What does 'American-made' mean to you?

jillciminillo

Administrator
Staff member
I'm always very intrigued by the Cars.com American-Made Index every year -- and the fact that it's rarely a Detroit 3 truck that tops the list. This year, for the third year in a row, the Honda Ridgeline was dubbed the most American truck. Does that sit well with you? How about the fact that the Toyota Tundra is "more American" than the Ford F-150.

You can dig into the story and the AMI full list, but the crux of the survey looks at how many American jobs and parts are created with the build of the truck -- so it has to do with final assembly location as well as parts and labor. So, do you think it's more American for a foreign automaker to build, design and source the truck in America (thus creating more jobs) or for an American automaker to source and build the truck outside of America but bring the revenue home?

It reminds me of the late 80'sand early 90's when manufacturers had to post the percentage of American parts in their vehicles. Mazda was always near the top with 80%.

I'm always very intrigued by the Cars.com American-Made Index every year -- and the fact that it's rarely a Detroit 3 truck that tops the list. This year, for the third year in a row, the Honda Ridgeline was dubbed the most American truck. Does that sit well with you? How about the fact that the Toyota Tundra is "more American" than the Ford F-150.

You can dig into the story and the AMI full list, but the crux of the survey looks at how many American jobs and parts are created with the build of the truck -- so it has to do with final assembly location as well as parts and labor. So, do you think it's more American for a foreign automaker to build, design and source the truck in America (thus creating more jobs) or for an American automaker to source and build the truck outside of America but bring the revenue home?

I have purchased vehicles from several countries. When my wife was a poor student ,working on her PhD, her well used Datsun B-210 was totaled. We decided that another used car was not going to work so we ended up buying a new YUGO (manufactured in of course Yugoslavia) for $3,600. She kept this car for 3 years with just regular oil changes and sold it to another student for $1,800. Was it dependable, yes very much so. So for us dependability is a foremost requirement and second is low cost of ownership.
Made in America is no guarantee that you’re not going to have problems (I.e. the new Tundra, made in America, engine made in Alabama). My ‘23 GMC SIERRA 1500 was made in Mexico (LZ0 engine and tranny made in US) and over 18 months and 14,000 miles hasn’t had any problems and the fit and finish was excellent. Would I buy a vehicle made in China? Absolutely not, one because Americans already buy a boatload of stuff from that country. What percentage of a vehicle is made in the US does not weigh in any shape or form in our decision as to which vehicle we choose. Sorry for the extended verbiage.

I think it's comical how "American made" was so strongly argued for the big three then these lists appeared. I knew a guy down the street who sent a JD lawnmower back because it had a Kawasaki engine. With ownership all over the globe, manufacturing all over the globe, what does it really matter? And how many people are typing their comments on an American made phone or computer? Anyone? Anyone?

I think it's comical how "American made" was so strongly argued for the big three then these lists appeared. I knew a guy down the street who sent a JD lawnmower back because it had a Kawasaki engine. With ownership all over the globe, manufacturing all over the globe, what does it really matter? And how many people are typing their comments on an American made phone or computer? Anyone? Anyone?
How does one send a lawnmower back exactly??

My take is that American Made is more perception than reality. My AT4 was built in Mexico (engine and trans built in US). The reality is that my neighbors Ridgeline is far more American made than my GMC, but my perception, and I'm guessing that of many other Americans is that I'm driving an American truck while my neighbor is driving a Japanese vehicle.

Is American Made important to me? I'd like it to be but until its important to the companies that claim to be American made I'm chasing perception rather than reality.

How does one send a lawnmower back exactly??
He bought it from a local JD dealer. When they offloaded it in his driveway, they lifted the hood to explain pre-op checks and he saw the Kawasaki logo. Told them to stop right there and load it back on the truck because he did not want it. He ended up getting a different model with a Briggs. He was a former Marine from WWII and refused to eat Asian food either.

I do prefer American made and then after that, allied made (in the current order of the world.) I try to avoid China when I can but that's impossible with some things. My Samsung phone is made in Vietnam, Dell laptop all over but Dell is cutting ties with China as Samsung did.

In the truck world I don't have any hesitation for assembled in the US, Canada or Mexico. I don't doubt some of the components and chips are made in China. Even then, those parts or traded and sold in US dollars which helps us and drives our economy.

I do prefer American made and then after that, allied made (in the current order of the world.) I try to avoid China when I can but that's impossible with some things. My Samsung phone is made in Vietnam, Dell laptop all over but Dell is cutting ties with China as Samsung did.

In the truck world I don't have any hesitation for assembled in the US, Canada or Mexico. I don't doubt some of the components and chips are made in China. Even then, those parts or traded and sold in US dollars which helps us and drives our economy.
In today's world, it's just too difficult to keep track of. I've had customers that existed purely because an overseas company wanted a "Made in USA" logo. So all parts were sent to the US, it was assembled here then sent back for distribution. And I have also seen the opposite; all American designed and built parts sent overseas for assembly. Hard to say which one was more American.

My take is that American Made is more perception than reality. My AT4 was built in Mexico (engine and trans built in US). The reality is that my neighbors Ridgeline is far more American made than my GMC, but my perception, and I'm guessing that of many other Americans is that I'm driving an American truck while my neighbor is driving a Japanese vehicle.

Is American Made important to me? I'd like it to be but until its important to the companies that claim to be American made I'm chasing perception rather than reality.
Hence the avatar “chaseydog”.🤔

Back