Tim's Wife With Great Thoughts on the KIA EV9

Beninbeta

I enjoyed this video and its' kind of a cool test for EVs in rural areas too. I'm surprised that the range for the EV9 isn't over 300 or even closer to 350 miles though.

Tim, see if you can get the Silverado EV that has over 400 miles of range and do the harder day test? That'd be interesting too. If EVs were all 450 plus miles of range they'd be much more practical. It sounded like she really liked it though.

Nice job.

I watched this video as well even though I am not considering an EV currently. I found Heather's analysis to be as expected; a little range anxiety and some uncertainty as to how to drive it properly. The regenerative breaking seems to take a little getting used to. And living in western Nebraska, it does not seem that the infrastructure is where it needs to be. I thought she did a nice job. Tim should have her give a review of her TrailBlazer so he can use it as a tax write off too.

I live in a suburban area and have noticed dealerships installing charging stations. I wonder if this will be for customers or just to charge dealership vehicles. My company installed eight chargers in the building and they allow 3 hours of usage before you need to move. I presume they are quick chargers based on their size. They are free for the employees. It seems quite a few of my co-workers drive Tesla's and Rav4 Prime. Who knew?

Great work Heather.

Thanks,
Eric

Agreed, Heather expressed concerns that anyone considering an EV should be asking themselves. I recently caught a video on Steve Lehtos channel that brought up another concern that I haven’t even considered.

One of the benefits of owning an EV is not having to purchase fuel. As the number of EVs increases tax revenue from fuel sales is going to start dropping. The tax revenue, for the most part is used to maintain our roads. The solution might be to tax charging stations in the same way we do gas but that just seems like it would drive people to do most of their charging at home. The only other solution I can think of would be to increase yearly vehicle registration.

Agreed, Heather expressed concerns that anyone considering an EV should be asking themselves. I recently caught a video on Steve Lehtos channel that brought up another concern that I haven’t even considered.

One of the benefits of owning an EV is not having to purchase fuel. As the number of EVs increases tax revenue from fuel sales is going to start dropping. The tax revenue, for the most part is used to maintain our roads. The solution might be to tax charging stations in the same way we do gas but that just seems like it would drive people to do most of their charging at home. The only other solution I can think of would be to increase yearly vehicle registration.
Several states already charge a yearly fee for EVs for registration so that is already happening.

States are going charge fees according to mileage driven regardless of propulsion method. It is the only way they can recoup the lost revenue.

Yep. I have no problem with them charging a tax at registration based on miles driven, as long as you remove sales tax from the fuel purchases. The problem will be how to recoup the cost of out of staters? Then it gets complicated.

Back