A fond farewell to the forum

After three enriching months, it's time for me to bid farewell to the Pickup Truck Talk forum community. Engaging with fellow truck enthusiasts has been a rewarding experience, however as priorities shift and new interests beckon, I must embark on a new journey. I'm grateful for the camaraderie and knowledge shared during my time here and the memories and insight will stay with me as I continue my adventures elsewhere. Thank you to everyone for making this community a welcoming and informative space!

Last edited:
I have a feeling I've missed a critical piece of forum drama but no need to leave. Stick around, I don't respond much either but usually something interesting being shared here and there.

I don't think you missed any real drama. I was going to just let this die but I see it's in the welcome forum which is too bad for Tim and the site. These are the only three direct exchanges we had. I had to look back through it all because I couldn't remember anything odd until last night. He edited his last post after I responded. I took that 10 year truck thread thing to be a dream truck for the next 10 years... those two are my dream trucks.

I guess he doesn't like me because I'm a GMC guy? Who knows... who cares.

1)
1712765469309.png

2)
1712765528926.png
3)
1712765585399.png

Almost fired back on “AT4X rides like a dump truck” but thought better just leave it alone. My understanding was that DSSV on road performance was actually pretty plush.

Huh. That's an interesting development I wasn't prepared for to be honest.

If you don't feel welcome, man let me know!!

Huh. That's an interesting development I wasn't prepared for to be honest.

If you don't feel welcome, man let me know!!
Unlike a specific brand forum, you will have a large number of disagreements in a "general" truck forum. Hard not to. We are all stubborn people who have opinions on certain trucks/features/colors and feel we are right about it so we must convince the world to think the same. At the end of the day, we just need to remember not to make it or take it personally. Agree to disagree and move on with the conversation. Unless of course you like blue trucks....that's just weird. :cool:

Unlike a specific brand forum, you will have a large number of disagreements in a "general" truck forum. Hard not to. We are all stubborn people who have opinions on certain trucks/features/colors and feel we are right about it so we must convince the world to think the same. At the end of the day, we just need to remember not to make it or take it personally. Agree to disagree and move on with the conversation. Unless of course you like blue trucks....that's just weird. :cool:
I've tried to convey that this is a two way street too. We all have our opinions, but sometimes what you mention above about trying to convince others your opinion is the right one is the issue. If you get to the point of agreeing to disagree, you've missed the fact that each of us has our own experiences that we base our opinions on and if we remember that when we post, we might not have to get to the agree to disagree stage. In many cases both people can be right if what we're talking about is a subjective thing. So anyway, I try hard to remember that when I post, but I don't always succeed either.

If you get to the point of agreeing to disagree, you've missed the fact that each of us has our own experiences that we base our opinions on and if we remember that when we post, we might not have to get to the agree to disagree stage. In many cases both people can be right if what we're talking about is a subjective thing. So anyway, I try hard to remember that when I post, but I don't always succeed either.
If I didn't get across right, what you said is what I meant. We all have opinions based on our own experiences and backgrounds, and we just state them and why we think that for the discussion. I never really think anyone will suddenly go, "Oh yeah, you are right, blue is the best color!". That's what I have always thought when using the term "agree to disagree". We respect each other's opinion regardless of whether we see it the same way.

It did come across, I just want, at least for myself, not to have to say don't take it personally to someone. I don't control how the other person feels and I don't know why they might feel a certain way. That's hard on a forum, but one person here asked if my feelings were hurt after they posted a comment and that tells me they were trying to get a reaction rather than have a conversation and I just don't know why we want to cause more strife in the world when there's plenty of that already, but I guess it's human nature to some degree.

It's tough because some people are die hard fans of a specific brand and have been their whole life. Hell, they were going to be a fan of Ford or GM before they were born because they're dad owned one and it's the greatest truck made. It would be similar if we started a general fan football forum... you can imagine how that would go.

I remember Roman saying in a video once that they know a lot of people watch their content to get confirmation that their truck is the best truck. When it isn't, they (TFL) hear about the mistakes they made or how their test was bias from owners of said trucks. I remember him saying that and it stuck with me.

