Thinking about buying a 2025 Ram - Hurricane or Ramcharger

testerdahl

Administrator
Staff member
I'm considering buying a 2205 Ram 1500 and I'm curious which way you'd like to see me go. Do you want to see the Hurricane or the Ramcharger on the website and YouTube channel?

I'm considering buying a 2205 Ram 1500 and I'm curious which way you'd like to see me go. Do you want to see the Hurricane or the Ramcharger on the website and YouTube channel?
Tim, I would vote for the RamCharger, specifically for determining how this platform will work. I have seen plenty of comments about not needing 690 miles of range because folks think its too far to drive in one day. I disagree. I will gladly pull our 25ft camper for 10-14hrs in one day. Can this new RamCharger accomplish that kind of drive in one day?

Our trip to Glacier National Park this year was Lincoln to Kaycee, WY...646 miles. Next day...Kaycee, WY to St Mary, MT was 584 miles. Can this new platform handle that kind of a trip pulling a 6,000# camper? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
I find the Ram Charger fascinating, but I think there will be more excitement around the Hurricane engine.

If the RamCharger has a 690 mile range on a 27 gallon tank that equates to 25.6 mpg. Good for a half ton; great for something with a 2500lb payload. If, like many vehicles, mpg is 1/2 when towing it will still have a 345 mile range. That will be impressive. The power on board features also seem like a big selling point. If it comes in at $100k, they won't sell many - and you probably won't get many views. I really hope they have found the magic formula though. This could be the 2500/3500 drivetrain of the future.

The Hurricane on the other hand has been generating hype for a few years. Since that is Ram's main truck engine going forward, I think that would draw the most views.

Ramcharger. The other will just be another Ram with a different motor. Still worthy of a review but the Ramcharger will be something completely different we haven't seen since the Chevy Volt.

Tim,

I just read an article that the new 2025 RAM with the H/O engine will require premium fuel, not recommend it. Have you heard anything about this? If it's true that adds a lot of money to the ownership cost of the vehicle. Premium runs about .50 more per gallon in my neck of the woods. (I only use premium in my 6.2 but it's not "required.")

Im always interested in reviews of a new vehicle especially when OEM enters a new first gen engine, I have no idea how it will perform, it sounds interesting, as for Ramcharger, I would be interested to see real world performance, for myself, Ive extended my 10 ft pole to 20 ft, Im not going to touch or play the battery game, I live in the rural's, I plan on doing some traveling such as Ontario to B.C, up and down the west coast of Canada and U.S, there is no way I want to target charging stations and then hope the charger works, then wait for it to charge, and not interested in an ICE charge in the truck, I'll stick to my plans of buying a 3.0 LZ0 Duramax.

Tim,

I just read an article that the new 2025 RAM with the H/O engine will require premium fuel, not recommend it. Have you heard anything about this? If it's true that adds a lot of money to the ownership cost of the vehicle. Premium runs about .50 more per gallon in my neck of the woods. (I only use premium in my 6.2 but it's not "required.")
It’s true.

That's the same as the Wagoneers then, only the HO requires it. The other does not.

What trims will the HO be available in? Not gonna get many Big Horn buyers wanting to pump premium fuel.

The H/O is exclusive to upper trims, limited and tungsten I believe. These are $70+ trucks.

I run 91 in my 5.7 hemi big horn, these engines that say "recommended" vs "required" are just playing with words. When they say "recommended", your engine is going to perform best on high octane fuel, I prefer to not have my engine knocking about and then trying to adjust for octane.

There are guys who have logged their computer running 87 vs 89 in a hemi, it was still pulling timing on 89. 91 will still ping occasionally.

The H/O is exclusive to upper trims, limited and tungsten I believe. These are $70+ trucks.
Considering Tim's Big Horn was over $70, I'm guessing a Limited will be over $80. Especially with the upgraded engine. If you can afford that truck, what's another $500 a year for the more expensive fuel? I surely wouldn't want a work truck or middle trim requiring it though.

