TFL just broke their Tacoma

Fightnfire

Only the short is available on YouTube right now but it looks to be a pretty minor off-roading situation. All four tires on compact snow and ice trying to climb a slight incline something in the front drive train seems to have gone.

Good thing the cheaper Colorado is there for the rescue 😉

Only the short is available on YouTube right now but it looks to be a pretty minor off-roading situation. All four tires on compact snow and ice trying to climb a slight incline something in the front drive train seems to have gone.

Literally the dream of any YouTube channel is for something like this to happen. The views are going to be insane.

I was just about to post this!

I was just about to post this!

I just sat down on my lunch break to see if anything new was on YouTube. I'll be really curious to see the actual video and a follow-up with what happened.

All joking and poking fun at the Tacoma aside not a good look for the Toyota as that terrain looks pretty simple, like a icy or snowy Forest road.

I am familiar with that trail as that is where they take a lot of off-road vehicles. Those steps have never really challenged anything before, but tires could be part of it too. Andre's truck has the MTs and better traction, but this has me worried. It's a great Chevy commercial for sure!

I am familiar with that trail as that is where they take a lot of off-road vehicles. Those steps have never really challenged anything before, but tires could be part of it too. Andre's truck has the MTs and better traction, but this has me worried. It's a great Chevy commercial for sure!

It definitely looked like the same place they go all the time and yea I don't remember a vehicle really ever even hesitating there. I will say, double down, that is could be a direct result of cheap tires on an Off-Road advertised truck. Toyota has done this for a long time on the TRD OR, which as a consumer actually adds to the cost because they're so bad people feel the need to replace them out of the gate. The already expensive Tacoma just got $1,200 higher.

The Colorado has the Goodyear Wrangler Territoty MT which is really a rugged terrain or true all terrain. (It seems to be the manufacturers tire of choice these days)

Just making the MT distinction because a true mud tire will perform worse on compact snow and ice than an AT.

But also a nightmare for any normal person if it happened to them, and for me as someone looking to buy one.

They'll fix it, and then have 15 years of no issues. This is how Toyota works. Their first year stuff is just as busted as everyone else's but they they take the time to fix it and run with it for a decade or two.

I broke my rule of never buying a first year (my ram is 2019) but only because the drive train was old and well tested; the hemi + zf 8 speed + borg warner 4x4 + 3.21 etc was in use for years in the older trucks and I figured those were the important bits.

Normally I'd never do that regardless of brand.

They'll fix it, and then have 15 years of no issues. This is how Toyota works. Their first year stuff is just as busted as everyone else's but they they take the time to fix it and run with it for a decade or two.

I broke my rule of never buying a first year (my ram is 2019) but only because the drive train was old and well tested; the hemi + zf 8 speed + borg warner 4x4 + 3.21 etc was in use for years in the older trucks and I figured those were the important bits.

Normally I'd never do that regardless of brand.
I have purchased the 1st year of a new or redesigned vehicle several times and it's been fine so far. Some of it is luck for sure though. Hopefully it continues....

2003 Honda PIlot
2017 Audi A4
2007 CRV
2019 Santa Fe

Dear Mr. Mica,

We have received video evidence that you towed with your Tacoma prior to completing the recommended break-in mileage, causing undue driveline component abuse. You have since had the same Tacoma involved in an off-road competition with another truck; video evidence is also available of this event. During the competition, the (insert component Roman broke) failed when you again abused the vehicle.

Owing to these facts, your warranty claim is denied.

Your Toyota Customer Care Team

Toyota, you ain't got the huevos to do it! Hey maybe you do, that would be awesome!

Last edited:
Dear Mr. Mica,

We have received video evidence that you towed with your Tacoma prior to completing the recommended break-in mileage, causing undue driveline component abuse. You have since had the same Tacoma involved in an off-road completion with another truck; video evidence is also available of this event. During the competition, the (insert component Roman broke) failed when you again abused the vehicle.

Owing to these facts, your warranty claim is denied.

Your Toyota Customer Care Team

Toyota, you ain't got the huevos to do it! Hey maybe you do, that would be awesome!

That would be absolutely terrible PR for them and cost them a lot more than the thousands bucks it costs to warranty that. But you never really know what they're thinking these days.

That would be absolutely terrible PR for them and cost them a lot more than the thousands bucks it costs to warranty that. But you never really know what they're thinking these days.
Thinking you are overestimating TFL and underestimating the multitudes of Tacoma Bros (thanks Dude Dad) which will savage Boomer (just barely) Mica for their hit piece on Toyota, showing the scene of him not following the manual on Tik Tok and X and even YT and saying he deliberately abused the truck when he first got it...To break it. Influencer hot takes and crowd sourcing the narrative work wonders against an edited channel; they will be inside TFLs OODA loop in no time.

Its 2024 and Tommy sans glasses is still not hip to save Dad; his popular meme isn't exactly the stuff of Swiftie dreams.

Toyota will cover the truck with warranty because they don't have a choice in the matter. The break-in period is a recommendation not a requirement and the other things that TFL did with the truck are very normal truck things. 0-60, if your vehicle shouldn't be used in a 0 to 60 run it shouldn't be on the road. Donuts in the snow, again it's an off-road truck.

Toyota if they choose to decline any sort of warranty coverage is admitting that they're new Tacoma can't do or isn't capable of doing things other truck manufacturers emphasize.

Arguably, that truck is built specifically to do what they did.

Toyota will cover the truck with warranty because they don't have a choice in the matter. The break-in period is a recommendation not a requirement and the other things that TFL did with the truck are very normal truck things. 0-60, if your vehicle shouldn't be used in a 0 to 60 run it shouldn't be on the road. Donuts in the snow, again it's an off-road truck.

Toyota if they choose to decline any sort of warranty coverage is admitting that they're new Tacoma can't do or isn't capable of doing things other truck manufacturers emphasize.

I agree with that. I should have been fine. Now a little further up that tail, I have seen other vehicles struggle there quite a bit. Andre's Trailboss had some issues with the G80 not kicking in right away, but it did make the obstacle. With those conditions and the tires on the off-road, I don't know if I would have wanted to try that next obstacle.

My suggestion was more tongue in cheek, but the Evo owners experience with Mitsubishi does give pause:

https://www.motortrend.com/features/toyota-warranty-coverage-details-info/

"Other exemptions to this coverage include damage or failures that result from abuse, negligence, or misuse; improper alterations or repairs; environmental or situational conditions like weather events; and crashes, accidents, or theft."

Toyota will probably repair it, but it would be nice if TFL got taught a lesson and Subaru isn't exactly in bad shape since the gave TFL the "no more" message.

Agreed. I could kind of see an argument being made that not following the break in recommendations could lead to premeture wear, but an out right failure on a new vehicle sounds like something that was going to happen regardless.

Just watched the long-form video. It seems like something mechanical and not anyone's fault. The rule for off-road is being prepared for when something breaks, because something will break. Good recovery plan as well. My only thing is I think they should go to the dealer first and not try to diagnose it themselves. I also don't think the tires had anything to do with it. Both trucks struggled over the icy rocks. Ice is tough on all tires.

Back