Titan is dead, why?

Lack of promotion of truck, lack of dealerships, extended cycle life of refreshes. Nissan had something and really should have taken one more swing at it. But I said the same thing when they canned the Xterra and ruined the Pathfinder (until recent updates kind of) I own a 2019 Titan CC 4X4 S and dollar for dollar it was the best option. Wish more folks even knew what it was!

I see and read how great the Titan is (V-8, 9 speed, no auto start/stop or cylinder de-activation, comfortable sears, nicely weighted steering, sound insulation, value), but I’ve also read about some problems with the JATCO transmission. Carcomplaints makes it seem like it’s reliable, though. what do Titan owners say? Good bet? Would you buy again? How about compared to 2nd gen Tundra?

I grew up in a GM family - Pontiac and Buick mostly, and the 1972 Honda Car with the 650cc engine).

As an adult, I've owned a Hard Body, 2 Frontiers, a Tundra, Silverado, and my last two trucks have been F150s. I was a big fan of Japanese vehicles through the 80's and 90's. My Tundra was a '08 and in many ways, was a disappointment. The ride was crude and it lacked basic features. (cruise control). After the Tundra, I bought an '01 Silverado used, and it was a good vehicle, and when I bought my first F150 (2018) I looked at Silverados, Titans, Tundras, and Tacomas. The friends that I had with Titans got ~14mpg. My 08 Tundra and 01 Silverado averaged 18. I found the Titan's styling the least attractive of all of the trucks, and the power train outdated. The specs on the 5.6 were great when it came out, but newer engines are so much more efficient, and the Dodges, Fords and GMCs are so much more attractive.

I see and read how great the Titan is (V-8, 9 speed, no auto start/stop or cylinder de-activation, comfortable sears, nicely weighted steering, sound insulation, value), but I’ve also read about some problems with the JATCO transmission. Carcomplaints makes it seem like it’s reliable, though. what do Titan owners say? Good bet? Would you buy again? How about compared to 2nd gen Tundra?
I have the 2019 Titan (7 Speed trans) I feel it does a pretty good job, wish it would drop a gear a bit faster when trying to pass but other wise its good. I drive 75 miles a day for work (70% highway/ 30% Chicago traffic) and average 18.5 mpg. My dad just bought the 2022 nissan frontier with the updated 9 speed transmission (he came from the old 5 speed trans in the 2017 frontier) he said its insane and the fastest/ smoothest shifting trans he has ever driven. I guess its like a Honda transmission (some folks love em and some hate em) But I think they are good. I feel the titan has enough comfort items (leather, big sunroof, in bed/ cab power, heated cooled seats etc) but its a truck and it feels like a trcuk and it refuses to pretend to be something else. Might also be why its days are over. Just an honest truck that I wish more folks gave a chance

I switched to Nissan trucks after being a 30 year Ford guy in 2007.
I've had two Frontier and two Titans, a 21 PRO4X currently with 56k trouble free miles. It saddens me that they are dropping them. I was told they were doing so to appease the feds mpg mandates.
Also had both 7&9 speed tranny's took a while but. I like the 9 better. Although I haven't seen any better milage.

Use to be a big Nissan fam had 5 of them until a a bad transmission and the recall hopscotched over me. They were more basic and better buy if you wanted something about 10percent less and just wanted less options. But with Nissan they keep spending less r&d into their products. One of our favorite vehicles was an Xterra I wish we couuld get a Terra Sport I saw in the foreign market.

I switched to Nissan trucks after being a 30 year Ford guy in 2007.
I've had two Frontier and two Titans, a 21 PRO4X currently with 56k trouble free miles. It saddens me that they are dropping them. I was told they were doing so to appease the feds mpg mandates.
Also had both 7&9 speed tranny's took a while but. I like the 9 better. Although I haven't seen any better milage.
Fed MPGs can play a role for sure, I think poor sales were also a leading factor. Nissan spent a TON of money on the Titan and just didn’t see the sales volume. There were a lot of frustrated people at Nissan during this time and the bad press C&D called it the worst truck they had every driven after it broke down on them a few times. I was also pretty critical that you just didn’t see the truck on the roads around the plant where it’s built. If the employees aren’t buying them, then that says something to me.

