RTFM

Do people actually follow that BS about premium versus regular gas in their vehicles?
Yup. I get emails all the time. They all report smoother performance and better fuel economy. It remains one of our most searched for articles we have written over the years on which trucks require or recommend premium.

Yup. I get emails all the time. They all report smoother performance and better fuel economy. It remains one of our most searched for articles we have written over the years on which trucks require or recommend premium.
I have people tell me that all the time. "Premium is just better, cleaner gas and runs better and has more power, better mpg, etc."

When I take delivery of my Bugatti Tourbillion I am pulling up to the pump and getting peasant fuel just like the rest of my vehicles. :)

Premium fuel is so much more expensive it's not worth it in my opinion. It's 20-30% higher than 87 octane here. I wouldn't buy a truck that required premium. The reason it might be slightly more efficient and make more power is the engine can have higher compression ratios and more advanced spark timing without knock. I've never seen 20-30% better mpg though.

Premium fuel is so much more expensive it's not worth it in my opinion. It's 20-30% higher than 87 octane here. I wouldn't buy a truck that required premium. The reason it might be slightly more efficient and make more power is the engine can have higher compression ratios and more advanced spark timing without knock. I've never seen 20-30% better mpg though.
All gas has the same BTU content so octane doesn’t make any difference to energy content just detonation resistance as you already stated. Gasoline - 125,000 BTU/gallon, Diesel - 138,700 BTU/ gallon.

Back