Used Prices Have Me Rethinking the Tacoma Purchase

Beninbeta

Hey Y'all, so my Tacoma has been placed on a QC hold along with many others, not sure what's up there, but some people are getting up to a 45 day hold on their vehicles. So of course that made me think a bit, chin scratcher as Tim likes to do! One vehicle I have always liked, but was too expensive for the budget we set was the Ford Bronco Badlands with the Sasquatch package. So I was looking around at used vehicles and low and behold there are several of those in my area that are at or less than what we'll pay for the Taco.

I'd lose the truck bed, but since this is both a daily driver and an overland build for us my thoughts are
  1. The Bronco already has upgraded everything for getting off the beaten path
  2. The Bronco has more space inside and will probably be more comfortable, have not driven one yet.
  3. Buying used means I don't lose a bunch of money driving the new Tacoma off of the lot
  4. The Bronco is probably a better overlanding vehicle
  5. A used Bronco with under 15k miles will is cheaper than Taco.
So does everyone else think?

Hey Y'all, so my Tacoma has been placed on a QC hold along with many others, not sure what's up there, but some people are getting up to a 45 day hold on their vehicles. So of course that made me think a bit, chin scratcher as Tim likes to do! One vehicle I have always liked, but was too expensive for the budget we set was the Ford Bronco Badlands with the Sasquatch package. So I was looking around at used vehicles and low and behold there are several of those in my area that are at or less than what we'll pay for the Taco.

I'd lose the truck bed, but since this is both a daily driver and an overland build for us my thoughts are
  2. The Bronco has more space inside and will probably be more comfortable, have not driven one yet.
  3. Buying used means I don't lose a bunch of money driving the new Tacoma off of the lot

Why not spring for a used Canyon with the little 4 cylinder diesel? 30+ mpg on the freeway, lots of torque for towing, you can find them in crew cab long bed configuration if you're patient. Nice little trucks if you can ignore the fact that the new ones have a much nicer interior.

Why not spring for a used Canyon with the little 4 cylinder diesel? 30+ mpg on the freeway, lots of torque for towing, you can find them in crew cab long bed configuration if you're patient. Nice little trucks if you can ignore the fact that the new ones have a much nicer interior.
Interesting idea, but I do want a modern interior with a big screen and 360 degree cameras.

So it is built, they are just checking it out for an issue? Nice they are telling you if the QC is on your built truck, most manufacturers won't.

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...o-badlands-sasquatch-reliability-maintenance/

The uniqueness of the Bronco is wearing off and Ford's QC has been the worst if recalls are your measuring bogey is recalls. Stay away from 2021 and maybe more:

https://www.motor1.com/news/689613/ford-bronco-engine-failure-investigation-expanded/

You may get a "I settled for this?" if the Bronco doesn't meet your needs or desires...And you see an new Tacoma go by.

So it is built, they are just checking it out for an issue? Nice they are telling you if the QC is on your built truck, most manufacturers won't.

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...o-badlands-sasquatch-reliability-maintenance/

The uniqueness of the Bronco is wearing off and Ford's QC has been the worst if recalls are your measuring bogey is recalls. Stay away from 2021 and maybe more:

https://www.motor1.com/news/689613/ford-bronco-engine-failure-investigation-expanded/

You may get a "I settled for this?" if the Bronco doesn't meet your needs or desires...And you see an new Tacoma go by.
What got me thinking more about this was the fact that the Bronco is much better setup for overlanding out of the box. My wife and I plan to head out at least once a month if not more in the Colorado backcountry. Once I get the Taco, I'm pretty much replacing the tires right away, but not going any bigger so I don't lose payload. I'll add rock rails and skid plates. So right there is a couple grand more over the price I'll pay for the Taco. The Bronco has all that and after adding those items to the Taco has more payload too. Plus 35 inch tires, a front locker, and more interior space.

I'm looking at several 22-23 Broncos that are the same price or less than the Tacoma. So not a settled for, or a QC thing, anything can haver problems. It's more of a, Am I getting more of what I need for the money I'm spending?

What got me thinking more about this was the fact that the Bronco is much better setup for overlanding out of the box. My wife and I plan to head out at least once a month if not more in the Colorado backcountry. Once I get the Taco, I'm pretty much replacing the tires right away, but not going any bigger so I don't lose payload. I'll add rock rails and skid plates. So right there is a couple grand more over the price I'll pay for the Taco. The Bronco has all that and after adding those items to the Taco has more payload too. Plus 35 inch tires, a front locker, and more interior space.