The Cummins XD was also a big miss. Cummins shopped that engine around for years and nobody bought it. It was too heavy, too inefficient and it just didn’t have a place in the market. Nissan say a heavy-duty half as being the solution, yet the XD didn’t best some half-ton trucks already on the market. Just a miss by management.

Nissan could have put more effort on the trims, and their Warrior concept at the Detroit auto show around 2016 might have infused some renewed interest from the public:
1709425041450.png (photo from "autoevolution")
Anecdote: when I decided to purchase a V8 truck, I first contacted a Nissan dealer here in NJ, asking if they were selling at MSRP. They never answered, so I went to Chevrolet. Could the dealers have done a bit better themselves? Bottom line is, it is a shame the Titan is going because it is a good truck, and a good looking truck IMO. Nissan Corp. should have tried to undercut the competition pricewise, playing a long game to get some conquest buys.

I think it's because they seemed to do no advertising at all. A lot of people probably didn't even know about the 2020 refresh.
Yeah, they had no clue how to market it, they spent ad money on small margin Altima and Rogue (remember the flying Rogue on to the Train commercial they ran ad nauseum?).

Yeah, 200 times was torture.

Even when they did do Titan commercials, the tone deafness in identifying potential conquest buyers is palatable:

They didn’t have the talent, money and motivation to be competitive. Unfortunately, the new Frontier, while conceptually decent, is way behind the competition. I doubt Nissan has the money to bring the interior and engine up to a competitive level. It is at the bottom of the midsize market, and can be replaced from the low end by the Maverick and Santa Cruz.

Buddy of mine inherited an '08 Titan from his dad and it just went out on him, the rear end I believe which is the second or third time it's went out and now the parts are hard to get and expensive so he got rid of it. But it had over 250,000 mi on it and he towed a heavy travel trailer with it quite a bit, overall a pretty good truck.

I just think they were a good truck but by no means a great truck. I think of when a lot of people start looking at a truck to buy and spend the kind of money it takes to get into any of them including the mid-sizes they quickly realized that for a little bit more money here or there they can get exactly what they want. The Titan in the frontier are definitely a little cheaper but in the end I don't know if it's enough to make up for not getting exactly what you want. The frontiers closer than the Titan just my opinion.

Nissan could have put more effort on the trims, and their Warrior concept at the Detroit auto show around 2016 might have infused some renewed interest from the public:
View attachment 259 (photo from "autoevolution")
Anecdote: when I decided to purchase a V8 truck, I first contacted a Nissan dealer here in NJ, asking if they were selling at MSRP. They never answered, so I went to Chevrolet. Could the dealers have done a bit better themselves? Bottom line is, it is a shame the Titan is going because it is a good truck, and a good looking truck IMO. Nissan Corp. should have tried to undercut the competition pricewise, playing a long game to get some conquest buys.
Damn, that’s a cool looking concept

Simple business decision. They needed the line space for their new EVs so what do they drop? The model that is selling the least. Plus, the biggest so more shipping costs, more space at dealerships, etc. So final answer? Money, like most decisions.

I was going to buy a Nissan Titan in 2004 but Nissan did not make a regular cab version so I bought a 2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 RCLB W/T 4x4, so no sale for Nissan.

With Nissan killing off the Titan and all the extra plant capacity now they can get back to making actual compact pickup trucks like the old days.

The guy at work has a Nissan Titan regular cab long bed 4x4, its a pretty rare sight, I kind of like Nissan pickups because when I was a kid my grandfather bought a new 1988 Hardbody RCSB Automatic that we still have, the body is completely rusted, but it still fires right up, I think the only thing mechanical that has been done to it is a new flexplate, I still remember getting home from school and seeing a new pickup sitting in grandpas parking spot, so far as know its the only new vehicle he ever bought.
The Nissan replaced a 1970 Chevy C10 short bed which would be worth big money these days.

Back