the New MPG are out. what do you think? thank you Tim for the video

There's also the savings from not having to stop at the gas station as often. Also, I know it sounds weird to some, but I have a hard time not buying something when I go into the gas station to pee on road trips. Hard to calculate those savings.
Not a tower but I’d imagine fewer stops at the gas station while pulling a trailer would make for a less stressful trip.

On a long trip you still need to stop and stretch the legs or use the facilities but pulling into a rest stop on the interstate won’t cost me as much time as taking an exit to find a gas station.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the crossover point for mileage driven per year to make the diesel a better option?
One easy way I found is using the fueleconomy.gov website. They allow you to compare the vehicles but then you can customize the fuel costs in your area as well as the annual miles driven and even the percentage of highway vs city driving you do. After you do that and you compare a couple of vehicles, you can easily see how much savings can be made by choosing one motor over another. And of course, you must also factor in the extra maintenance and DEF for the diesels. Like chaseydog said, considering the gas was a $1500 upcharge, the diesel was a no brainer but that calculator on the website would really show it. For me it would be $800 more a year in fuel.

I’ve always thought that Diesel was an interesting option to look at. Unfortunately, my usage case is many short trips for half the year and low overall mileage. As a result I’ve always opted for the gas model for any truck I’ve purchased. I’m on my 5th truck starting in 1994. Does anyone have any thoughts on the crossover point for mileage driven per year to make the diesel a better option? The old school way of looking at it is you wanted to be driving at least 30,000miles per year to make the diesel a no brainer.
I’m in agreement that I thought the fuel savings would be greater on the turbo Tundra and the new Ram. I suppose they wanted to show higher hp and torque than the V8 in both cases. This makes it more difficult to hit low mpg numbers.
Great video Tim, keep up the good work. I would like to drive one of the Standard output and high output Rams to see how they perform.
I have a 2023 GMC SIERRA with the LZ0 3 liter diesel and I average about 12,000 miles per year. I live at 7,500’ and my shortest drive is 35 miles one way. This truck is a great long distance cruiser and my average fuel economy over the first 13,000 miles is 27.9 mpg (hand calculated). IMO, if you drive in the city a lot or make a lot of short trips then buy a gas motor.

One easy way I found is using the fueleconomy.gov website. They allow you to compare the vehicles but then you can customize the fuel costs in your area as well as the annual miles driven and even the percentage of highway vs city driving you do. After you do that and you compare a couple of vehicles, you can easily see how much savings can be made by choosing one motor over another. And of course, you must also factor in the extra maintenance and DEF for the diesels. Like chaseydog said, considering the gas was a $1500 upcharge, the diesel was a no brainer but that calculator on the website would really show it. For me it would be $800 more a year in fuel.
In my 15 months of ownership of an LZ0 I have changed the oil/filter (Mobil 1 ESP X2 0w-20, AC DELCO UPF66R filter) which cost about $50 (DIY). That’s all the maintenance that was required. I did change the fuel filter but only because I was curious to see what it looked like after a year of use. DEF useage is minimal (unless you tow) and the cost of DEF is lost in the noise (IMO).

I have a 2023 GMC SIERRA with the LZ0 3 liter diesel and I average about 12,000 miles per year. I live at 7,500’ and my shortest drive is 35 miles one way. This truck is a great long distance cruiser and my average fuel economy over the first 13,000 miles is 27.9 mpg (hand calculated). IMO, if you drive in the city a lot or make a lot of short trips then buy a gas motor.

That lines up with what I’ve always read. From November to the end of march most of my trips are short city trips(in the cold in Canada). In the summer I’m probably 30% city with the rest 70% highway with towing and increased hauling thrown in. I’m probably averaging less than 10000 miles per year. I was just curious if thoughts had changed on diesels for those short city trips.

That lines up with what I’ve always read. From November to the end of march most of my trips are short city trips(in the cold in Canada). In the summer I’m probably 30% city with the rest 70% highway with towing and increased hauling thrown in. I’m probably averaging less than 10000 miles per year. I was just curious if thoughts had changed on diesels for those short city trips.
FWIW, I did a video on short tripping a diesel after GM gave me a quote. Lots of comments backed up the GM quote and said it was actually idling that causes more problems than short trips.

Huh. 201k views. Not bad!

Ok to Short Trip GM Duramax Diesel? Engineers Respond for Small/Big Diesel Engines

FWIW, I did a video on short tripping a diesel after GM gave me a quote. Lots of comments backed up the GM quote and said it was actually idling that causes more problems than short trips.
That makes a lot of sense. It also answers my question on how much the new small diesel engines have continued to improve. I may have to think more seriously about that option when it’s time to buy a new truck.

During the week my commute is about 6 miles each way. On weekends I’ll usually travel 40 or 50 miles a day. My impression is that the challenge with diesels and short trips is that you may not give the engine enough time to run through a regen. My work around was to install a Banks iDash so I know when I’m about to hit a regen. When I do hit the regen I’ll drive until it’s complete, usually about 10 miles

Back