Smart Driver FAQ. While the FAQ doesn't cover how any of the parameters are measured it did have this to say about the sharing of information. Looks like they are sharing our data with Verisk as well as Alexis Nexis

View attachment 300
Thanks. That's interesting that it specifically states information won't be shared with insurance companies.

My guess is they're providing the information to those two companies who then also partner with insurance companies and when you're seeking insurance you're agreeing to something that allows them to connect the dots.

I managed a fleet for a while, a hard brake event is simply a specified reduction of speed (x) over a specified amount of time, y . It's usually a customizable setting and treated differently by whoever is looking at the data. I'll tell you from most of the fleet people I've engaged with it's anything more than a normal gradual stop.

It's the most important aspect to get an idea of distracted driving across your drivers.

I did find this blog post which claims that

To Progressive, a hard brake is defined as any condition where the vehicle decelerates faster than 7 MPH per second.
I have a "Safe Driving" app from my USAA insurance company that determines harsh braking as braking faster than 8.25mph. Their app tracks harsh braking, phone handling, hands-free calling, and hand-held calling.

You know something even stranger when poking around the internet about privacy is the story about DMVs selling our info. One report stated Florida makes $17 million dollars a year selling names and addresses from FL drivers.

You know something even stranger when poking around the internet about privacy is the story about DMVs selling our info. One report stated Florida makes $17 million dollars a year selling names and addresses from FL drivers.

That's why I have such a hard time caring it's everywhere by everybody.

Back