Sealed transmission question. Do you need to service it?

testerdahl

Administrator
Staff member
From my inbox:

"My name is Mario D. from San Antonio, TX. I just finished reading your article on Victor Sheppard's 2nd million mile Tundra. Interesting read. My father has an 07 Tundra (5.7) with just over 100k. He's torn on whether or not he should service the transmission (drain and fill). He's talked to some Toyota service techs that say there's no need as they are "sealed", while he's heard from other mechanics every transmission needs servicing. My question to you is, and I understand it might be a long shot, but would you mind reaching out to Victor and asking him if he would service his transmissions? Or did he leave it untouched?"

My response:

The short answer is: once at 700k miles when the transmission acted up.

The long answer is you are going to get a lot of different opinions on this topic. Why? Things have changed so quickly for oils, service departments don't always keep up.

Over the years, we've seen lots of changes with regards to oil. For example, synthetic oils have now become the oil of choice. When I was growing up in the late 1990s, synthetics were new and most people didn't understand them. You'd go to the dealer and get offered multiple choices of oil. Now, we are using super lightweight oil with much higher wear resistance and longer life than ever imagined back then.

The same is true for transmission oil. It is now synthetic and is rated to last the life of the transmission. It isn't "sealed" per se, you can still access it, but there's no longer a dipstick because you don't need to check it. Some owners hate that answer and will check their transmission oil and flush it regularly. Some Service departments will do the same thing relying on the "what we always done" approach. I found one service department that recommended a transmission fluid flush at 30,000 miles. That's some old school thinking.

Finally, one more example on how fast things change. A few years ago, Toyota did away with the transmission cooler on the 2019 Tundra and Sequoia. Why? An engineer looked at the temperatures the transmission was hitting and realized, they didn't need the cooler. Synthetic transmission fluid can regularly run in the 200 degree range and even higher without breaking down. Toyota designed the Tundra back in 2013 and just in the course of 6 years, they discovered they didn't need it. Interestingly enough, the 2024 Tacoma and 2022 Tundra (the new one) both have transmission coolers. The engineers tell me that's more to do with the heat created by the turbocharged engines than the transmission.

For me, it all comes down to several factors:

1. How do you use your truck? Towing all the time? Live in a cold climate with temperatures below freezing and hauling or towing stuff?
2. How new is the truck? If you have a truck built in the past decade, you shouldn't worry about the transmission like the older trucks.
3. What oil came with the truck? If it is from factory, it has synthetic.

You'll find the 2-3 min section of this video helpful:

I cannot speak about this particular truck but my opinion in general is that the manufacturer saying it does not need to be serviced is dead wrong. They want you to have to buy another truck.

My wife inherited the 2018 Rogue, which is known to have CVT failures. I has the tranny serviced at 30k and will continue to do so as long as we own it. And to be fair, I have had tranny service performed on all the vehicle we have owned for long periods of time whether the manufacturer says it is sealed or not.

From my inbox:

"My name is Mario D. from San Antonio, TX. I just finished reading your article on Victor Sheppard's 2nd million mile Tundra. Interesting read. My father has an 07 Tundra (5.7) with just over 100k. He's torn on whether or not he should service the transmission (drain and fill). He's talked to some Toyota service techs that say there's no need as they are "sealed", while he's heard from other mechanics every transmission needs servicing. My question to you is, and I understand it might be a long shot, but would you mind reaching out to Victor and asking him if he would service his transmissions? Or did he leave it untouched?"

My response:

The short answer is: once at 700k miles when the transmission acted up.

The long answer is you are going to get a lot of different opinions on this topic. Why? Things have changed so quickly for oils, service departments don't always keep up.

Over the years, we've seen lots of changes with regards to oil. For example, synthetic oils have now become the oil of choice. When I was growing up in the late 1990s, synthetics were new and most people didn't understand them. You'd go to the dealer and get offered multiple choices of oil. Now, we are using super lightweight oil with much higher wear resistance and longer life than ever imagined back then.

The same is true for transmission oil. It is now synthetic and is rated to last the life of the transmission. It isn't "sealed" per se, you can still access it, but there's no longer a dipstick because you don't need to check it. Some owners hate that answer and will check their transmission oil and flush it regularly. Some Service departments will do the same thing relying on the "what we always done" approach. I found one service department that recommended a transmission fluid flush at 30,000 miles. That's some old school thinking.

