2024 Toyota 4Runner (Leak)

895 is correct. And I finally got a video out! Forgot my damn GoPro mount in my room so iPhone with headphones it is!

I don't see anything we didn't expect. An updated version that followed the Tacoma in design and equipment. I do like it, but I doubt I can afford it....lol. That's the big question everyone wants to know.

That's what Andre and Roman saw on TFL's video, from the sticker in the door jamb. It seemed pretty low to me, they made a comment that it was normal for that size SUV? I don't know if that's accurate or not.

Edit: The similar Tacoma is 1200-1300ish payload so adding a roof, glass, roof rack and more interior options/comfort must weigh around 3-400lbs?
I looked at the 4Runner as an options for us as well, 880 lbs of payload on the Off-Road version for 2024. Toyota doesn't like payload. If I recall correctly my Tucson had 935 lbs of payload.

I looked at the 4Runner as an options for us as well, 880 lbs of payload on the Off-Road version for 2024. Toyota doesn't like payload. If I recall correctly my Tucson had 935 lbs of payload.

Yea, it's surprising. My Ex drives a 3rd gen Tacoma, I think around a 2018. It's a TRD Sport long bed and seems pretty optioned. 850 payload. I was pretty shocked. The lowest number I see listed on publications, incl. Toyota itself is 1100+. This reminded me of this thread from another forum, the Toyota site says 1,500 the sticker on his truck says 1,150. Something funny afoot.

1712846371235.png

This reminded me of this thread from another forum, the Toyota site says 1,500 the sticker on his truck says 1,150. Something funny afoot.
What was the outcome of that thread? I'm imagining they read the documentation incorrectly. Toyota does make it very confusing when they list that data using different terms in the same manual like the new Tacos.

This was my first post ever here at the forums:

https://forum.pickuptrucktalk.com/threads/2024-toyota-4runner-payload-question.49/

There are three attachments from different owners manuals that I found conflicting… we never got to the bottom of it.
I asked Sheldon Brown about those pages. He hadn’t seen them before and I sent him the forum link. He thought the number was probably based on simple payload math of GVWR minus payload and was very conservative. He also said all Toyota payload numbers are conservative. It seemed like he was saying you can haul more than the number.

I’m still waiting for something more official.

What was the outcome of that thread? I'm imagining they read the documentation incorrectly. Toyota does make it very confusing when they list that data using different terms in the same manual like the new Tacos.
Unfortunatley, I didn't respond to the thread or capture anything other than the snippet... I can't find the damn thing again in the sea of posts. I'll keep looking.

Found it, it was when I was looking up Toyota Marketing payload number for my ex's 3rd gen. Apparently they did the same thing with the 3rd gen, they advertise way high and then never actually make a truck that can achieve that number. No outcome other than realization that this isn't a new thing for Toyota.

Last edited:
I asked Sheldon Brown about those pages. He hadn’t seen them before and I sent him the forum link. He thought the number was probably based on simple payload math of GVWR minus payload and was very conservative. He also said all Toyota payload numbers are conservative. It seemed like he was saying you can haul more than the number.

I’m still waiting for something more official.
Without saying that last sentence, I actually think that would be a worthwhile video to make people would definitely watch that one. In know even here and on the Tacoma and 4Runner forums would too.

Sheldon can say whatever he wants but the info in the owners manual is conflicting and legally we need to off the door tags. Why do three row 4Runners have a higher payload? What is different about the vehicle that gets us to that number? And using calculations as you describe give us ever higher numbers. Things just are not adding up here…

Sheldon can say whatever he wants but the info in the owners manual is conflicting and legally we need to off the door tags. Why do three row 4Runners have a higher payload? What is different about the vehicle that gets us to that number? And using calculations as you describe give us ever higher numbers. Things just are not adding up here…
I'm working on trying to explain what I learned.

I will say I can't talk to the older 4Runners payload, but the new ones are well below the Tacoma and Tundra.

Found it, it was when I was looking up Toyota Marketing payload number for my ex's 3rd gen. Apparently they did the same thing with the 3rd gen, they advertise way high and then never actually make a truck that can achieve that number. No outcome other than realization that this isn't a new thing for Toyota.
Yeah, so Toyota never owned it. Pretty lame in my mind. It is so odd because they don't chase towing numbers, HP numbers or any of the others. So why blow that number up when it was never going to be reached?

Back