The other issues with a forum like this is that there are a lot of objective opinions on some things that are subjective and vice-versa. It doesn't help that the vast majority of YouTube reviews are of a subjective nature. Hell, look at TFL's IKE video... it's entirely subjective with the exception of accelleration times, fuel consumption etc. Brake applications down hill? It's very possible some of those trucks are programmed to use the brakes a little more coming down a steep grade. My grandfather was a military mechanic and then retired to a public shop where he worked on vehicles for 30 years. His advice on this topic was always pretty simple... what's cheaper to replace, transmissions or brakes? Use your brakes. (Obviously a little outdated but you get the point)

I know I've hammered the Tacoma, I still think it's a great truck... I just think it's now overpriced and not by a little. For 10-15 years they have made hands-down (subjectively) the best mid-size truck in the market. Capability, reliability etc. Now, however, that's not clear but Toyota is still asking you to pay for it as if it is. I think it will sell, and still lead the category partly because of the aforementioned bias involved in trucks, not because it's clearly the best anymore.

Anywho, I could go on and on and on. I appreciate the differing opinions in here. My bias is probably going to lead me to shine a light on GMC (not necessarily Chevy), suspect RAM long-term reliability, questions Toyota's value and challenge Fords build quality. However, as I've said time and time again... I don't really think you can go wrong with any of the trucks in the full size or mid size segment. Find what works for you, they're all pretty damn great... and overpriced.

It's tough because some people are die hard fans of a specific brand and have been their whole life. Hell, they were going to be a fan of Ford or GM before they were born because they're dad owned one and it's the greatest truck made. It would be similar if we started a general fan football forum... you can imagine how that would go.

I remember Roman saying in a video once that they know a lot of people watch their content to get confirmation that their truck is the best truck. When it isn't, they (TFL) hear about the mistakes they made or how their test was bias from owners of said trucks. I remember him saying that and it stuck with me.

The other issues with a forum like this is that there are a lot of objective opinions on some things that are subjective and vice-versa. It doesn't help that the vast majority of YouTube reviews are of a subjective nature. Hell, look at TFL's IKE video... it's entirely subjective with the exception of accelleration times, fuel consumption etc. Brake applications down hill? It's very possible some of those trucks are programmed to use the brakes a little more coming down a steep grade. My grandfather was a military mechanic and then retired to a public shop where he worked on vehicles for 30 years. His advice on this topic was always pretty simple... what's cheaper to replace, transmissions or brakes? Use your brakes. (Obviously a little outdated but you get the point)

I know I've hammered the Tacoma, I still think it's a great truck... I just think it's now overpriced and not by a little. For 10-15 years they have made hands-down (subjectively) the best mid-size truck in the market. Capability, reliability etc. Now, however, that's not clear but Toyota is still asking you to pay for it as if it is. I think it will sell, and still lead the category partly because of the aforementioned bias involved in trucks, not because it's clearly the best anymore.

Anywho, I could go on and on and on. I appreciate the differing opinions in here. My bias is probably going to lead me to shine a light on GMC (not necessarily Chevy), suspect RAM long-term reliability, questions Toyota's value and challenge Fords build quality. However, as I've said time and time again... I don't really think you can go wrong with any of the trucks in the full size or mid size segment. Find what works for you, they're all pretty damn great... and overpriced.
I’m just curious, could you elaborate on the distinction you made between favoring GMC trucks, but not necessarily Chevy? Is it a stylistic or features preference or are you seeing a differnce in other areas, too, like reliability, dealer service support, or other areas?

I’m just curious, could you elaborate on the distinction you made between favoring GMC trucks, but not necessarily Chevy? Is it a stylistic or features preference or are you seeing a differnce in other areas, too, like reliability, dealer service support, or other areas?

Purely style and features offered, model lineup etc. My truck is actually serviced by a local Chevy dealership and they've been fantastic. The closest GMC dealership, where I bought, is an hour away.

Purely style and features offered, model lineup etc. My truck is actually serviced by a local Chevy dealership and they've been fantastic. The closest GMC dealership, where I bought, is an hour away.
I agree. I bought a 2023 GMC Sierra 1500 over an equivalent (Powertrain) Chevrolet because I preferred the look of the GMC body style (crew cab) which of course is purely subjective.

We will always harbor prejudices one way or the other, even if it is simply the looks. I truly do feel TFL, Tim, and many of the other reviewers attempt to stay objective, but they are human like us and will always lean a little towards their favorite. I don't fault them at all and just use the data as one more reference.

alrighty then, I guess a Good Bye is in order. People get to uptight about others opinions, especially when it comes to Vehicles. But you know the old saying; “ Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and none of them mean shit. I’ve never understood the Brand loyalty crowd. I’ve owned them all (except Nissan) I can tell you something that I didn’t like or what broke on every single manufacturer. 🤷‍♂️

Back