Sequoia review went live

testerdahl

Administrator
Staff member
There was a comment on Tundras.com wondering about the recall and why the Sequoia wasn’t involved. Here is my response.

So I just dropped a Sequoia video today on the YT channel. Talk about being torn. I had a long conversation with the head of west coast PR for Toyota. I wanted to bring up the recall in the video. We had a healthy debate. I dropped it and instead put a note in the comments. Why? Did I back down? No. I thought about it a LOT. Ultimately, since there is not an active recall on the hybrid AND I can’t change YouTube videos after the fact, I felt it was unfair for everyone to talk about a possible recall coming that may affect the vehicle. I don’t have a crystal ball.

It did put me into quite the pickle. I mean, if I do talk about it and it doesn’t happen, I’m the idiot who assumed. If I don’t talk about it and it does happen, then I’ll get the “this didn’t age well” comments and be dismissed as a sell-out Toyota fan.

Now, I also have a Lexus TX video that was filmed BEFORE the recall that I’ve been sitting on. I’m currently going through a lot of thinking on that video. Should I add a segment about the recall? Should I not? Should an active recall make it into a review that could live on YouTube for years and years. Imagine watching that video in 3-5 years and then wondering if the recall is still active. Is that fair? Am I a sell out if I don’t talk about the recall. Ugh. This crap will tie your head up like a pretzel.

New Platinum with TRD Package! 2024 Toyota Sequoia Top Likes, Dislikes

I would include it for the TX. It helps buyers looking at a used unit and they can check or ask if the recall was complete. Or if a problem happens and they watch your video, they can fight the dealer/corporate if they get charge for the repairs that were suppose to be covered by the recall.

Videos with recall/TSB information helped me with both my Nissan Armada and my Ford Ranger.

I would include it for the TX. It helps buyers looking at a used unit and they can check or ask if the recall was complete. Or if a problem happens and they watch your video, they can fight the dealer/corporate if they get charge for the repairs that were suppose to be covered by the recall.

Videos with recall/TSB information helped me with both my Nissan Armada and my Ford Ranger.
Follow-up question. I get a Tundra TRD PRO at the end of July. What do you do with that one?

Follow-up question. I get a Tundra TRD PRO at the end of July. What do you do with that one?
If your goal is to make consumers informed then put all the cards on the table and give us all the facts as you know them at the time. Make sure you emphasize that this is what the situation is at this point in time. That’s good enough for me. 👍

I would talk about the recall and then say that the Tundra TRD PRO at the time of the review is not part of the recall and why.

If you want to cover your butt, maybe you could cut to you in your office when you talk about that and start with a disclaimer about the current situation and that if you watch in the future, the situation may be different.

I don't know, I'm not a youtuber and that stuff isn't easy when making a video or an article lol

I would talk about the recall and then say that the Tundra TRD PRO at the time of the review is not part of the recall and why.

If you want to cover your butt, maybe you could cut to you in your office when you talk about that and start with a disclaimer about the current situation and that if you watch in the future, the situation may be different.

I don't know, I'm not a youtuber and that stuff isn't easy when making a video or an article lol
Oh trust me, my job looks easy on paper, then my head gets involved and who the hell knows where I end up. LOL

Another tough call considering the recall doesn't cover this MY....yet. I don't understand why they would have an issue with you mentioning it. My response would simply be, "well then, don't leave debris in the engine if you don't want us to talk about it."

Could you state it like this? "This is the 2024 Tundra Pro. Which is not currently affected by the Toyota recall on Tundra engines."

I don't want to put words in your mouth Tim but I feel like you told us that Hybrid Tundra was affected but not recalled because it doesn't lose motive power due to the hybrid system so it's not a "major" safety concern. I think you have to cover the facts and mention the quality and ongoing recall issue as well as the current resale issues. You could include a statement at the beginning or somewhere with "as of July 2024" so people down the road can clarify when the video was created. I'm sure down the road you'll get a 2025 or 2026 model and can create a new video then, hopefully all of this will be behind Toyota by then.

As others have mentioned it's appreciated you don't take an angle, but you do report facts and unfortunately for Toyota those are the facts right now.

I'll be 100% transparent, if I knew about the ongoing issues with the Tundra and watched your video and didn't see these concerns talked about it would hurt your channels credibility in my eyes.

I don't want to put words in your mouth Tim but I feel like you told us that Hybrid Tundra was affected but not recalled because it doesn't lose motive power due to the hybrid system so it's not a "major" safety concern. I think you have to cover the facts and mention the quality and ongoing recall issue as well as the current resale issues. You could include a statement at the beginning or somewhere with "as of July 2024" so people down the road can clarify when the video was created. I'm sure down the road you'll get a 2025 or 2026 model and can create a new video then, hopefully all of this will be behind Toyota by then.

As others have mentioned it's appreciated you don't take an angle, but you do report facts and unfortunately for Toyota those are the facts right now.

I'll be 100% transparent, if I knew about the ongoing issues with the Tundra and watched your video and didn't see these concerns talked about it would hurt your channels credibility in my eyes.
It's a tough one for sure. You are well versed in the industry and would spot the obvious miss. Someone who isn't paying that much attention is going to be like, "wait, what? WHAT THE HELL IS THIS? Does he HATE TOYOTA?"

Double-edged sword.

Correct the hybrid is not affected due to motive power and it isn't as major of a safety concern because it can keep moving forward. That's the way I read it.

It's a tough one for sure. You are well versed in the industry and would spot the obvious miss. Someone who isn't paying that much attention is going to be like, "wait, what? WHAT THE HELL IS THIS? Does he HATE TOYOTA?"

Double-edged sword.

Correct the hybrid is not affected due to motive power and it isn't as major of a safety concern because it can keep moving forward. That's the way I read it.
We all know you really hate GM because they stole the headlight switch and make you use a step stool to get in. :p

I think everyone knows the hybrid will be recalled as well. How can it not be if those engines were made on the same assembly line as the others? They've already admitted the manufacturing screw up so it's just timing. And I get the safety thing so they will address the none hybrids first. Honestly, I'm more curious if it will expand any farther like to the 2024s.

We all know you really hate GM because they stole the headlight switch and make you use a step stool to get in. :p

I think everyone knows the hybrid will be recalled as well. How can it not be if those engines were made on the same assembly line as the others? They've already admitted the manufacturing screw up so it's just timing. And I get the safety thing so they will address the none hybrids first. Honestly, I'm more curious if it will expand any farther like to the 2024s.
So, funny related story. I was out filming the Canyon at a little after sunrise this morning and turned on the headlights to show up on the video. Got back to the house and truck wouldn't stop beeping. At first I thought it was just the rear-seat reminder. Then, I remembered the headlights were on. I had to turn the truck back on to accessory mode, wait for the screen to load and then turn them off. Tell me how that's better than a knob??

So, funny related story. I was out filming the Canyon at a little after sunrise this morning and turned on the headlights to show up on the video. Got back to the house and truck wouldn't stop beeping. At first I thought it was just the rear-seat reminder. Then, I remembered the headlights were on. I had to turn the truck back on to accessory mode, wait for the screen to load and then turn them off. Tell me how that's better than a knob??
Good way to drain a battery.

And there you have it! You found a good and logical reason to have a switch. The extra steps required if you have to shut them off manually.

Back