Semper Fi. 2024 Tundra Limited....questions for ya!

jarbarian

Hey Folks. n00b to this forum, but not a n00b in general. I've had many Toyotas since 2001, all new. 3x4Runners, 2xTundras, 2xRav4s, 1xLexusIS350 and 2xTacomas. Holy crap, that's a lot of Yota!

Selling my 2020 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport. Asking a LOT for it (because it's been 100% garaged, 8400 miles in total, no damage, TRD wheels, etc). Asking (don't yell at me) 41k ONLY because dealers are asking for the same truck, with higher miles, 43k+!!! So, I am asking for a civil opinion, not to be berated. Fair price?

Now, I say that to tell you this. I am interested in 2024 Tundra Limited TRD NON HYBRID version. If you have one, I am asking if you've had any issues in 2022-2024 that I need to worry about and what is a fair OTD price to pay.

There are MORE than I can laugh about with the iForce Max hybrids, but I have no interest in that. I don't want the battery and the problems it CAN present, I don't want to have to replace it eventually and honestly, I am not pulling anything that requires the extra torque.

Please let me know your honest opinion and SEMPER FI to my Marine bros/sis' out there.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
I think it's a fair price if you aren't in any sort of a hurry. As for the Tundra, Tim recently did a video on known issues of the Tundra plus tons of videos on the one he owned.

Yes, thank you on both counts. I did watch the video which brought me here. Was hoping to hear some firsthand stories. Should I wait until late 2024 to pick up a new Tundra Limited TRD 4x4? No hurry to sell the indestructible Taco!

I figured as much, I don't have any personal experience with the Tundra I put a couple hundred thousand miles on a second gen Tacoma but moved to GMC instead of the Tundra.

Hopefully somebody chimes in with real experiences, good luck!

Why the GMC over Tundra? I just can't get myself to buy a USA truck. Had so many nightmares over the years with Ford, Chevy and Dodge that I had enough. I'm glad you got what you wanted though, and that is all that matters.

Have to be honest. 10 Toyotas over my lifetime, all new, ZERO issues (which is why I keep buying them).

Why the GMC over Tundra? I just can't get myself to buy a USA truck. Had so many nightmares over the years with Ford, Chevy and Dodge that I had enough. I'm glad you got what you wanted though, and that is all that matters.

Have to be honest. 10 Toyotas over my lifetime, all new, ZERO issues (which is why I keep buying them).

That's a tricky question but I guess it really comes down a few things. I don't think there is one truck manufacturer making the worst or the best truck anymore. They're all relatively equal, I say that because I don't think Toyota is making the truck they use to. For selling such a significantly less amount of trucks than ford or GM there's seems to be a similar stream of issues with the 3rd gen Tacoma and the new Tundra. The drivetrain in the 3rd gen Tacoma was terrible and was never solved by Toyota fix attempts. The Tundra has even more variety of reported issues.

Also, I can't get behind the looks of where they're taking their products. So angular and in your face with a bunch of fake plastics (fake vents, scoops etc.). Just not for me. I moved to GMC in 2021 and just thought it was the best looking and driving of the big 3 (4 incl. Toyota) I also bought the extended warranty but I would have purchased that with a Toyota or any truck too, so the money was the same for added peace of mind.

Not to trash on anyones personal flavor or opinions, we like what we like but I think when it comes to full size trucks... they're all about the same build wise anymore.

Still around Miramar/San Diego? seems fair for that region. If you are going to MCAS Kaneohe, take it up to $51K. There is a reason Toyota introduced the 2024 Tacoma in Hawaii:

http://www.kwautobody.com/blog/2019/2/25/whats-the-deal-with-all-the-tacomas-3-reasons-why-hawaii-loves-the-toyota-tacoma#:~:text=Additionally%2C%20Hawaii's%20location%20in%20the,perfect%20target%20market%20for%20Toyota.

That many Toyotas on a military salary? Okay, maybe you are flag rank or close or just devoted your special pays to vehicles.

Had to look up the patch. Last dedicated legacy Hornet RAG (FRS) is now gone, crazy. It was shiny and new when I joined up in '83. Air Force did the same with the A-10C a while back; the training squadrons are now with an operational wing, not the training command.

As for there Tundra, it was a short lister, but the fuel economy was a deterrent in the last gen (child has a 300 series Land Cruiser) and the new one has some good looks and bad looks, the roof and grille just are a turn-off to me...To each his own, really like the new Tacoma's looks.

Former US Marine, took the first new F/A-18 in 1988. Been out since 1991. I do IT nerdy stuff now and am in Florida. Fled CA in 2014 and am so happy.

