Why did you buy your newest truck or SUV?

You know, I'm waiting for the first manufacturer to just put a D and an R button on the wheel. Or the shift paddles but they are just D or R. That way, your hands never leave the wheel. The Park can be its own button somewhere. Hell, that can be attached to the electric parking brake as far as I'm concerned.

Doesn't Tesla just "guess" lol?

My dad had a’58 Plymouth with the push button automatic transmission. It never worked very well especially in the cold weather. I like my center console shifter in my ‘23 GMC SIERRA 1500 as well as the shift paddles on the steering wheel.
As I look at my neighbor (his house is in the background of my avatar) trying to back his Razor in the garage with his Rebel, I am glad my old girls have column shifts. FCA, at the time of introduction, stated it was for more console room, but you can't tell me they don't save $$$ with a little dial and less wiring.

NHTSA just closed without recall the Seven Year "Yelchin" investigation on the dial shifters; still, a campaign had the vehicle automatically go into park if the door was open, so no crawling with the vehicle in drive making sure you are still on the pavement with freshly washed truck.;)

https://www.autoblog.com/2024/01/30...ge-ram-rotary-gear-shifters-without-a-recall/

You know, I'm waiting for the first manufacturer to just put a D and an R button on the wheel. Or the shift paddles but they are just D or R. That way, your hands never leave the wheel. The Park can be its own button somewhere. Hell, that can be attached to the electric parking brake as far as I'm concerned.
Edsel had shift buttons on the steering wheel where the horn typical is. It didn’t work out too good because in panic mode people would try to honk the horn but end up shifting into something they should not have.

As I look at my neighbor (his house is in the background of my avatar) trying to back his Razor in the garage with his Rebel, I am glad my old girls have column shifts. FCA, at the time of introduction, stated it was for more console room, but you can't tell me they don't save $$$ with a little dial and less wiring.

NHTSA just closed without recall the Seven Year "Yelchin" investigation on the dial shifters; still, a campaign had the vehicle automatically go into park if the door was open, so no crawling with the vehicle in drive making sure you are still on the pavement with freshly washed truck.;)

https://www.autoblog.com/2024/01/30...ge-ram-rotary-gear-shifters-without-a-recall/

The Yelchin death was caused in a Jeep with a console shifter, it was spring loaded and always "returned to center". You could never tell by the physical position what gear you were in.

The Ram rotary dial has always thrown itself into park the second you open the door, at least in my truck. They may have had different behaviour in the past. I've set my truck to auto set the parking brake as well once it goes into park. I don't think it's going anywhere when I hop out, and it makes short work of connecting a trailer as the truck doesn't move a single bit when you get under the ball and hop out.

With all the trannys going to electronic shifters, it'll be the next thing. Then Ford won't have to do silly crap like folding shifters!

The Yelchin death was caused in a Jeep with a console shifter, it was spring loaded and always "returned to center". You could never tell by the physical position what gear you were in.

The Ram rotary dial has always thrown itself into park the second you open the door, at least in my truck. They may have had different behaviour in the past. I've set my truck to auto set the parking brake as well once it goes into park. I don't think it's going anywhere when I hop out, and it makes short work of connecting a trailer as the truck doesn't move a single bit when you get under the ball and hop out.

Great new You Tube algorithm find! The third episode I watched is this one, where the channel's protagonist deals with the door open, straight to park "enhancement" FCA did to address the counterintuitive dial...Guess the "saves console room" argument doesn't work with the (Grand) Wagoneer's dial, as it is where a conventional lever shifter would go... Timestamp 6:50 is when the fun begins; this guy is experienced and conscientious, not sure other recovery people would be so careful with this FCA turn and pull the string "fix."

Last edited:

Great new You Tube algorithm find! The third episode I watched is this one, where the channel's protagonist deals with the door open, straight to park "enhancement" FCA did to address the counterintuitive dial...Guess the "saves console room" argument doesn't work with the (Grand) Wagoneer's dial, as it is where a conventional lever shifter would go... Timestamp 6:50 is when the fun begins; this guy is experienced and conscientious, not sure other recovery people would be so careful with this FCA turn and pull the string "fix."

Huh, wonder why they didn't just click the seat belt? I thought everyone knew that trick since they started putting that autopark in these. I've even heard carwash guys do it where the vehicle goes through by itself, they just buckle the driver's seatbelt.

Huh, wonder why they didn't just click the seat belt? I thought everyone knew that trick since they started putting that autopark in these. I've even heard carwash guys do it where the vehicle goes through by itself, they just buckle the driver's seatbelt.
If I heard it correctly Dustin (the tow truck driver) mention it was the factory procedure; I imagine their insurance (popular topic here) requires them to follow those to be underwritten. Buckling a seatbelt without being under it? Wow, hello 1974 and you can't start the car without it being buckled...And a lot of people clicked it with the belt under their posterior.

Last edited:
If I heard it correctly Dustin (the tow truck driver) mention it was the factory procedure; I imagine their insurance (popular topic here) requires them to follow those to be underwritten. Buckling a seatbelt without being under it? Wow, hello 1974 and you can't start the car without it being buckled...And a lot of people clicked it with the belt under their posterior.
Yeah, but apparently, he didn't follow the correct procedure. Some mopar tech let him know the right way to do it in the comments. I had no idea that little panel was even there. When I put a 2020 up on ramps is when I noticed it. Opened the door to check the alignment to the ramp and it shifted to park on me. Scared the crap I broke something. That's when I pulled the manual up to find out WTF happened.

Yeah, but apparently, he didn't follow the correct procedure. Some mopar tech let him know the right way to do it in the comments. I had no idea that little panel was even there. When I put a 2020 up on ramps is when I noticed it. Opened the door to check the alignment to the ramp and it shifted to park on me. Scared the crap I broke something. That's when I pulled the manual up to find out WTF happened.
I think I will stay with my mechanical column shifters for a good while longer.

The last column shifter I drove on a regular basis was my moms 1980 caprice station wagon. My preference in the past was a simple console shifter (not the spring loaded kind), but I've grown to like the dial as well. Fast, simple, unobtrusive, it could use a little stronger notches/indents but its really a nice system now that I've used it. In any case I won't choose one truck over another based on what they use to shift it unless I find something seriously wrong with how it works.

I remember driving my friend's Astro van with a three-speed manual shifter on the column...lol

Personally, I've driven all types and I really don't care where the shifter is. Thinking about it, I'd say the knob, steering wheel, or column so there is less space taken up on the console. Gotta have more room for my "stuff"...lol

Back