I have a lot of thoughts and questions about the Ram charger that will probably have to wait until someone long term reviews one. At first glance it looks like a maintenance nightmare. EV's are more expensive to maintain by a wide margin but here you also get a gas motor to maintain. As a daily driver or a Prius commuter for a few years I am really curious to see how the V6 pushes power to the batteries. Can it keep up the required charge while towing heavy over long distances or up mountain passes? I'm guessing it can or they wouldn't have pushed to production but I am really curious to see how it all works... and what the MSRP will be.

I have a lot of thoughts and questions about the Ram charger that will probably have to wait until someone long term reviews one. At first glance it looks like a maintenance nightmare. EV's are more expensive to maintain by a wide margin but here you also get a gas motor to maintain. As a daily driver or a Prius commuter for a few years I am really curious to see how the V6 pushes power to the batteries. Can it keep up the required charge while towing heavy over long distances or up mountain passes? I'm guessing it can or they wouldn't have pushed to production but I am really curious to see how it all works... and what the MSRP will be.

I'm looking forward to the reviews as well. I won't buy one tomorrow or even next year, but I believe this tech in general (gas engine with batteries) will be the only way truck guys like us can bridge the gap into the eventual push for all EVs.

What's so hard about maintaining an EV? Never owned one so genuine question. It's just electrical bits which are non servicable unless you start losing battery capacity around 10+ years?

The pentastar is a known quantity, it's a great engine for the most part. No doubt a better engine can be designed in the future which works better for this particular application but this is what they had on the shelf so it's a great start to get the project rolling.

As for power; most of the time we drive well below peak power numbers. It requires way less than 100 hp to maintain 100 km/h unloaded. Towing, not so sure, but if you start with full batteries and tow mode kicks the generator on almost immediately, I see no reason why it can't meet the expected range probably around the same range you'd get towing with any other gasser?

My big question; while towing, are you listening to the pentastar screaming at 4000 RPMs the whole trip, or is it sitting below 2200? My truck tows at 2200 and it's just a gentle/comforting hum you can barely hear, but I'm not listening to a screaming engine the whole trip!

I'm looking forward to the reviews as well. I won't buy one tomorrow or even next year, but I believe this tech in general (gas engine with batteries) will be the only way truck guys like us can bridge the gap into the eventual push for all EVs.

What's so hard about maintaining an EV? Never owned one so genuine question. It's just electrical bits which are non servicable unless you start losing battery capacity around 10+ years?

The pentastar is a known quantity, it's a great engine for the most part. No doubt a better engine can be designed in the future which works better for this particular application but this is what they had on the shelf so it's a great start to get the project rolling.

As for power; most of the time we drive well below peak power numbers. It requires way less than 100 hp to maintain 100 km/h unloaded. Towing, not so sure, but if you start with full batteries and tow mode kicks the generator on almost immediately, I see no reason why it can't meet the expected range probably around the same range you'd get towing with any other gasser?

My big question; while towing, are you listening to the pentastar screaming at 4000 RPMs the whole trip, or is it sitting below 2200? My truck tows at 2200 and it's just a gentle/comforting hum you can barely hear, but I'm not listening to a screaming engine the whole trip!

Maintenance wasn't the best choice of words, more like if and when problems arrive EV's can cost more and take longer and there is a shortage of qualified workers.

An issue that comes to mind is the lack of real world data and dealer service center experience in dealing with EV issues. As with any new technology engineers tend to err on the side of caution until a system has proven to be reliable enough that inspection criteria can be relaxed.

I was watching a video on YouTube a few months ago in which an EV owner had run over some road debris and brought the car to the dealer to be inspected. The dealer noted a ding on the tray which protects the batteries. From the pictures it didn’t look all that bad and certainly seemed like something that could be repaired or replaced relatively easily.

Unfortunately the service tech was informed by the OE that the entire battery pack would need to be replaced. I don’t remember the cost but it was significant enough that the insurance company totaled the car.

The YouTube channel that carried the story got involved in some back and forth with the OEM who admitted that the inspection criteria for the EV is still a work in progress.

Back