Tinkerer's Adventure - New Toyotas

Fightnfire

I've shared a few of his videos here this is his most recent. He's a Toyota fan and builds over landing and technical off-road vehicles. I've seen quite a few posts on here about guys looking for cheap trucks, this fits. He's a very well respected mechanical engineer, and has a way of making difficult engineering topics easy to consume for the average person.

He's been looking for a new vehicle for quite a while and was waiting for all of the new Toyota stuff to come out here's what he chose and why:

I've shared a few of his videos here this is his most recent. He's a Toyota fan and builds over landing and technical off-road vehicles. I've seen quite a few posts on here about guys looking for cheap trucks, this fits. He's a very well respected mechanical engineer, and has a way of making difficult engineering topics easy to consume for the average person.

He's been looking for a new vehicle for quite a while and was waiting for all of the new Toyota stuff to come out here's what he chose and why:

I got a chance, finally (it has been a week), to watch this video. BTW, I didn't shake this guy's hand, but he was at an event I was at in California.

I made it through most of the video until I got bored. He tears down every new truck to justify his purchase decision. I don't think he is wrong with his purchase though. If I was going to do that kind of off-road driving, I'd go used for sure. No sense beating up a new truck like that and doing all the mods he plans. While he justifies his decision pretty well, I really think it comes down to not damaging a new truck vs beating the crap out of a used truck.

From a YouTube business standpoint, I hope it works. I know others like Mark at Tundradude34 have tried similar things to buy used and it has not worked in terms of views. People want to see new stuff and so does the SEO gods who control the YT algorithm UNLESS you are a focused off-road channel. Then it can work to some degree.

I got a chance, finally (it has been a week), to watch this video. BTW, I didn't shake this guy's hand, but he was at an event I was at in California.

I made it through most of the video until I got bored. He tears down every new truck to justify his purchase decision. I don't think he is wrong with his purchase though. If I was going to do that kind of off-road driving, I'd go used for sure. No sense beating up a new truck like that and doing all the mods he plans. While he justifies his decision pretty well, I really think it comes down to not damaging a new truck vs beating the crap out of a used truck.

From a YouTube business standpoint, I hope it works. I know others like Mark at Tundradude34 have tried similar things to buy used and it has not worked in terms of views. People want to see new stuff and so does the SEO gods who control the YT algorithm UNLESS you are a focused off-road channel. Then it can work to some degree.
He only puts out videos every few months. I don't think he's trying to make a living off of YouTube at all. Also, I think the point he's trying to make is from an engineering standpoint and showing cost cutting measures in new Toyota vehicles. His other vehicles have also been used. I beleive his last build was an FJ cruiser.

The majority of people don't off road or even overland their trucks. Jeep's and Toyotas were always built to be able to do that though... they've both changed a lot however and the cost cutting is evident especially in the Toyota side.

The other aspect is that he is a YTuber and costs matter. That Tundra will be infinitely cheaper. Plus, end use really matters. I think if he was picking his daily driver, he wouldn't make the same choice. If I was going to build another Jeep for off-roading, it surely wouldn't be a recent model. Just too damn expensive.

Toyota has not made a truck I am interested in since about 1991 for the small trucks and 2017 for the full size trucks.

Back