What is the one truck you regret turning back in?

Everybody has one, but what was the pickup you wanted to keep the most instead of turning back in?
That's a good question. I'd go with any of the Ford F-150s I've had. They just hit all my key checkmarks like: seat comfort, visibility, entry/exit height, usability (power on board, zone lightning) and engine performance. I don't love how they ride like a car, but that's a personal preference thing.

I can tell you more about the trucks I couldn't wait to get rid of! That's probably a better question.

I really disliked the Ford F-250 I drove a few years ago. It rode so rough, and such a shocking contrast to the F-150, I literally had to stop driving it. My back was really hurting after a few drives.

I also don't really care for the new trend of half-ton trucks coming to me with tow mirrors. I completely understand their use and I like them when I'm towing a camper, but, as a daily driver, they are annoying as hell and always get in my way.

Also, I want a truck with comfortable seats. It sucks to drive it around while my butt literally hurts. I try to present the good and bad on all trucks. It is hard to talk about the good when it hurts to ride in a truck.

Lastly, there's a few brands like Ram that doesn't send running boards with their trucks. That really doesn't make me want to drive it if I have to climb in and out every time.

For example, I had the Ram Rebel this week with no running boards. And it has tow mirrors. Honestly, I haven't put that many miles on it, because it is annoying for me to use. Personal problem for sure.

Instead, I have a Honda Ridgeline outside. I don't like it nearly as much as the Rebel, yet it is simply easier for me to use and drive around.

That's about it in a nutshell. If I can't get in easily, sit comfortable for long periods of time and see where I'm going, I'm not going to like the truck no matter how cool it is.

Everybody has one, but what was the pickup you wanted to keep the most instead of turning back in?
There are several I wish I'd kept. I didn't have enough money or garage space to keep them all though. In order of priority which I'd have kept if I could:

1) 2000 S10 ZR2
2) 1979 Ford F150 that my dad and I rebuilt
3) 1996 Chevy 1500 ext cab 4x4
4) 1987 Mazda B2000. Sentimental reasons.
5) My 1st gen crew cab 4x4 Tundra. I forget the exact year now, but it was in perfect shape when I traded it.
6) 2011 F150 4x4 crewcab ecoboost.

There are a couple other trucks my dad and grandpas also had I wish I could get back too.
My favorite work/company truck ever was a 2011 F150 with the 5.0 engine. I got better mpg with that truck than any other truck I've ever driven.

I had one old F250 that was always broke down I wouldn't want back at all.

That's a good question. I'd go with any of the Ford F-150s I've had. They just hit all my key checkmarks like: seat comfort, visibility, entry/exit height, usability (power on board, zone lightning) and engine performance. I don't love how they ride like a car, but that's a personal preference thing.
That's about it in a nutshell. If I can't get in easily, sit comfortable for long periods of time and see where I'm going, I'm not going to like the truck no matter how cool it is.
That's mostly what I look for too. Comfort and convenience for the majority of driving it: seats, steps, and common controls. I would hate those giant tow mirrors as well. Even if I towed more. I used the temp ones when I needed them and even those were not hard to see past. My 80-year-old mother-in-law bought a Rebel for some unknown reason, and she has bad knees. I had to give her the auto-steps so she could get in and out without a step stool.

This is a great question. As a prospective buyer, I’m anxious to hear more opinions…
The older I get, the more truth there is to the old saying, "They don't make 'em like they used to." That's mostly why I would like to have some of my previous trucks back. I've got 2 trucks now and I won't be getting rid of them. My 2018 Tundra double cab and my 2016 2500 Chevy. There are a lot of great things about the new trucks, but there are more things I'm comfortable with and like about the older ones. New tech and govt regulations will also keep automakers from ever going back. The more mpg and emissions requirements there are, the less desirable they are to me.

For me it's the second gen Tacoma I mean I would do it again in the same situation but I wish I could have kept it for my son who is turning 16 in a couple weeks. I traded it in when he was 12.

It was a 2009 with 200,000+ mi on it access cab 4x4 and they gave me over 12,000 for it, I don't remember the exact number but it was during COVID.

Great rock solid truck.

Mine was my 1989 Dodge Dakota and Chevy Silverado.

The Dakota was my first truck. It had 4wd, the 2.8 V-6 and the rare 8 foot bed. It was a great work truck.

The Silverado was the 1500 level with the 5.3 V-8, extended cab, Z71 edition. It was the best overall pickup I ever owned. The versatility of it was amazing.

Mine was the 2001 Ranger with a manual transmission. We used that truck for all kinds of adventures.. I really loved that truck. It was an XTL and a CD player. Simple but solid truck. The worst part was we picked up a Honda Pilot, which we also loved, but that started a trend where we started purchasing only top trim vehicles and have never gone back since... LOL So in essence, not keeping that truck cost us a lot of money in the long run!

But I remember how awesome that truck was. The rear seats were tiny, but worked, I took my then fiance to a formal dance in it, we used it for camping, towing ATVs and moving across the state. I saw the thread here on the chat with and engineer about towing, I'm sure we were no where near spec moving a couple of times, but the Ranger handled everything we threw at it.

Back