Article from WSJ on Jeep & RAM... trouble?

Tim, Jill,

I watched your podcast where you were talking about Stellantis, and I've been a Jeep owner since 2014. I bought one Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk V6 2014 and updated it with a 2019 Trailhawk V6 Elite which I'm still driving for the last 6 years.

Since my wife and I work from home, we only need one vehicle, and that vehicle needs to perform everything we need. It needs to be fuel efficient (as fuel, where I am, is around $6.5 per US gallon), and be capable of easily towing up to 3000 pounds for winter toys and occasionally a camping trailer.

In 2014 and 2019, choices were very limited. 2 choices, Ford Edge (which I am not a fan of) or Jeep Cherokee. In that category, nothing much can tow more than two full trash cans, and they are supposed to be utilitarian, but aren’t other than being high on wheels and truck space. The Cherokee with 4500 pounds towing capacity was the best option and it performs perfectly for me and is good on fuel.

You won’t believe how many you see pulling all sizes of trailers in my province.

Now, what are the choices with Stellantis, RAM truck? Jeep Grand Cherokee? Wrangler? too big, too expensive, too much fuel. Compass? Too small and has no towing capacity. The Jeep dealer calls me occasionally and I always tell them the same thing, you have nothing for me other than a leftover same old Cherokee. Sorry, I love small vehicles and don’t like big ones.

This is not only with Stellantis, but with all manufacturers, they push you in a pickup truck or a bigger SUV which I DO NOT NEED just because I need some towing capacity, but Stellantis has not many other good value products to offer compared to competition.

I do not want to put 70k-80k or more in the driveway which will be used only 10000 miles a year. Just a Colorado with similar equipment as my Jeep will cost me 60k+tx, so over 70k (not the highest trim). Electric is out of my price range for my needs and way too big (even my friends who are pro-electric agree with me).

The industry has a big reflection to do, but they DO NOT CARE! as I am not part of the mass consumers!
Thanks for the thoughts and LOL at towing two full trash cans. It seems like you are part of a growing group of consumers who feel they are being left behind by automakers.

Back