I'm looking at several 22-23 Broncos that are the same price or less than the Tacoma. So not a settled for, or a QC thing, anything can haver problems. It's more of a, Am I getting more of what I need for the money I'm spending?
Definitely have to drive the Bronco and see given your priorities. Wishing best results in either case...And some great overlanding.

Last edited:
The thing is, when you are deep into remote off road adventures ,the last thing you are worried about are Big screens and cameras . It has always been Reliability and Capability .
I have to say, most of my overlanding has been with one of these:

hmmwv-humvee-07.jpeg The E-3 in the picture can make up for the cameras for such a wide vehicle, but really is to be used for scanning for other dangers.

I'm reminded of the Aussie ditty: If you want to go to the Outback, take a Land Rover...If you want to get back, take a Land Cruiser!

Well actually they didn't tell me about it, I figured it out through the forums, then asked my dealer if it was in QC and he said yes. Could be up to a 45 day hold and it's every truck coming to Colorado Springs from what I can tell.

I would checkout the Bronco forums to see what issues are common for what you’re looking at. Also, Dave, at All Terrain Nation, is a big fan of the Bronco and maybe he could give you some advice on the models and years you are looking at. Best of luck.

Hey Ben, there is a youtuber in colorado that is a member of the colorado 4x4 offroad recovery program. He traded in a jeep rubicon on a ‘22 bronco badlands sasquatch. He has several videos of the bronco you might be interested in. Here is a link to his latest, i believe.

Can the bronco hold everything you would want for your trips? I assume yes but I would hate to lose the truck bed personally. I'm not a fan of Ford's build quality on their interiors. Materials aside they seem squeaky and noisier.

However, as I've said I think the Tacoma is overpriced and not really by a little.

I say go bronco and if it doesn't work out in a year or two get back into a mildly used Tacoma or other mid-size.

Seen a few threads like this pop up in regards to out of spec Tacoma's being delivered. This could be a reason for the QC holds.

For those not wanting to click the link, this truck was delivered and sold with a skinny spare tire, not the full size spare it should have come with.

Last edited:

Seen a few threads like this pop up in regards to out of spec Tacoma's being delivered. This could be a reason for the QC holds.

For those not wanting to click the link, this truck was delivered and sold with a skinny spare tire, not the full size spare it should have come with.
Thanks for sharing this link. I've reached out to Toyota PR for an answer.

My question is why make the tire switch right away? Why not try them out and see IF you need to make the switch and/or bolt on more parts. I get the rock rails, but extra skid plates and swapping tires seems like jumping the gun to me.

My question is why make the tire switch right away? Why not try them out and see IF you need to make the switch and/or bolt on more parts. I get the rock rails, but extra skid plates and swapping tires seems like jumping the gun to me.
That's a great question.

Tires are the thing that worry me the most on Colorado trails with so many sharp rocks and even "easy" trails sometimes having some pretty rocky sections. But both are more peace of mind. I figure if I have great traction and sidewalls and armor, if I bang something I won't be too worried about it. The tires they put on the 23's, Goodyear Territory ATs, were pretty good (ask me how I know) and more aggressive than what I'm seeing from the BFGs they are putting on the 24s.

Most people in the overlanding community I have discussed this with agreed that decent tires and armor are good purchases and all we'd likely need for what we're looking to do, but I'm new to the overlanding thing so 🤷‍♀️? My thought on adding these right away was that it would give us 50,000 miles to see if we needed anything else while still getting something back from the stock tires, offsetting the cost a bit.

hey there.. Yes we are big fans of the Bronco platform. We have a 2021 Bronco Badlands with Sasquatch. The Bronco is by far the best over all off road platform we have ever tested. Ours has the 2.7L TT v6 and it’s pretty peppy for a heavy SUV.
Thanks for the reply and video!

I just got back from test driving the Bronco......
It's not for me. I'm very confident that it's very capable, but the cabin noise and pretty rough ride kind of turned me off. Also with a tent on top it definite wouldn't fit in my garage!

The seats even without power were comfy and the steering was solid. It had good manners on the road and great power from the engine. But my wife's back wouldn't thank me on everyday Colorado roads. She also has some of the most sensitive hearing of any person I have every met so that cabin noise would be an issue, given it was too loud for me. I think we've become pretty domesticated these past 21 years since we owned our Ranger!

I'd opt for an on-board air compressor kit and just air down the tires when you plan on going off-road. Then, when the stock tires are done, make the switch then.

Back