Where to List or Buy

22rfan

Any recommendations on where to list or buy used vehicles these days (local private sale or purchase)? My last private purchase was off of facebookauto but looking through the their listings now it seems that the majority are fake.

Yeah, buying/selling on-line has become a hot mess of garbage. I listed something on FB and received a buttload of scam inquiries within the first half-hour. Then legit people who were scared shitless to engage because they were afraid I was a scammer. If you want a deal, you just gotta sort through the bad stuff to find it. Or make it simple and go to a reputable dealer. There are also services like PrivateAuto.com and Keysavvy.com that act in the middle as an escrow service as well. They just charge a fee for it. I listed on Privateauto and had to get verified by them before I could even list the vehicle. Safe and secure but limited selection.

It feels like it's just been a product of the crazy inflated used car market the last few years. I'm shopping for a vehicle for my soon to be 16 year old and I'm seeing thousands of dollars come off of used car prices now. It's going to take a little while for the dealers, and others, to realize they may have to take a hit on a vehicle to move it.

I probably won't buy something off of FB, it's just too much shit to wade through.

Thanks for the replies.

If nothing else, FB listings are now fun in a Where is Waldo sort of way. I love the ones advertising in the Midwest that have palm trees in the pics. Or "passed emissions" in a state where there have never been and will never be emissions checks.

As a follow up....I decided to try CarMax for a surplus vehicle that the Mrs. wanted out of our driveway. It was a decent experience. They matched their online offer exactly. I'm sure we would have made more from a private sale (or less from a dealer trade in) but it was quick and saved me the hassle of listing and sorting through real/fake offers. It was for a 13 year old car with 123k on the odometer in less than perfect condition, so the potential gain from a private sale would have been minimal anyway.

As a follow up....I decided to try CarMax for a surplus vehicle that the Mrs. wanted out of our driveway. It was a decent experience. They matched their online offer exactly. I'm sure we would have made more from a private sale (or less from a dealer trade in) but it was quick and saved me the hassle of listing and sorting through real/fake offers. It was for a 13 year old car with 123k on the odometer in less than perfect condition, so the potential gain from a private sale would have been minimal anyway.
I sold my 2008 Toyota Highlander the through CarMax as well. Did not want to deal with a private sale or dealer trade in. CarMax gave me exactly what they quoted me in the online app.

Back