What do you own now. I like my Taco just too small for my needs.

Former US Marine, took the first new F/A-18 in 1988. Been out since 1991. I do IT nerdy stuff now and am in Florida. Fled CA in 2014 and am so happy.

What do you own now. I like my Taco just too small for my needs.
Working in a capacity with some cyber aviation associated stuff also. Florida price may depend on what area of the state, South Florida maybe correct, North/Central, may be a bit high, but worth a shot.

Semper Fi brother. I was stationed at K-Bay back in the early 80’s when we were still flying F4’s. Bought an 86 Power Ram W250 when I got out, but then moved to cars/SUVs for 35 years or so until I picked up my 24 GMC AT4 3.0L Duramax.

I owned a Highlander for 10 years, my only Toyota, but it was relatively problem free. Initially I was considering a Tocoma or Conyon as a replacement for the Highlander but eventually decided I wanted a full size pick up. Preferred the look of the GMC over the Tundra, but the diesel option is probably what swayed me in the he end.

Semper Fi brother. I was stationed at K-Bay back in the early 80’s when we were still flying F4’s. Bought an 86 Power Ram W250 when I got out, but then moved to cars/SUVs for 35 years or so until I picked up my 24 GMC AT4 3.0L Duramax.

I owned a Highlander for 10 years, my only Toyota, but it was relatively problem free. Initially I was considering a Tocoma or Conyon as a replacement for the Highlander but eventually decided I wanted a full size pick up. Preferred the look of the GMC over the Tundra, but the diesel option is probably what swayed me in the he end.
Not to derail, but F-4N or F-4S? Ah, the wail of a J-79!

Found this, read the squadron was there:

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/mcdonnell-f-4s-phantom-ii/nasm_A19890038000

Last edited:
Nice. We actually saw VMFAT-101's last F-4 fly off and first F/A-18A fly in. In all fairness I have a love affair between F-14s and F-15s. That's when we didn't mess around.

But in the end, if I was legally allow to buy one, it'd be an A-10. Nothing was more feared around the world than that sound. "Brrrrrrrrrrrrrap!"

And, being an aviation lover, we screwed the pooch on the F-22. I still believe the YF-23 was the superior aircraft. Always will :)

Last edited:
Holy crap, are we all Naval Aviation reps? I was a skid-kid from the HMLAs for 22 years. Always Camp Pen as a home base until my twilight tour with 4th MAW.

Sounds like good price on your Taco. Seems to be in line with others. You'd make even more up here in the rust belt but it's not worth the effort. The Tundra should be fine. You weighed the pros/cons and made the call, run with it. As the famous tattoo says, no regerts...

Holy crap, are we all Naval Aviation reps? I was a skid-kid from the HMLAs for 22 years. Always Camp Pen as a home base until my twilight tour with 4th MAW.

Sounds like good price on your Taco. Seems to be in line with others. You'd make even more up here in the rust belt but it's not worth the effort. The Tundra should be fine. You weighed the pros/cons and made the call, run with it. As the famous tattoo says, no regerts...
Started with the Navy, but not an Airedale (or is it non-dog Airdale?). Aviation stuff with USAF, though I got some straphanger time with VP-4 "White Worms" in the Gulf War. Mostly MC-130E and MC-130P time with 8 SOS and 67 SOS. Able to try a boom check on KC-135R and even some crew support on an E-3C.

Central Florida is a weird market, most all of my Fam there and they all drive Acura MDXs!

Nice. We actually saw VMFAT-101's last F-4 fly off and first F/A-18A fly in. In all fairness I have a love affair between F-14s and F-15s. That's when we didn't mess around.

But in the end, if I was legally allow to buy one, it'd be an A-10. Nothing was more feared around the world than that sound. "Brrrrrrrrrrrrrap!"

And, being an aviation lover, we screwed the pooch on the F-22. I still believe the YF-23 was the superior aircraft. Always will :)

Great video on the selection process from the Chief Engineer of the ATF program...Lot of AF AQ ("Ack") jargon, but highly informative.

Man you guys are really hitting my inner teenage self who watched Top Gun, the original, way, wayyyy too many times.

Man you guys are really hitting my inner teenage self who watched Top Gun, the original, way, wayyyy too many times.
Got to see the original movie over at Incirlik AB in '86. We were acting as the 440 Tactical Fighter Med at the time and it was the first showing for most all of us...And later in the evening. The theater was filled with F-16A jocks and the comments during the flying scenes were priceless. Let's just say Mav, Goose, Iceman and Slider and their Tomcats were thought to be easy pickings in the knife fights shown in the movie.

Back