Finally, one more example on how fast things change. A few years ago, Toyota did away with the transmission cooler on the 2019 Tundra and Sequoia. Why? An engineer looked at the temperatures the transmission was hitting and realized, they didn't need the cooler. Synthetic transmission fluid can regularly run in the 200 degree range and even higher without breaking down. Toyota designed the Tundra back in 2013 and just in the course of 6 years, they discovered they didn't need it. Interestingly enough, the 2024 Tacoma and 2022 Tundra (the new one) both have transmission coolers. The engineers tell me that's more to do with the heat created by the turbocharged engines than the transmission.

For me, it all comes down to several factors:

1. How do you use your truck? Towing all the time? Live in a cold climate with temperatures below freezing and hauling or towing stuff?
2. How new is the truck? If you have a truck built in the past decade, you shouldn't worry about the transmission like the older trucks.
3. What oil came with the truck? If it is from factory, it has synthetic.

You'll find the 2-3 min section of this video helpful:
Good video, but I slightly disagree with her on the 100k mile service. Never go that long, regardless of use. It's important to rid the fluid of contamination early on around 50kish, and continue with periodic changes from there.
My family and I owned several 2nd gen tundras, (still have a 21 company truck)and we did this exact thing with ours, used primarily for towing. We only did drain and fills, running amsoil ATL and the transmission loved the stuff. Can't say enough about ATL. Great choice.
FYI, WS toyota fluid is NOT full synthetic. Only a blend.

Manufacturers can say some bizzare things. Ram claims the ZF 8 speed is lifetime fill, and yet ZF (who actually designed and builds the transmission, its not Ram's tranny) says it needs to be changed every 100k or so. I believe it's even earlier if you tow a lot.

We need an oil thread in this forum lol. I'll never let my oil go half as long as these trucks say you can go. Whether that's engine oil, transmission, diffs, etc, it all gets tossed out and replaced. And yes I do monitor my engine oil every time with used oil analysis from a lab.

When I got my new truck, I changed the first oil at 5k. Then I loaded Pennzoil in and sent pulled samples every 2k after 6000miles to establish an OCI. At 12K, they said the oil had plenty of life in it and I could go further. (Others had reached 15K with that oil.) I stuck with 12K as my absolute max and usually changed it between 10-12k. The manual said don't exceed 8000 but that's based on non-synthetic.

When I got my new truck, I changed the first oil at 5k. Then I loaded Pennzoil in and sent pulled samples every 2k after 6000miles to establish an OCI. At 12K, they said the oil had plenty of life in it and I could go further. (Others had reached 15K with that oil.) I stuck with 12K as my absolute max and usually changed it between 10-12k. The manual said don't exceed 8000 but that's based on non-synthetic.
Pennzoil platinum? Good stuff, and it's throwing great UOL. I hate to go shopping, so I prefer to order amsoil and get it at my doorstep in a couple days. Ye, a good quality synthetic can easily go 10k/1 year without too much difficulty. But it's good to keep an eye on it just to be sure.

Manufacturers can say some bizzare things. Ram claims the ZF 8 speed is lifetime fill, and yet ZF (who actually designed and builds the transmission, its not Ram's tranny) says it needs to be changed every 100k or so. I believe it's even earlier if you tow a lot.

We need an oil thread in this forum lol. I'll never let my oil go half as long as these trucks say you can go. Whether that's engine oil, transmission, diffs, etc, it all gets tossed out and replaced. And yes I do monitor my engine oil every time with used oil analysis from a lab.
When it comes to diffs and Trans fluid, I think it's best to go off the severe service maintenance guide. If not a little sooner.

Pennzoil platinum? Good stuff, and it's throwing great UOL. I hate to go shopping, so I prefer to order amsoil and get it at my doorstep in a couple days. Ye, a good quality synthetic can easily go 10k/1 year without too much difficulty. But it's good to keep an eye on it just to be sure.
What pisses me off is my buddy runs the same OCI but fills it up with Walmart oil. He's got 160K and no "tick".....just goes to show.

What pisses me off is my buddy runs the same OCI but fills it up with Walmart oil. He's got 160K and no "tick".....just goes to show.
I wouldn't go that long on Walmart oil without a UOA on every change. Hell, if you're gonna do that, might just as well spend that extra money on better oil and not worry about it. JMO

If this is the hemi you're talking about, tick is due to a failure in the manufacturing of the lifter itself. You either get a bad lifter from the factory or you don't. There is a lot of myth circulating about the hemi tick, all the way from bad block design to extensive idling to low idle rpm etc, but those theories all have a whole in them.

