All new trucks are junk these days?

testerdahl

Administrator
Staff member
I keep seeing comments like this come up whenever I post any recall story. It is almost getting to the point where I can literally count on it in the first 5 comments. Personally, I think he is wrong and, just to be clear, I don't take money.

IMO - the problem isn't that new trucks and SUVs are junk. It is more you hear about recalls and problems a LOT more often these days thanks to the internet. Also, NHTSA requires more recalls than they did in the past due to safety issues.

I also have owned several old trucks and I just don't see them as being more reliable, having better build quality and being superior to new trucks.

What do you think? How do you see it?

Screenshot 2024-09-13 at 12.27.42 PM.png

I think a lot of these junk complaints go away if they weren't gouging consumers on price every which way possible. The auto indsutry is ripe for another (mild) collapse. They're building vehicles nobody wants, EV, and raising the prices of the vehicles people do want, trucks and SUV's, to make up their losses.

It is going to catch up to them, it already is.

I keep seeing comments like this come up whenever I post any recall story. It is almost getting to the point where I can literally count on it in the first 5 comments. Personally, I think he is wrong and, just to be clear, I don't take money.

IMO - the problem isn't that new trucks and SUVs are junk. It is more you hear about recalls and problems a LOT more often these days thanks to the internet. Also, NHTSA requires more recalls than they did in the past due to safety issues.

I also have owned several old trucks and I just don't see them as being more reliable, having better build quality and being superior to new trucks.

View attachment 642
I see this nonsense all the time. Is my 2023 GMC SIERRA 1500 better than my 1986 F250 and my 2003 SILVERADO 2500 HD? Yes, hands down is more comfortable, quieter, way more fuel efficient, safer and trouble free for almost 2 years. It puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Would I have preferred it to be less expensive? Of course, but it’s payed for, so lets roll.

I think a lot of these junk complaints go away if they weren't gouging consumers on price every which way possible. The auto indsutry is ripe for another (mild) collapse. They're building vehicles nobody wants, EV, and raising the prices of the vehicles people do want, trucks and SUV's, to make up their losses.

It is going to catch up to them, it already is.
I think you’ll see dealerships wanting to make some deals especially RAM right now.

The junk aspect wouldn't be a problem if they weren't charging diamond prices, these price increases should have been towards increased quality, an anecdotal instance was the guy at work bought a new Silverado 3500hd duramax and its already had to have the exhaust system replaced.

Calling everything junk is just a bit ridiculous. How does one even define junk? If he offered a halfway decent comparison, sure, maybe he could make an argument. I see more stories about how much better vehicles are all around today vice years ago. How we can put that many more miles on them, how much safer they are, how much more comfortable they are, and how much more performance we get out of them. Seems like the exact same story we heard 5 years ago, 10 years ago, etc.

My personal take is that average reliability for cars and trucks across all brands is much higher than it used to be. It’s notable that there are far fewer defects than there used to be while incorporating the EPA efficiency and US Govt safety mandates and consumer technology expectations. It’s really the latter of the three that are the cause of most consumer complaints. I‘ve experienced many systems across manufacturers and only a couple stand out as usable. Most are bloated because manufacturers thought they could save a dime on a button and made the airbox control 4 clicks deep in a screen.

Still, agree with others who’ve said modern vehicles are generally more comfortable, quieter, capable, and efficient than they were 25 years ago.

Last edited:
My personal take is that average reliability for cars and trucks across all brands is much higher than it used to be. It’s notable that there are far fewer defects than there used to be while incorporating the EPA efficiency and US Govt mandates and consumer technology expectations. It’s really the latter of the three that are the cause of most consumer complaints. I‘ve experienced many systems across manufacturers and only a couple stand out as usable. Most are bloated because manufacturers thought they could save a dime on a button and made the airbox control 4 clicks deep in a screen.

Still, agree with others who’ve said modern vehicles are generally more comfortable, quieter, capable, and efficient than they were 25 years ago.
That’s a well reasoned response. Would you like to reply to ALL the YouTube comments?? 😆

People made a lot of good points above, and yes I think it comes down to price.
When you're asking 80k for a work HD truck, 100K for a mid tier truck and 125K+ for premium, expectations change. When a base HD was 30k, it doesn't really matter that some things happen, when it's 80k, I expect everything to be perfect and stay that way at least 5 years.

Not all new pickups are junk! For me, my new Chevrolet Silverado is like a dream! True, they have problems, but that’s natural for new models. I guess if you wait a year or two most bugs will be corrected. Do not allow yourself to be spooked by the haters who always tend to complain about everything. If you like the classic look of a pickup truck, just don’t buy the most non expensive ones and pick a reliable manufacturer. Then you will be pleased with the purchase.

My uncle purchased the least expensive version of the Ford Maverick and already faced some issues. Complaints cannot be avoided, I do not blame people. But when you buy a Tundra, Tacoma or Silverado, you should expect to have a good service out of that pickup for years. Well, there is always the risk of buying a lemon of a vehicle, but that’s more like a lottery. In short, the new pickups are indeed awesome but just make an intelligent decision!

Some parts of the vehicles are better than they have ever been. 10 years ago non-turbo v6's passed the V8 power and torque threshold of the 1990's, not to mention efficiency. Most people reading this don't remember the days of having to pump a gas pedal before starting a vehicle; or it being harder to start a vehicle in the winter versus the summer. The 2.7 in my '21 F150 is amazing. I have 72k on it and have averaged 21 mpg (hand calculated) over the life of the vehicle. My '99 4wd Frontier had 200 hp and got 18. My '08 2wd Tundra with the 4.7 got 18.

I know this is about reliability. My truck is in the shop right now for the first unscheduled maintenance since I bought it. The "APIM" - the computer that supports the infotainment system for Car Play/Android Auto went out. Also, after I had the factory trailer brake controller installed my trip odometer would occasionally reset. For both problems, I waited for them to become undeniably obvious before I took it in.

Until 2018, I drove mostly Japanese and German vehicles. I really liked the F150 when I drove it, but didn't trust the reliability so I went online to Ziegler Ford and paid $1855 for an 8 year 100,000 mile Ford factory warranty (platinum or whatever) that covers everything. My dealer wanted $3300 for the same warranty with the same coverage and wouldn't negotiate. I figured if the electronics crapped out, the warranty would pay for itself. Fortunately or unfortunately I was right.

It seems to me that trucks are more drivable, quieter, more powerful, more efficient, more capable and lower maintenance than any other time in my life ... and ... as has been already said ... the first year of a new technology is risky. The 2nd gen of everything is more reliable. I don't think they are junk. The privacy practices with the tracking software is questionable at best, unethical at worst, but the rest of the truck is better than ever.

Back