My truck gets changed at 5000 to 7000 miles. This is twice a year for me. Lets say I could reduce it down to once a year and do 10 to 13k miles, that saves me what, $80 on oil a year give or take? $80 on a truck that cost me $55,000+ CAD. I spend more on gas in two weeks.

My truck gets changed at 5000 to 7000 miles. This is twice a year for me. Lets say I could reduce it down to once a year and do 10 to 13k miles, that saves me what, $80 on oil a year give or take? $80 on a truck that cost me $55,000+ CAD. I spend more on gas in two weeks.
Well sure, you can substantiate it down to changing it every 1000 miles if you want to. And I knew somebody who did that. Doesn't mean it will matter, and that's my point. The facts remain that you cannot correlate any of that to true engine longevity. Obviously, we're not talking extremes like going 30K without changing it, but they gotta build them and warranty them based on people going to Walmart at the max interval and running the cheapest oil that meets spec.

If this is the hemi you're talking about, tick is due to a failure in the manufacturing of the lifter itself. You either get a bad lifter from the factory or you don't. There is a lot of myth circulating about the hemi tick, all the way from bad block design to extensive idling to low idle rpm etc, but those theories all have a whole in them.
Yeah, every Ram owner this, nothing new. And I've seen some who had the lifters changed, started ticking down the road again. Shit happens, I never worry about it. Mines ticked longer than when it didn't tick. And I idle the hell out of it.

I wouldn't go that long on Walmart oil without a UOA on every change. Hell, if you're gonna do that, might just as well spend that extra money on better oil and not worry about it. JMO
To him, he just shrugs his shoulders and answers, "It's a truck, I work it hard. If it lasts 20-30K less than others, oh well." He doesn't neglect anything per say, but he doesn't waste time over thinking it or overpaying for stuff either. He just isn't passionate about it. But his lawn? That must be perfectly fertilized, mowed, and weed free. Me? I'll mow it but I'm not wasting money on fertilizer. The slower it grows, the better.

Well sure, you can substantiate it down to changing it every 1000 miles if you want to. And I knew somebody who did that. Doesn't mean it will matter, and that's my point. The facts remain that you cannot correlate any of that to true engine longevity. Obviously, we're not talking extremes like going 30K without changing it, but they gotta build them and warranty them based on people going to Walmart at the max interval and running the cheapest oil that meets spec.

You can go to both extremes, but changing at 5k isn't all that short. There is a definite correlation between changing oil often and longevity. On the hemi it's not worth the risk running oil long, the lifter failure can be exacerbated by soot/dirty/varnished oil. Now add the fact that my truck tows, how much I paid for the truck, how much it costs to do an extra oil change per year and it's a no brainer decision IMHO.

Yeah, every Ram owner this, nothing new. And I've seen some who had the lifters changed, started ticking down the road again. Shit happens, I never worry about it. Mines ticked longer than when it didn't tick. And I idle the hell out of it.

There are at least 4 different sounds that people have labeled as "hemi tick", but only one of those ticks is lifter failure. You might not have any lifter issues at all. Different oils can also quiet the valvetrain down.

There are at least 4 different sounds that people have labeled as "hemi tick", but only one of those ticks is lifter failure. You might not have any lifter issues at all. Different oils can also quiet the valvetrain down.
What viscosity does ram want you to run? 20w? I would assume that a heavier oil could be justified, and possibly quiet it down?

What viscosity does ram want you to run? 20w? I would assume that a heavier oil could be justified, and possibly quiet it down?

They're all over the map. In the 1500 they used to spec 5w-20, with 5w-30 being allowed if the 5w-20 isn't available. Current 1500's spec 0w-20 only.

In the 2500, the 5.7 (same engine just detuned vs the 1500) recommended 5w-30.

In the 2500 6.4 (which apparently has the same clearances) they call for 0w-40.

A higher viscosity can definitely contribute to quieting it down, but I've had very quiet 5w-20 oil as well so it's not just viscosity. Higher amounts of moly in the oil seem to help too, for example. I've also read that Boron can help.

It should be obvious. I'm specifically speaking of the lifter tick, most don't acknowledge the others.

It should be obvious. I'm specifically speaking of the lifter tick, most don't acknowledge the others.

So just to be clear, you have a very audible, permanent tick that can be heard on a hot idle inside the truck with the windows closed? Do you have a recording of it outside the truck?

Back